NO Dissasemble Enloop gizzard pics

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are low bandwidth pictures in this thread, if you dont see them, then the server that serves them is messed up, generally this only lasts for a while, but if it isnt working , i myself wouldnt know and you will.

I had cut the nipple off a enloop....
enl-01.JPG

and it revealed this rubber (type) cap thing inside...
enl-02.JPG

and what looked like a vent hole
so i poked a non conductive thing in there, to see if there was another seal, and bumbed into somthing, Intrigued ...
enl-03.JPG

i bandsawed the top off (wearing face shield)
enl-04.JPG

this revealed a soft plastic blue insulator with hole in it

enl-05.JPG

i used a nail as a pick and lifted up this soft insulator thing
and now i could see the electrolyte roll
enl-06.JPG

well the cell is this far apart now, , , so i slice it down the sides
enl-07.JPG

then i bent one side down
this picture was supposed to show one layer set of the roll from the side
but i am not sure it shows all layers
enl-08.JPG

and then i could see the bottom soft plastic blue insulator
enl-08b.JPG

as you can see i did cut part of the roll, which is showing on the bottom side in the pic
enl-09.JPG

see the can has no texture, although it might have looked that way
enl-10.JPG

so then i figured, you would want to see how this all stacks or layers up
so before it came to pieces, i shot this picture, which shows the layers in position

enl-011.JPG

then i rolled it out, remember a bit of it was cut off and is still in the other half shell.
dont be FOOLED, the dark grey is BLACK its carbon type black
the picture is just light up highly.

the top cap (anode i guess) is connected with 2 short metal bands
to both sides of the crumbley black layer

enl-12.JPG

then i tore each piece, to attempt to understand its properties
one has about 4 layers, tore like wet paper
one has 1 layer tore like wet paper
and on the right center, that crumbled
the bottom right mesh thing is metalic
enl-13.JPG

this was taken before i tore it obviously, it has all the pieces laid out
they are not nessiarily in "layered order", only the rolled out pic would show that.

if you need to see anything else, tell me quick, cause somebody just opened the garage and drove over the top of it :crackup:

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
What i Lernt:

1) it can vent without bursting like some cheap cells

2) the crumbley anode connecting piece, means dropping this , damaging it, just like other rechargables will damage its capability fairly quickly

3) Shocking it with extreme input or output powers, and flash amping it, and shorting it out, wont just heat something, but could change the properties around the anode connect, ruining its ability to deliver high power.

4) expansion and contraction of the body via pressure or heat and cold, could induce (lets call them) inpurities into the cell in tiny ammounts, it is unlikly to change its properties much.

5) crunching the top (same as damage) could effect the seal, and on the bottom there is very little gap between the electrolyte roll, and the base of the can, so avoid Jamming the bottom in, although there IS a gap on the bottom.

6) improper soldering or welding would also be occuring very close to the important parts of the cell, and would want to be done quckly or carefully

7) yes there IS a gap or hole down the center where there is nothing, its small but it exists.

Last edited:

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice? pics.. :( It's interesting to look at but at the same time sickening...
Did you burn it or something?! Poor eneloop, thanks for sacrificing the cell.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I clipped the nipple to see if it could be "shortened" and ruined it immediatally there. so i figured, might as well Finish the job.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info there, I'll remember not to drop the cell so it won't land on the anode side.

Do you think if high current discharge such as 2A-5A would damage the anode thingy? Some 15min chargers charge at AMAZING huge amount of current. I am wondering if the currrent will burn the anode thingy.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont know, other cells which i have dissasembled the connections go to more materials or direct to METAL plates not crumbley things ???
i would think that anything the cells is speced to be able to do, it will and can do.

i would JUST warn against Shorting and "FlashAmping" to see what it is "capable" of. i couldnt guess how many amps it would take,,, hmmmm :) unless BRB.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
enl-18.JPG

ok there is the connection i was refering to.

i think really that is all you need to see or know, just what your dealing with internally in the cell
my tests dont end up being able to tell enough

enl-19.JPG

and the close up of it. you can see that MY shorting of the battery during dissasembly even altered the properties there.

enl-14.JPG

so i take this sofisticated lab test device
sombody came over to check out what i was doing

enl-15.JPG

and hook it up to the lab power supply (good for only 3amps)
the resistance of it doesnt budge when i change the amps across it
that shows it should be able to handle 2X this

this picture ^ also shows the Backside of the connection, and the insulator that was over it on that side, its flapped up now.

enl-16.JPG

running out of sofisticated test equiptment, it was time for the big Dawg
a 10amp car charger , some 120Watt of juce for a single spark did that
enl-17.JPG

a longer spark and the insulator caught fire, and the connector came completly off and was Red hot metal.
note the leads usually get soggy themselves when 10 amps is going to the car, the leads didnt budge before this was popped

conclusion , somewhere between 6 and 50 amps :)
but as you can see a Short of itself does alter it a bit, but it was still ok connected.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello VidPro,

Excellent information.

I wonder if the Hybrid is built the same way... ?

Tom

me too i wonder a lot of stuff, like if high caps would have a longer thinner rolls, and less gap in the center, and a bunch of other stuff.

this metal mesh thing looks totally similar to the power supreme D cell, when it ejected its parts out onto the floor violently. also i dont remember a second metal plate in it either.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
GREAT information and photos, VidPro. Thanks! Based on what I've seen, I'd like to see a video of those cells being manufactured someday. Maybe I'll send a request off to The Science Channel. Or Dirty Jobs. :huh:

Bones

Enlightened
For sure great information VidPro!

Are you planning any sort of ceremony for when you bury the poor Eneloop that gave up it's life for our enlightenment?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Excellent job, VidPro ! :thumbsup:

We've all learned a lot from your "autopsy" photos & descriptions.

But the REAL question is:

"How well did it work once you put it all back together ?"

:whistle:
_