Foxfury Rook
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any TW4 fans anymore?

Default Any TW4 fans anymore?

I guess this probably belongs here. I know that there are so many Cree's out there and the new E1L is probably really cool, but I was just wondering if there were still any fans of the TW4 (E1e + KL4). Back in the day, that was a pretty bright flood light in a compact body. It's hard to believe that it's been around for nearly 5 years.

Anyway, I'd like to see pics and hear your thoughts on this oldie but goodie. Here's mine...one of the first TW4's:

As you can see, the bezel's taken its share of beatings over the years. But this puppy's a world traveler. Been to over 15 airports in the US, 4 different islands in the Caribbean, and even over to Spain.
    Last edited by ttran97; 03-22-2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: changed pic

Default Re: Any TW4 fans anymore?

Although I don't have anymore of these lights, they are still great. It's amazing that as soon as something new comes out, the last "state-of-the-art" product gets throw aside. It was just yesterday, that Lux-III ___-bin was the thing to have. Now we have Cree and Soule and those other lights are now considered garbage by many.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

I've got a very nice black one with an E2D tail, I like it and it looks great but I don't use it. My ML1 gets used more. Not sure where the term TW4 came from though.

Flashaholic*

Tactical Warehouse L4 package or something like that.

I still EDC an L4. It works everytime I click the switch and I know it will come on next time I click it. Can't beat that.
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Actually, I came up with the term TW4. Tactical Warehouse used to be one of the biggest dealers here on CPF. At the time, I worked on their webpage and helped with customers and stuff. When the KL4 first started shipping, we decided to sell the E1e with the KL4 as a package, hence the TW4 name. The KL1 at the time wasn't very bright at all, and there were few mods that would have made the light affordable to the general CPF public.

But anyway, it's been years since TW was sold and I've been away from CPF for a while. It still brings a smile to my face whenever I see someone mention that they have a "TW4"...especially some of the newer members. Nothing like a trip down Old Memory Lane, huh fellas?

Is Tactical Warehouse gone now?

Quote Originally Posted by MARNAV1 View Post
    Is Tactical Warehouse gone now?
    Yeah, Dan sold his company back in 2005... I occasionally try to talk him into opening another flashlight business. Maybe I'll give him a call and bug him some more. haha.

*Mammoth Killer*

I have now hundreds of lights after years of collecting and using them nightly on duty. Many are costly while some are cheap however I enjoy them all. Without a doubt the single most useful light I own is my trusty TW4 original. It still wows me with each use and that wall of light and has never failed me once as a back up light. Yes it has saved my butt several times and I wish I had a second one but they are rare.

With the better rechargeable 123 cells today the TW4 can still hold its own with many of todays top lights. It is truly a perfect blend of size and function and looks great with a VG1 body. My TW4 is still one of my favorites and I will carry it until it either breaks or I retire...(10 more years)
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

I have used that configuration over the years. Sold and lost KL4's, but one is in the mail (L4) and I intend to put the head on my E1E. A true TW4 user would use the CR123, but I will go with a Powerizer RCR123.

Bill

I still run a TW4 on a VG FB-1 body
    Running a RCR123a

Semper Paratus

*Mammoth Killer*

Bullzeyebill the ability to use a standard 123 cell was what sold me on this light originally and the original TW4s were hand picked with a lower vf to do just that if I remember correct. I loved the light then however with the R123s it was perfect for a short run/high power back up light....I just could not resist the ability to run in regulation if even for a short time on R123 cells.

The best part of this light for me was that my best friend Owen traded it to me for a sweet deal....I cant remember exactly the trade but I think it was for an Ultra-G and something like a Fenix L1P....regardless it was the best trade I ever made as I have used this light often. Many nights it has searched a building or came in handy on a traffic stop when my main light went dim from user error....( I forgot to charge it fully...hehe)

The amazing thing is I just tried it on a standard cell and it has been a long time since I powered it this way. It is still very bright even from 3 volts and I had forgotten just how nice this set up was.

*Mammoth Killer*

I found the old thread where I had to repair my VG1 clip. Scroll to the bottom for pics.... http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115126

After months of stressing the clip on my thicker duty belt the threads were stripping out. I was determined to find a stronger way to attatch the clip and eventually did just that.....not as pretty however this clip is not stripping anymore and I feel much better knowing it will not be lost. I also attatch the lanyard loop to a keeper on my belt just in case. Of all my lights if I lost this one I would hate it the most.

Flashaholic

This thread reminded me of an old friend. So I opened up my parts box, put a KL4 on an E1e body, inserted a fresh AW cell and fired it up. Yup!Same warm, fuzzy, smile on my face feeling I had the first time I did it a long time ago

With all the rapid advancement going on in the past year, I had forgotten a trusted friend. Think we'll get aquainted again...

Best Regards:
    Bob

not to get off topic.....

but does anyone know the size of the o-ring on the vg-f1 body?
    looks like mines needs a replacing

Incand: Surefire A2-HA-WH/9P-_FM-D26-WA1164, FM-2x18500-WA1111, Mag11, Mag85-FM3V, Mag61, Mag275 /// LED: Surefire 6P-_Malkoff MC-E/6P-_Q3-5A/6P-_Q2-5A/C2-BK-UV/G2-_Q4-5B/G2Z-M60R2, Arc-AAA 375nm UV /// HID: Acro A3100, Havis-Shield

With the advent of CREEs, Fenixes and so forth, mine has not seem much use for a good while.

noodle:

is that a cr2 body?
    if so, do you know where i can get one, along with the tailcap (2-stage)?

