Single Seoul, Copper pipe

Simon Nicolas

Newly Enlightened
Hi

My single-Seoul P4-U, 10 degrees optic bicycle lamp. Made from copper pipe and pipe-caps, plus some soldering, drilling and gluing, (without any more advanced tools than a hammer ;).
Handlebar mount is from Cateye lamp (interchangeable), switch and standard plug from old electronics stuff. Some leather at rear end is for electric protection - power supply might be from 5 to 40 Volt, touching a housing with 40V might be risky for LED. Efficiency up to 85%.
At 1A it is really very bright!

Simon Nicolas

Newly Enlightened
I have just noticed, that there is bicycle lights sub-forum...maybe moderators will move there this thread.

Simon Nicolas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your comments!!
The pipe is standard hot water 28mm, and inside there is a cap which usually fits on (AFAIR) 25mm pipes (it is pipe-end for soldering). Of course there would be 1mm loose space when I would put a cap inside the pipe, so I wrapped a cup with a sheet of 1mm copper plate, put it inside the pipe, warmed it with gas cooker and soldered together with Sn97Cn3 solder. Easy :)

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened
My single-Seoul P4-U, 10 degrees optic bicycle lamp. Made from copper pipe and pipe-caps, plus some soldering, drilling and gluing, (without any more advanced tools than a hammer ;).
Handlebar mount is from Cateye lamp (interchangeable), switch and standard plug from old electronics stuff.

Thanks for sharing, Simon. Add my accolades to the pile. I have a few questions for you: Given that you only used very simple tools, how did you make the hole in the end cap that retains the optic? What's on the other end of those four socket head screws that keep the end caps on? Maybe a nut JB Welded on, or did you somehow tap fine threads into the thin copper? And which optic fits nicely in there?

Thanks,
Stephen

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
yes i like it too......how about making a matching pair but with
one of these ..................

......... and make it pure flood :devil:

If I recall right the vF on that tri-rebel is ~9v+ and I'm sure the thing would heat up like a stove coil. o_O;; Woud be interesting on how to make the heatsink look nice yet small for that. Also it's killing me no one has optics out yet for it.