New Fenix Bike Light

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not going to be bike light, but "that thing" between flashlight and handlebars :naughty:

rdhfreethought

Newly Enlightened
no
crackup.gif

Actually it's not battery powered.

!!!!?

mechBgon

Enlightened
Maybe it is this thingie? ... a versatile bicycle mount purpose-designed for Fenix flashlights.
Found it over at http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=430
FenixBikeUse.png

Now the question: do they make versions for both 25.4/26.0mm and 31.8mm bars, since many bikes now come with 31.8mm.

Personally, I think Fenix should go into competition with DiNotte in the taillight area. I've considered getting an LxD, sticking Fenix's red filter on it, and using it in strobe mode as a taillight, but using a red emitter would be preferable. A larger head with a diffused beam pattern would also be good.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now the question: do they make versions for both 25.4/26.0mm and 31.8mm bars, since many bikes now come with 31.8mm.

Personally, I think Fenix should go into competition with DiNotte in the taillight area. I've considered getting an LxD, sticking Fenix's red filter on it, and using it in strobe mode as a taillight, but using a red emitter would be preferable. A larger head with a diffused beam pattern would also be good.

or you can paint fenix difuser with red color and use it with p3d/l2d/l1d as a taillight :huh: Now that would be powerful blinkie :eek:

W-c.Scenario

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered how much space it will take on the seatpost ?
Would be super if they made an external batterypack with 4-8 AA´s with a tailcap that we could mount directly to the heads ... then we can we can skip the Fenix bodies:).

mechBgon

Enlightened
Have you considered how much space it will take on the seatpost ?

Yes, I thought about that. An L1D CE would be more compact and lower in weight than DiNotte's taillight, and would not require an external battery pack like DiNotte does. An L1D would also have less vertical space requirement than most conventional bicycle-specific rear lights (e.g. the SuperFlash), since it's only about 2cm in diameter.

So if they were to start with the L1D CE, change the emitter to red, give it a bigger reflector so it's a larger visual target, use a floody beam so it covers a large angle of approach, build it to be compatible with 14500 rechargeables, and sell it with two mounting brackets so it can be moved between bikes, it could be pretty sweet. I'd buy one! :huh:

Oh, and my suggestion would be for the light to run about 10lumens-STROBE!-STROBE!-10lumens-STROBE!-STROBE! so the light is always on at a modest level between the high-powered strobe bursts. Some people feel that a steady light makes it easier for motorists to gauge the distance of the cyclist, so this would probably be welcomed by that school of thought.

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the two 'halves' are joined by a bolt you may be able to fit a Fenix in both mounts and clamp it round a flat surface such as a rear luggage rack ???

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that Luxeon and Cree RED both run at very low voltages...around 2.4 volts. Forget the 14500 cell and 2AA... just a single Eneloop will get that light rocking for around 3 hours or so.

I have a Cree red LED on a star, a 6x20 degree optic and an idea. I have two small voltage boost curcuits and figure I'll power the LED from a single Eneloop AA (is there any other battery?) Something to screw around with as I want to see what a Cree RED can do and the 6x20 degree would be very noticeable.

rdhfreethought

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and my suggestion would be for the light to run about 10lumens-STROBE!-STROBE!-10lumens-STROBE!-STROBE! so the light is always on at a modest level between the high-powered strobe bursts. Some people feel that a steady light makes it easier for motorists to gauge the distance of the cyclist, so this would probably be welcomed by that school of thought.

Thats an excellent idea. I still run a Vistalite tail, since it has the 'knight rider' back and forth LED mode. Blinking tail lights are terrible for motorists. I sounds like a great idea to get their attention, but a lot of tests have shown drivers aim towards those lights, especially when tired.

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a decent quality mount like this for a long time. I can't stand looking through the beam of my head-mounted rig.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very cool! Anyone know if this thing is plastic or metal? I would imagine that metal would make it a too heavy... but the thing looks pretty beefy.

It is made from "German Bayer PVC Plastic with anti-aging and anti-solarization components". Weight is 71g and size is 60x60x50 mm.