Split Rings and Clasps for Fenix L0D Series and Other Lights

topcat39

Newly Enlightened
I found that #5 split ring used to rig fishing lures fits perfectly in the Fenix L0D light hole and slot so the light will stand on end :thumbsup:. I'm assuming they will fit all L0D lights based on my own L0D CE and L0D SE. The #5 split ring can also be used for other lights. The rings are made of stainless steel, very strong, and are cheap (about $1 should buy 10-12 rings, I found mine in my tackle box). Most tackle shops will have them as well as Academy, Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Sportman's Warehouse, etc.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Split Rings for Fenix L0D Series and Other Lights

Thanks, I've been trying to think of a good place to get small splitrings for lights, and Victorinox knives on the cheap. Off to Academy...

topcat39

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, I've been trying to think of a good place to get small splitrings for lights, and Victorinox knives on the cheap. Off to Academy...

Marduke: Good point about small knives:thumbsup:. I did not even think about small keychain knives needing a split ring nor other small items folks attach to their keychains (car alarm, beer bottle opener, etc.) :eek:.

FYI, I use a small flat blade screwdriver (jewelers' screwdriver some call them) to open the split rings' end enough to insert into the hole of the light/knife/trinket/etc.; if I want to avoid damaging the finish I'll work the screwdriver around the ring while simultaneously feeding the ring onto the light/knife/etc. For me, using a screwdriver is easier than using my fingernails (unless I don't have a screwdriver) YMMV.

Cheers:twothumbs

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened

I find No. 5 and No. 6 useful, and they're available in stainless steel and black. I don't know the exact finish of the latter.

topcat39

Newly Enlightened

I find No. 5 and No. 6 useful, and they're available in stainless steel and black. I don't know the exact finish of the latter.

Where did you find the #6 size? With the Thanksgiving sales I was in both Academy and Sportman's Warehouse here in San Antonio and both only have #3 and #5 in SS.
Cheers

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

anyone else getting wear on their split ring holes? i remember one guy complaining his broke through eventually.

bspofford

Enlightened

Where did you find the #6 size? With the Thanksgiving sales I was in both Academy and Sportman's Warehouse here in San Antonio and both only have #3 and #5 in SS.
Cheers

I bought #100 online after doing a simple search for split rings. I got them in stainless steel and black. The latter supposedly wear better, but I don't know what the finish is.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Thank you for the tip !

:thumbsup:

_

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

My L0D broke out -- didn't wear out. I was removing a split ring. Don't know if the alloy was flawed or I applied more pressue than intended. Just cleaned it up with emery paper and made another slot.

WalMart "hobby" section - where they have the sequins, plastic beads and stuff - has various size split rings. I got bunch for like $.79. I generally use a chain of 3 or so to attach a glowring.

Check out the other stuff in the fishing connectors at the fishing tackle section -- there are some snaps, swivels and other things that an innovative mind (something possessed by all CPF'ers) might find interesting.

There are also small split ring pliers. They work pretty well. I probably wouldn't have broken my light if I'd been using mine.

Last edited:

Alero

Enlightened

Lighthound sells them. They even have them in titanium! :)

SuperNinja

Enlightened

These worked great for me $1.25 not sure what shipping is
from http://www.photonlight.com/All-Photon-LED-Flashlight-Accessories-s/56.htm

allows tail standing on the lod
Cheapest shipping there is $1.96 by USPS.

Walmart sells those also.

Not sure if they stock those colors though. At the time I went, I only saw them in metallic, light pastel colors.
The pastel coloring actually seems to be transparent, and flakes off over time to reveal just the silver/chrome colored metal of the clip.

I think a pack of 6 was like a couple dollars.

Last edited:

tslrc

Newly Enlightened

Hey BIGIRON,

What section were the split ring pliers in, the fishing or the crafts section? I did not see them in the fishing, and in the crafts section there were 3-5 different tools, and I wasn't sure which one would work.

I found the #4 & #6 rings in the craft section, but they're so tiny I'd never be able to open them up and thread them onto a light.

Thanks,
Steve

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...er=1623&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

This is just an example. I'd think they would likely be in the fishing tackle section. I've had mine a long, long time -- don't remember where they came from.

The rings from the hobby section are the "Mainstays" "Charm Making Kit" - blue label on plastic envelope. They don't list a size, but are a perfect fit for the L0D, etc.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened

Thanks BIGIRON, I'll make a trip there tomorrow now that I have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Again thanks!

Steve

tslrc

Newly Enlightened

Deleting, double post

Last edited:

topcat39

Newly Enlightened

These worked great for me $1.25 not sure what shipping is
from http://www.photonlight.com/All-Photon-LED-Flashlight-Accessories-s/56.htm

allows tail standing on the lod

SuperNinja wrote:

Walmart sells those also.

Not sure if they stock those colors though. At the time I went, I only saw them in metallic, light pastel colors.
The pastel coloring actually seems to be transparent, and flakes off over time to reveal just the silver/chrome colored metal of the clip.

Awesome frankr :thumbsup:! I like this a lot because you can easliy remove the light from the key chain. How durable is it? Its a lot like the claw snap that came with the L0D SE, but smaller and less weight.

SuperNinja:
Where in Walmart did you find these?

BIGIRON:
I'll have to look around for those pliers. I'll use a small screwdriver like I described to avoid breaking anything until I find those pliers.

Cheers :twothumbs

SuperNinja

Enlightened

Awesome frankr :thumbsup:! I like this a lot because you can easliy remove the light from the key chain. How durable is it? Its a lot like the claw snap that came with the L0D SE, but smaller and less weight.

SuperNinja:
Where in Walmart did you find these?

BIGIRON:
I'll have to look around for those pliers. I'll use a small screwdriver like I described to avoid breaking anything until I find those pliers.

Cheers :twothumbs
Same place that BIGIRON mentioned, the crafts section.

They are about as big around as a quarter.

And the spring loaded clip on them (the ones from Walmart) have quite a bit of tension.
Kinda tough to open with one hand, but easy enough with two. Wouldn't want to use it for something that has to be clipped on and off frequently. Seems to be quite solid though.

Last edited: