Newbie: I wanna build an IR Illuminator

U

ukpbz

Hi,

First time on the board so be gentle..............
I have numerous cctv cameras and i think it would be cheaper for me to build illuminators than replace the cameras. Anyone have any circuit diagrams and component lists? Cheaper the better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Thanks

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello ukpbz,

Welcome.

I don't know anything about how to build one, but I do show some pictures and discuss it here .

It seems that there are 2 IR LED's and 2 resistors in this set up. The problem I am having is that my Generation 0.75 Nightshot on my Sony digital is not all that sensitive. This modified light works well to about 6 feet. I was looking for about 20 feet or so. I ended up purchasing a SureFire M1, but had to send it back because of a problem with the beam (chipped optics). The one night I played with it showed promise out to 20 feet and maybe a little beyond that. It is specified to work out to 100 meters, but that must be with Generation 3 optics.

Hope this helps.

Tom

litegod

Newly Enlightened
why could you not use a sony nightshot illuminator?

is the focus too close to be useful ? i have the sony nightshot camcorder and another nigthvision device but still have yet to purchase the if light for the sony. they have some that are battery powered, not powered off the intelishoe.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello litegod,

Welcome.

The Sony Nightshot Illumninator works great out to about 10 feet. Then it drops off rapidly. I was looking looking for something that works out to about 20-40 feet.

I am still looking...

Tom

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a 20x LED IR 850nm illuminator for the 3D MagLite

I will be testing it with a NightScope on Thur-Fri eve

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took colored "gels" used for stage lighting and cut them to size and use them in thelens of my 3 D maglite. Works for me. I go to a local music store [Sam Ash] to get them. Used red [x2], blue green, orange. Looking thru my cheap Russian monoc, it gives just about the same effect, if not a little less, of the flashlight in regular use with the naked eye.
One problem I did encounter was trying to look out of a closed window, reflected back so I couldn't see out. Tried opening the window but had same problem due to the screen panel.
Whenever I can remember to get around to it I wanna try it out using a 500K hand held spot.

Specktrum

Newly Enlightened
The thing I like about using an LED instead of a filtered
flashlight is there is almost no heat buildup. Also an LED
can run a lot longer. I have the Inretech mod and it is the
best IR flashlight I own. I have at least 8 or 10 IR light
sources including the Surefire M1 IR and the Inretech mod
beats them all to pieces. Of coarse the M1 is very compact
and light weight. Each one does something good. That's my
two cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a suggestion, it looks like MPJA will still sell you HP IR LEDs at a nickle each:

MPJA IR LEDs

These are 'near IR' meaning you might be able to see a faint glow up close, but at the price it's hard to beat them. Due to low Vf you can drive these guys to 50 mA. 50 or 100 such parts should make an impressive source....

Doug Owen

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a CCD camera, but I am casually attempting to build a IR illuminator for gen-1 NV scopes.
In a 2-D-cell mag-lite, so far I have tried:
1) using a visible red LED "bulb" with resistor (mA==?I don't remember, 35?),
2) using a 940 nm LED "bulb" with resistor (about 45 mA),
3) using a 840 nm LED "bulb" with resistor (about 45 mA), and
4) using a perfboard with nineteen 840 nm LED's+resistors, mA=23 each, as it turned out. I wanted more current, but gave up on tweaking it as I didn't see it making a lot of difference. The beam was too broad to be of much help, and I didn't want to carry around a telescope to focus it.
-------
None of these worked real well out past about ten or fifteen feet, especially outdoors.
In fact of all of them, the visible-red single LED worked the best, it was useable out to perhaps 25 feet, and "visible" out to maybe 50 feet. And I found that being able to focus the LED "bulb" beams (using the original mag-lite reflector) was a tremendous advantage, but the single IR LED's just didn't put out that much light. The 19-LED setup is very smooth and bright, but not focussed at all.
--I have ordered some low-cost plastic IR filters, and will try them on the regular-standard mag-lite setup. After that, there are expensive glass filters, for $80-$100....
~~~~
And by the by, the 940 nm LED's are totally invisible to the eye. The 840's die glows a dim red when powered, visible in the dark if you are within 10 or 15 feet, and it is pointed straight at your eyes. Gen-1 NV peak response is supposed to be between 740 and 800 nm, but I didn't really see much difference between the 940 and the 840 LEDs.

InventaNutta

Newly Enlightened
ukpbz... Here's an extract from my post in Nightvision..
I obtained some ICI Persex, black of course, this also is indeed dark red. I cut a new lense for the 6V torch, replacing the original. An optical comparison between the Lee IR filter and the Perspex one appeared to have the same dull red glow etc. Tests with the Night sight were good, I could illuminate stuff at about 80 metres, (limited by the distance I could get from my garden). This same cheapy method should work for video cams. Perspex looks usefull..

should be worth a try..

Steve

InventaNutta

Newly Enlightened
An addendum to my last post... I found the site for serious power IR leds. I have 2 of these, but purchased through a distributor, so took a while to find the original manufacturer. Heres a direct link to the PDF for this device.. http://www.roithner-laser.com/All_Datasheets/LEDs/ELJ-810-228B.pdf
This is not to be confused with the silly 5mm devices, these are almost less than useless, unless you use loads of em.. This IR Led has 6 Hi-Power IR chips in one package, with a built in lense, mounted on a 10mm stud for attachment to a heatsink. Wavelength is 810nm, 250mA forward current, 2000mA pulsed (on heatsink) power dissipation 3W, 20 degree beam angle.

I have latched up a quick test using the above with my Gen 2 night sight, the beam is slightly rectangular, and very bright with my scope. Cheapy CMOS cameras should also work well with this led.. I have pics of the Nightsight and this IR Led, also my IR modded spotlight.. here>> http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/detail?.dir=/f6cb&.dnm=223b.jpg

Steve