Luxeon K2 Map Light Upgrade

n_den

Newly Enlightened
hi all,

just thought i'd post a pic up of my upgrade. uses 2 Luxeon K2 emitters running @ 500ma ea. placed inside the map lights of my 1992 300zx. if any of you own or owned a 300zx than you can really understand how challenging this project was. took me 3 designs and 2 days to finally get everything right. the housing is made from aluminum and copper. my sony camera is only 2 mega pixels and the image looks more blue than it really is in real life. enjoy!

maplight.jpg

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to post my mod for my vehicle. The hardest part was the heatsink but only took an hour to do. It's freaking bright. I'm thinking of cutting current down to about 200mA-250mA. Oh, I used the three LED wahwang (sp?). I had a bunch lying around with no home so I figure I'd put a pair to use. I'm going to do the same for my other vehicles using Luxeon 1W Sbins and 3W U bins. Remember when those were considered "premium"? Now they're in my junk box.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The amber is interesting, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of map lights? That is, so you can easily read (coloured) maps.