Incand: Surefire A2-HA-WH/9P-_FM-D26-WA1164, FM-2x18500-WA1111, Mag11, Mag85-FM3V, Mag61, Mag275 /// LED: Surefire 6P-_Malkoff MC-E/6P-_Q3-5A/6P-_Q2-5A/C2-BK-UV/G2-_Q4-5B/G2Z-M60R2, Arc-AAA 375nm UV /// HID: Acro A3100, Havis-Shield

Heres my modified TW4. It gets about 1/2 hour of runtime, and is WAY more floody than the standard KL4. I must have recieved a crappy KL4 as my first one. It was a terrible greenish/yellow, and I think the emitter was on its way out. I never really liked it to much and tried to sell it for quite some time...but nobody wanted it so I modded it with 3 Seouls and a Shark. I like the modded head VERY much.
    I just recieved my Scoutlight and the KL4 on that is BAD-ASS!!!

Now I understand why so many people like the L4. It is night and day between the two heads...both before modding it and after! The first one I got just sucked! I remember turning it on for the first time and being let down! I have since bought and sold many lights. After getting the Scoutlight I am EXTREMELY impessed by the KL4!

Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

Flashaholic*

Hey ttran, what is dan doing these days, sorry for the interruption!! Doug
    Grateful friend of Bill W.

The TW4 is a classic in the history of LED lights, one I still think of with much fondness.

These days I'm carrying a KL4 modified with Seoul SSCP4 emitter and Acorn867 multi-brightness driver, mounted on a Vital Gear single-cell clicky body with clip. I'll typically clip the thing to the neck collar on my shirt during the evenings for a handy, and bright, light that's always within easy reach. Lately that's been my EDC... I think of it kinda as the spiritual continuation of the TW4!
    --Scott

Woa! Ol'timer's reunion going on over here. Nice to see y'all guys still around!

(again)

Incidentally, I never quite liked that setup - despite the brightness, it's too small for my paws.
    Last edited by greenLED; 11-21-2007 at 07:29 PM.

I m still carrying a TW4(?) well sort of. I love single cell light and manage to get myself a long time back a KL4+VG single cell body.
    The VG body was just too short for my hands.

Several years later my TW4 is a modded KL4 head (ARC mania booster converter and seoul) + E1L body. It can only take Primary cell brust out brighter than my Gizmo PDS and runs for close to 2 hours.

The VG body got the E1L head, standard optic but with seoul led and feels like a tiny flame thrower.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

Nascar...I know you've got your Titans now! I'm sure that baby puts the TW4 to shame! hehe.

dtsoll...Dan's in Colorado and doing fine. Busy scaring bears away from his backyard, like always. If you want to contact him, PM me your email and I'll pass it along to him.

milkyspit...I can't wait to send in my KL4 for you to work your magic. It'll be like giving an old car a brand new engine! :

Robocop...that's cool that you found this light useful for duty! I bet your partners didn't think much of it when they first saw it!

Everyone else...those newer incarnations of the TW4 look pretty amazing. I'm glad that you guys liked this little light. Sure, everyone (non-CPFers) expects something like the M6 or even the 6P to put out a lot of light...but people sure are shocked to see this little guy light up the room!
    Last edited by ttran97; 11-21-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Howdy flashlightfans, haven't been on these pages for over a year - had to go cold turkey .

I love the TW4, because

- it has a positive, intuitive, hard wearing switch
    - it takes rechargeables
    - it's small, so I can hang it around my neck
    - it takes a diffuser, which also acts as a rim protector

Since I've been away so long, perhaps some of you can bring me up to date on any new lights that share all of the above qualities ....
    How much current flows through your bulb?

Got my L4. Been using it with my E1E body. One CR123 puts out about 1/3 light output of L4, but stilll that nice wide beam. RCR123 gets hot pretty quick, but really bright. Pulls 1.2 amps from battery with RCR123 and 17650, and 350mA with CR123.

Bill

I used to have a TW4 configuration a while back, but I sold it of. When I looked at this thread, those feelings are coming back. TW4 are great as the output is very bright floody and even. I may be getting a E1e & KL4-BK for an all black setup...that would be a keeper.
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

Greattt..I stumpled upon this thread and remember my TW4 that my EX-GF kept when I broke up with her!!!!

I left it at her place and now it is never to be seen again. Maybe one day she will be kind and return it to me because the KL4 was given to me by PK at a meet. #@$@#$@#$#@ Sorry Paul! I'll get it back

Quote Originally Posted by V8TOYTRUCK View Post
    Greattt..I stumpled upon this thread and remember my TW4 that my EX-GF kept when I broke up with her!!!!

I left it at her place and now it is never to be seen again. Maybe one day she will be kind and return it to me because the KL4 was given to me by PK at a meet. #@$@#$@#$#@ Sorry Paul! I'll get it back

Man, I don't EVEN want to think about all the lights that I gave up after my last serious relationship ended. We were together for almost 3 years, so you can imagine the number of lights I gave her and her family. At least she didn't toss them all into the garbage!

Where in CA are you?

Noticed you had a nice M6...wanna trade for my X990 with 1 battery and 12volt supply for unlimited runtime?

I love this beauties

Greetings
    Dirk

Flashaholic

Nice Triplets Dirk!
    Surefire: Titan #317, M6-CB, X200A, C2-9V, G2Z, G2L. McGizmo: Ti PD-S. ORB: Raw Ti XR-E. *I respond to Emails much quicker.*

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast