AA for little kids

Whomprat

Newly Enlightened
I've been spending a bit of my life recently researching and buying some new lights. There's some great info here, the last time I researched lights, I got an x5 and an Arc, which were super bright back then. Now I've bought 4 lights and some GITD stuff I didn't entirely need. :D

My kids love playing with flashlights in the dark, but my new l2d-q5 and my l0d are too bright for little kids. What would you recommend that isn't too bright, has a pretty long runtime, is really inexpensive (they will eventually get lost), and uses aaa or aa (one or two).

Thanks

Marduke

Flashaholic
I would recommend the Energizer Hard Case 2xAA lights. The yellow "regular" version has a single CS LED, the gray "professional" version has 3 CS LED's. Both are not so bright as to be damaging, but bright enough to be interesting (especially the professional one). Run a long time on 2xAA NiMH, waterproof, and practically indestructible.

Home Depot has the gray professional one for about $13. The yellow one goes for around $10, sometimes in Target or Walmart, but neither consistently.
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/tuf2aape.pdf

john46268

Newly Enlightened
I bought an Eveready hardcase light in a yellow case at wal-mart that was not bright enough for me so I gave it to the kid next door and he loves it. It only cost $10 or $11 so its not that much and it even comes with a fresh pair of Energizers. It takes 2 AA's and is about 7 inches long. They have a black or grey model that cost way more so watch for the yellow one. (be prepared to go to war to get the AA's out of that black plastic thingy!)

Happy Shopping! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might get a Minimag with one of the various dropins. Not too bright and good runtimes. Add a tail clicky if they need one. NiteIze has a combo switch and dropin kit. Red, blue, and green dropins available too. Not high tech, but they won't go blind.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/niaamimaledt.html

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
How easy/hard is it to get those hardcase lights apart? I got some of the Dorcy 1aaa for the kids, but my 2 yr old has already taken hers apart and destroyed the circuit board. And, if they do come apart how much damage could they do to it?

Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
How easy/hard is it to get those hardcase lights apart? I got some of the Dorcy 1aaa for the kids, but my 2 yr old has already taken hers apart and destroyed the circuit board. And, if they do come apart how much damage could they do to it?

Thanks.

Unless your 2yr is quite handy with a philips screwdriver and has the strength to overcome a little loctite, the light is quite safe.