NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING BATTERY

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a surefire G2L and a Ultrafire MFR1. I am thinking of going rechargable to save money on the long run. But I know nothing about batteries. So please answer this for me, I am very grateful. Thank you.

1) what is mAh? the higher the better? does it mean it's stronger or holds power longer?

2) Protected means it's won't overcharge and explode?

3) Does the battery life drop everytime I recharge?

4) Usually how many charge before buying new ones?

5) where can i get a good deal for the charger and batteries (hopefully with car adapter too).

Thank you.

-E

qarawol

Enlightened
I just purchased a surefire G2L and a Ultrafire MFR1. I am thinking of going rechargable to save money on the long run. But I know nothing about batteries. So please answer this for me, I am very grateful. Thank you.

1) what is mAh? the higher the better? does it mean it's stronger or holds power longer?

2) Protected means it's won't overcharge and explode?

3) Does the battery life drop everytime I recharge?

4) Usually how many charge before buying new ones?

5) where can i get a good deal for the charger and batteries (hopefully with car adapter too).

Thank you.

-E

1) mAh... stands for mili-amp-hour. This is how most rechargeable batteries are rated. It means if a battery is rated at 1000mAh (1Amp) then it can sustain a load of 1000mAh for one hour. A 500mAh load on the same battery will last for 2 hours. A 2000mAh load (2Amps) will last for 30 min. You'll get the idea if you can do the math.

2) Generally protected means it will turn itself 'off' when it reaches a pretermined voltage threshold in the charge or discharge state. Prevents the battery from being damaged due to overcharging or overdischarging.

3) There is a life expectency on the battery life. Li Ion has a shelf life in general and starts dropping from the time of manufacture.

4) too many variables. Temp, Load, charge rate, etc

5) Look here... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170420

I hope I covered it all.

Njoy...

Bolek

Enlightened
1)milli Amper h= capacity = quantity of electricity stored.the higher the better.For a given courent holds power longer.
2)Protected means it's won't overcharge and overdischarge.
3)battery life drop a bit everytime you recharge
4)From 300 full charge and discharge to 1500 if never fully charged (to 4.1V) and never deeply dischrged (3.6 V)

Marduke

Flashaholic
1) it's a measure of how much energy is stored in the cell. The higher the better.

2)It won't over-DIScharge and explode. If you discharge it far enough, it will simply shut down instead of letting you discharge it so much that it could explode.

3) With Li-Ion, not really, for a good while at least

4)Depending on a lot of thing, including quality/brand, 100-1000, but probably around 200-500.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
so according to garawol, the less the mAh the more it holds? If compare 500 mAh and 2000 mAh, the 2000 mAh will be brighter but hold less and 500 mAh is weaker but last long? Sorry for being slow on understanding this.

-E

Gunner12

Flashaholic
No, the higher the mAh rating the more it holds.

A battery is like a bottle. If you empty a liter bottle at 1 liter per hour, it will take an hour to empty the bottle. If the bottle is being emptied at 0.5 liter per hour, then it will take two hours to empty the bottle. If emptied at two liters per hour, it will take half an hour to empty the bottle. But each batter has a different capacity(different sized bottle).

Then there is voltage sag and other stuff but lets not get into that just yet.

I hope that clarifies some confusion.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at ebay for RCR123A and chargers, I came across a brand called Tenergy 900mAh and it states "ONLY USE Tenergy charger". I was wondering, can I use aftermarket or non-brand charger to charge it as long as it's a 3.0V? Thank you.