2AAA Maglite mods

prof student

Enlightened
Did a search for 2AAA maglite mods. Nothing but old post came up (5-7 years old).

Now, are there any mods that can be done to such a light? What about a click tail cap? OR basically, is it too small of a light to really deal with?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are only 2 mods I know of:

Replace the stock bulb with a MJLED/SMJLED. You will have to drill out your reflector. Fresh alkalines or conditioned lithiums. NiMH will not work.

Replace the stock bulb and reflector with the terralux_tle-20.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I put a red 5mm LED in mine, and drilled out the reflector. I also attached a fauxton modded with a 1xCR2032 for dim white color rendition, and a tritium keychain, and the setup is now my bedside/around the house at night light.

prof student

Enlightened
Thank you for the ideas.

What about a clickie on the cap? Does one that small even exist?

mdocod

Flashaholic
2xNIMH AAAs and a bulb from a 2AA mag seems to help bring it up a notch. Still nothing terribly impressive, but definitely simple.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How extreme would you like this modification to be? With two AW 14500 rechargable lithiums, an Auroralite kit and a Streamlight TL3 bulb, you can make a formidible flashlight. Judging by the Flashlightreviews measurements, it is >100 lumens of incandescent goodness. Battery life is only about 15 minutes though, and it gets hot!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
How extreme would you like this modification to be? With two AW 14500 rechargable lithiums, an Auroralite kit and a Streamlight TL3 bulb, you can make a formidible flashlight. Judging by the Flashlightreviews measurements, it is >100 lumens of incandescent goodness. Battery life is only about 15 minutes though, and it gets hot!

This is for a AA not a AAA maglite...

Otherwise it is a very nice mod:poke: :D

I've done the SMJLED and it is decent and runs a long time on alkalines. Bright with Lithiums, but that will kill the led after not too long time.

Sverre

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
I've done the SMJLED and it is decent and runs a long time on alkalines. Bright with Lithiums, but that will kill the led after not too long time.

Sverre

Will running lithiums with the Terralux bulb hurt that LED?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will running lithiums with the Terralux bulb hurt that LED?

I'm not sure how the regulation in the Terralux handles the increased voltage from the lithiums. It should probably be ok, but somebody will probably check in to verify this.

If you check the packaging/website it might state whether the higher voltage lithiums (1.7V) are ok.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you won't ming purchasing a new light, you could get something 1 AAA and also much brighter then the 2 AAA minimag(like this one). This is thanks to the much brighter High power LEDs by Cree(XR-E, P4-R2 bin), Seoul(P4, U bin) and Luxeon(the Rebel series, mostly the 100 bin).

If you want a Drop-in, I don't think there are any with the newer LEDs and there aren't many drop-ins for that light in general.

DaveT

Enlightened
I've done the SMJLED and I really like it - to my eye, it gives better output than the original bulb.

I copied the instructions off the SMJLED site - they're meant for the AA Minimags, but work fine for the AAA.

Cut the leads on the LED to 3/8 inch or 9.5mm long.

Drill out the reflector with a .25-inch diameter drill bit. This was the hardest part, and it wasn't really very hard. Hold it face down on a flat surface, and you should just be careful to drill slowly.

You need to check that you put the LED's leads in the right holes for polarity, but I believe they're protected now and you won't short them out if it goes in the wrong way first - you just won't get light.

Good luck

Dave

Gatsby

Enlightened
I dug around extensively a year or so ago for something to do with my 2xAAA mag lights - as I like the form factor and basically wanted an ARC AAA that had longer runtime.

I believe LED_ASAP did a lux modification of the 2xAAA minimag with rather underwhelming results - in part due to the lack of space in the minmag head.

From what I can tell the best mod and one I actually decided upon was the SMJLED upgrade - and it does produce a much more usable beam and very long runtimes. Not the brightest but a lot brighter than the stock bulb.

If you want a really great performing 2xAAA light I'd suggest the Peak Pacific with the 2xAAA body - really nice numbers for runtime and output - very well made and close to the form factor of the 2xAAA minimag.