The Green Helmet (Solar powered, safety lit, weatherproof bike helmet.)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Found this on www.instructables.com today.

The Green Helmet (Solar powered, safety lit, weatherproof bike helmet.)

It gives instructions on how to make a solar-powered LED bike helmet mod. Pretty nifty idea that I think could be improved upon a LOT!

Here's a photo of their mod (not mind, as I didn't do it!)

fs16h5df8qfg3e4mediumsq1.jpg

Obviously, you'd not want to cut into your helmet to compromise its integrity, but I think that's common sense? :tinfoil:

Although, with my new bike helmet I'm picking up tonight, there won't be any need for it... photos to follow in (hopefully) a few days. :devil:

john

rdhfreethought

Newly Enlightened
Low powered, but good to see people thinking LED. I think this one is a better idea, and execution though. I dont think solar has the same problem as dynamo for overcharge though. I just hate to rely on something I cannot control. I know I can always crank more mAH out on a dynamo if I need to.

jch79

So how does it work at night then if it's solar powered?

Didn't you read the description of it? :thinking:

Since the solar panel is on your helmet, and assuming you ride during the daytime as well, it charges the batteries, and then when you go to use the lights when it's dark out, theys should be charged. Or you can leave your helmet in a window to charge it during the day. Either way. :shrug: :)

john

jch79

I just hate to rely on something I cannot control.

That's a GREAT point, and one big ol' reason why I wouldn't rely on this mod for my personal safety. I'm perfectly happy using NiMH rechargeables, and either using a solar charger for them, or just pluggin' 'em in! :shrug: But like you said, it's cool to see people using LED's like this. :)

:) john

greenLED

Flashaholic
Although, with my new bike helmet I'm picking up tonight, there won't be any need for it... photos to follow in (hopefully) a few days. :devil:

john
D'you get yourself one of those with lights incorporated into the shell?

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Interesting! In Canada the mail-order outdoor cooperative MEC.ca has started selling solar-charged white front winkies and red rear winkies, but they are 100gr. and larger than I would like.

Another option is to use the Skunklights Solar dog-tag-sized self-contained solar-charged light with some self-adhesive velcro, white front and red winkie rear. Much lighter than anything I have seen and genuinely long-lived for those of us who wander where wall current is not available!

enlightenment!