Anyone have their christmas tree lights up?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Ok, its a little early but I was bored and put my tree up the other day. Then my daughter wanted to put the lights up. We didn't have any lights so off to the store we went. While looking at the new LED lights, I discovered those old fashioned bubble lights (who remembers these) like what my grandmother had on her tree when I was young. That was the only place that I had ever seen these most interesting Christmas Tree lights. I just had to get a couple of them along with some white LED lights. Now I have a mix of old and new. I think it turned out pretty good but I need to get another set of LEDs. These are more pricey than regular Christmas Tree lights but they enhance the look of the tree, even our fake tree. Post some pictures of your trees too.

IMG_0389.jpg

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I object to the ritual sacrifice of defenseless baby trees for the sake of consumerism and religion.
6skmr8z.gif
:crazy:
That said I grow my own tree outside... every year the tree and its pot get heavier and heavier. I'm gonna have to drag rather than carry this year I think and in another couple yeas I'm going to have to switch to a new, smaller tree.
Although I love lights, I can't stand boatloads of lights strung up all over the place indoors, so I usually delay the arrangement of decorations as long as I can in my household. It is still over a month till the solstice, so I'm in no hurry. No reason to squander such wonderful lack of daylight by rushing through life because of other peoples' obsessive compulsive behaviors.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I guess the main reason I put it up so early is that my parent's brought it up from their house to our new house last week and I didn't want to put it away and then get it right back out to put up. And since its fake, no worries about harming trees although I miss having a real tree, they smell better. And with my fascination with lights, I had to get something interesting for it. We won't put the decorations on it yet sine they are still at my parent's house and won't be down there for a couple of weeks. Please post your lights when you get your trees set up or even outdoor decorations.

Dantor

Enlightened
It is a little early but if it makes you happy and enjoy the holiday spirit sooner, god bless! those lights do look sweet in the dark! Good choice Mr Scrooge (just teasing) and glad them spirits did the job! :D

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I leave a few ornaments laying on my fireplace mantel all year but traditionally, I don't start decorating until the weekend after Thanksgiving.

A few of my neighbors though already have some decorations out in their front yard a few days after Halloween but none of them are lit up yet.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the end of each Christmas season, I gently wrap my artificial trees (3) up in a bin liner, open ended, complete with lights.

Stored in loft.

So much easier the next year. Slight adjustments to ornaments ensures variation.

Similarly, kitchen Christmas lights around the tops of units, and top floor wooden spiral staircase remain adorned.

So, my Christmas lights have now been up for three years !

Trying out solar powered led lights from DX this year around front door, difficult to power unless using long mains lead otherwise, inside.

And, a use for those DX giveaway multi RGB keylights, hung as tree ornaments.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
No tree yet but I have put up my outdoor Christmas lights. I was able to take advantage of some good weather last week. Climbing up and down the ladder in the cold is not one of my favourite Christmas related activities. About 90% of my lights are LED. It's kind of scary seeing all the lights being powered from one outlet but it should be fine.:confused:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My parents got tired of taking down the lights from their 3 story house and decided to just leave them up year round; that was about 1970. They finally came down in 1998 to get the house ready for sale. Surprisingly about half the bulbs were original while the others got gradually replaced over the decades.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, we always get a fresh tree for our living room and it's still a little too early for that. First, it'll be dead by Christmas and we like to keep it around for a week or two after Christmas. Second, I don't think I've even seen any Christmas trees for sale, yet. I think, they start selling them after Thanksgiving.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My sister got a tree a couple of days ago.
It is an artificial (phoney!;)) tree, 6.5 feet in height, prestrung with 400 miniature incandescent lamps.

tree07-1.jpg

Since it is prelit, I won't be able to use any of my multitude of LED light sets on it. :green:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess you'll have to do strings around your room, Craig!!

My wife is psyched about Xmas this year, and already has our tree up and 95% lit (I need to pick up another string of LEDs to fill it out, as it's bigger than the live tree we killed last year)

I love the smell of a live tree, but I can't bear cutting it down just for a few weeks like that. I just get a candle and light it, so I get the smell and the plastic tree doesn't shed either..

Enlightened
Yes. We put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving. Although, to be fair, our tree is one of those fancy fiber optic ones. It has a 50 watt light in the base (one of the 12v tracklight types) that shines through a color wheel and fiber optic cables take the light up the rest of the way. :) We picked it up in the post-christmas clearance section of target a couple of years ago for a song.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
xtree1.jpg

xtree3.jpg

Our tree has now been decorated.
The red "icycles" have been removed so the kitty cats don't eat them.
And the ornaments on the lower ~35% of the tree are plastic so the cats do not break them - one of the kitties was already batting them around while we were decorating and even nocked one off the tree.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
light up? yes...its kinda burnt:(
it was an old tree....plugged it in using the huge 25 watt lamps....over time that ignited something and....

that was last years, we're indecisive about getting another this Christmas, its not a holiday of importance for us. we're kinda just going with the flow:nana:

Last edited: