Which Leatherman to get?

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I have had a blast for a while now and I am wondering which of the Charge series (AL, ALX, or TTi/XTi) would be the best to get.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the newer WAVE a few months ago, I like it because of the screwdrivers that can be pulled out and flipped to a different size, much like a bit. Also appreciate the handles are rounded so when your really wrenching its not digging into your hand, It also features a holster which lets you holster it open, the tool is a bit heavierbut you dont notice it after a while. I got mine off ebay in mint shape for $40 something.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Sit down with an implement list from each of the tools you are looking at. Then decide what you are really going to use. You may save some money by buying a smaller tool.
The only SAKs I carry anymore are a Tinker and the SwissCard.

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
My favorite is the older Ti or the new Al, both have the same tool set up as the Wave. IMO the "crimper" nearly ruins the pliers by getting rid of all of the "flat space". (Unless you acutally use blasting caps or whatever else they work on...) So that turns me of the XTi, ALX, and TTi. Speaking of the TTi, I'd probably take 154cm in the Ti or AL over s30v of the TTi, but steels not a deal breaker for me, and even the Wave would probably do just fine. (s30v just seems a little to brittle/hard to me from what I hear) I also like the scissors and dedicated flathead so thats another plus for the Ti and AL. Of course I'd like the cutting hook that the others have, but not enough to tip the scales for me...

All in all, I think they're all probably great tools, but if you want the perfect one just look them over for a while and decide which seems the best combination to you.

Here's a link to LM's tool comparison page in case you didn't find it yet. It doesn't have the Ti and XTi, but they're identical to the AL and ALX excpet for the Titanium scales:
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tool-comparison/default.asp

Brandon

Newly Enlightened
What is the advantage of having the "flat space"?

The flat space is the gripping area on the needle nose pliers, on the ALX and TTi the gripping area is reduced by about 1/3 with the crimpers.

If I were to recommend a charge model, I would say get the TTi, it is the tool I carry, I consider it the most important part of my gear. I like it because it combines the ALX and AL, it has the scissors and large flathead screwdriver (this makes a great scraper/chisel and light prybar) of the AL with the cutting hook of the ALX and has a S30V blade to make it unique. If they would just remove the crimper it would be perfect.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blast rocks if you don't need the Serrated blade and the wave chassis. I prefer it due to its more useful screwdrivers

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Surge as it has a removable saw that can be replaced with a large file,
both the saw blade and file come with the Multitool