throw distance of off market fog lights?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know the throw distance of most off market fog lights?

Does the light beam throw depend upon the diameter of the reflector? any guess?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by "off market"? After market? Purely guessing from your question about throw, do you actually mean driving lights or pencil beams and not fog lights?

Most actual fog lights(Meaning a low, wide, flat bar of light with as little upward light spill as possible, and not just any yellow light.) throw 150 feet or less. They're not designed to throw any great distance, but to be used in inclement weather where you shouldn't be driving fast anyway. If you want throw, there are dedicated lights which will shine a beam for over a mile.

The general rule is that round reflectors are best, and the bigger the better. Most square or rectangular reflectors waste most of the light that hits the top and the bottom of the reflector. Also, generally a bigger reflector = more efficient = more light where you want it for the same bulb output. There are definitely exceptions to this.

:buddies:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: throw distance of after market fog lights?

sorry. I misspelled the word "after" as "off". :shakehead

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The general rule is that round reflectors are best, ...
Are you talking about driving lights there? That's definitely my preference, but for fog lights my impression is that it's easier to get a suitable beam pattern with elliptical or rectangular lights.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was talking about any kind of light, but it's far more pronounced with fog lights and Euro beam headlights. Like I wrote, generally most of the light that hits the top and bottom of the reflector is wasted. The silvered top of the reflector directs light down, where as the bottom of the reflector directs light up.............right where you don't want it. Yes I know there is a cutoff on some bulbs(like H4's) but it's still not as good as round lights that don't have that flat bottom.

Like I wrote, it's "generally" and like all things there are exceptions to this.

:buddies: