Any TW4 fans anymore?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this probably belongs here. I know that there are so many Cree's out there and the new E1L is probably really cool, but I was just wondering if there were still any fans of the TW4 (E1e + KL4). Back in the day, that was a pretty bright flood light in a compact body. It's hard to believe that it's been around for nearly 5 years.

Anyway, I'd like to see pics and hear your thoughts on this oldie but goodie. Here's mine...one of the first TW4's:

As you can see, the bezel's taken its share of beatings over the years. But this puppy's a world traveler. Been to over 15 airports in the US, 4 different islands in the Caribbean, and even over to Spain. :whistle:

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Although I don't have anymore of these lights, they are still great. It's amazing that as soon as something new comes out, the last "state-of-the-art" product gets throw aside. It was just yesterday, that Lux-III ___-bin was the thing to have. Now we have Cree and Soule and those other lights are now considered garbage by many.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a very nice black one with an E2D tail, I like it and it looks great but I don't use it. My ML1 gets used more. Not sure where the term TW4 came from though.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I came up with the term TW4. Tactical Warehouse used to be one of the biggest dealers here on CPF. At the time, I worked on their webpage and helped with customers and stuff. When the KL4 first started shipping, we decided to sell the E1e with the KL4 as a package, hence the TW4 name. The KL1 at the time wasn't very bright at all, and there were few mods that would have made the light affordable to the general CPF public.

But anyway, it's been years since TW was sold and I've been away from CPF for a while. It still brings a smile to my face whenever I see someone mention that they have a "TW4"...especially some of the newer members. Nothing like a trip down Old Memory Lane, huh fellas? :thumbsup:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Tactical Warehouse gone now?

Yeah, Dan sold his company back in 2005... I occasionally try to talk him into opening another flashlight business. Maybe I'll give him a call and bug him some more. haha. :naughty:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have now hundreds of lights after years of collecting and using them nightly on duty. Many are costly while some are cheap however I enjoy them all. Without a doubt the single most useful light I own is my trusty TW4 original. It still wows me with each use and that wall of light and has never failed me once as a back up light. Yes it has saved my butt several times and I wish I had a second one but they are rare.

With the better rechargeable 123 cells today the TW4 can still hold its own with many of todays top lights. It is truly a perfect blend of size and function and looks great with a VG1 body. My TW4 is still one of my favorites and I will carry it until it either breaks or I retire...(10 more years)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have used that configuration over the years. Sold and lost KL4's, but one is in the mail (L4) and I intend to put the head on my E1E. A true TW4 user would use the CR123, but I will go with a Powerizer RCR123.

Bill

Robocop

Bullzeyebill the ability to use a standard 123 cell was what sold me on this light originally and the original TW4s were hand picked with a lower vf to do just that if I remember correct. I loved the light then however with the R123s it was perfect for a short run/high power back up light....I just could not resist the ability to run in regulation if even for a short time on R123 cells.

The best part of this light for me was that my best friend Owen traded it to me for a sweet deal....I cant remember exactly the trade but I think it was for an Ultra-G and something like a Fenix L1P....regardless it was the best trade I ever made as I have used this light often. Many nights it has searched a building or came in handy on a traffic stop when my main light went dim from user error....( I forgot to charge it fully...hehe)

The amazing thing is I just tried it on a standard cell and it has been a long time since I powered it this way. It is still very bright even from 3 volts and I had forgotten just how nice this set up was.

Robocop

I found the old thread where I had to repair my VG1 clip. Scroll to the bottom for pics.... http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115126

After months of stressing the clip on my thicker duty belt the threads were stripping out. I was determined to find a stronger way to attatch the clip and eventually did just that.....not as pretty however this clip is not stripping anymore and I feel much better knowing it will not be lost. I also attatch the lanyard loop to a keeper on my belt just in case. Of all my lights if I lost this one I would hate it the most.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
This thread reminded me of an old friend. So I opened up my parts box, put a KL4 on an E1e body, inserted a fresh AW cell and fired it up. Yup!Same warm, fuzzy, smile on my face feeling I had the first time I did it a long time ago:)

With all the rapid advancement going on in the past year, I had forgotten a trusted friend. Think we'll get aquainted again...

Best Regards:
Bob

bxstylez

Enlightened
not to get off topic.....

but does anyone know the size of the o-ring on the vg-f1 body?
looks like mines needs a replacing

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the advent of CREEs, Fenixes and so forth, mine has not seem much use for a good while.

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

bxstylez

Enlightened
noodle:

is that a cr2 body?
if so, do you know where i can get one, along with the tailcap (2-stage)?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heres my modified TW4. It gets about 1/2 hour of runtime, and is WAY more floody than the standard KL4. I must have recieved a crappy KL4 as my first one. It was a terrible greenish/yellow, and I think the emitter was on its way out. I never really liked it to much and tried to sell it for quite some time...but nobody wanted it so I modded it with 3 Seouls and a Shark. I like the modded head VERY much.
I just recieved my Scoutlight and the KL4 on that is BAD-***!!!

Now I understand why so many people like the L4. It is night and day between the two heads...both before modding it and after! The first one I got just sucked! I remember turning it on for the first time and being let down! I have since bought and sold many lights. After getting the Scoutlight I am EXTREMELY impessed by the KL4!

SF278.jpg

SF418.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TW4 is a classic in the history of LED lights, one I still think of with much fondness. :eek:

These days I'm carrying a KL4 modified with Seoul SSCP4 emitter and Acorn867 multi-brightness driver, mounted on a Vital Gear single-cell clicky body with clip. I'll typically clip the thing to the neck collar on my shirt during the evenings for a handy, and bright, light that's always within easy reach. Lately that's been my EDC... I think of it kinda as the spiritual continuation of the TW4!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Woa! Ol'timer's reunion going on over here. Nice to see y'all guys still around!

:welcome: (again)

Incidentally, I never quite liked that setup - despite the brightness, it's too small for my paws.

Last edited: