Stiff U2 selector ring

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 3 year old U2 from one of the very first lights produced and it is an AWESOME light.. it still is :)

However I think the years are getting to it. The selector dial is now so stiff it requires two hands, with almost as much force as it takes to get a stubborn bottle cap off a bottle. I'm quite sure this was NOT part of the original design specification.

Early adopters had one trick which was to 'soak' Nyogel or similar lubricant into the light while rotating the dial back and forth. It's worked for me before, but no longer seems to work.

How much force does it take to set the power level on later U2s? And has anybody figured out a way to disassemble the U2 to fix the dial?

Before you say 'send it in' I'm genuinely concerned about losing this particular special U2 with one of the nicest tints I've ever seen on ANY LED emitter (it's a WA tint according to LuxV bin codes and pink), and it's also one of the 'old' U2's with 18650 support.

Come on PK, give us back 18650 support.. you da man!! Don't let the diehard U2 supporters down :D

PS: Where's our L4 with U2-style collar? :D

Last edited:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
MMM U4 (L4 with U2 Collar ;) ) :)

If the light is still original spec, one way might be to call Surefire and ask to speak to a CS Manager. I've found that in general dealing with a person is alot better than a warranty department in regard to specific requests. Let them know the situation, that you really like YOUR U2 etc, and from there they will develop options to help you. If an option exists that you are happy with e.g. specific requests in the RMA authorised by CS Manager to only service your light you should be pretty right. Of course a small possibility exists that something may occur. Just my 2 cents if you are looking at returning it to Surefire.

For me one thing that comes to mind is that if you're 'soaking' it in a gel etc, this could easily explain why it is becoming more stiff over the long term. Just a possibility, but IMHO one worth investigating if the guys here can help you clean it.

Woohoo my 1000th post! :party:

Last edited:

ja10

Enlightened
Have you tried removing the selector ring and just cleaning it out? You can do it by turning the dial toward level 1, and it pops off. My ring was getting difficult to turn (not as bad as you), and there was just a lot of crap in there.

GreySave

Enlightened
The ring on my few months old U2 is stiff, but it can still be "one handed" without much difficulty.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My early 2006 U2's ring can still be operated one-handed but I always resisted the temptation of putting any lube into it.... ;)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Kevin, look for threads started by grnamin. He's got a tutorial on how to disassemble the U2 somewhere. An experienced user, such as yourself, shouldn't have a problem taking it apart.

Before the surgery... how about letting it soak in warm soapy water for a while. Work the ring under water. Repeat a multiple of times... maybe that will loosen whatever crud has accumulated under the ring over the years of abuse you've put that light through. (I'd love pics of its current state, BTW.)

I agree, I have a *superb* U2 and I'd absolutely hate to have it replaced by another one if I ever sent it for repair.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
DANG!!!!!

So it *IS* possible to remove the collar after all!

Early advice was to try and 'work' some lube into the ring. BAD BAD idea now that I know better. Yes I can hear some 'grating' underneath the ring and I always thought I was screwed because we assumed the ring was impossible to remove.

CPF rocks again.. just for reference I've linked it:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/148684&highlight=U2

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/145020&highlight=U2

GreenLED.. you and grnamin RULE!!!!! :buddies:

Mine seems impossible to get off though. Do you have to turn the ring to a specific position first?

The light itself.. is in very good condition all things considered, although the rim of the bezel has a lot of silver. my E1e is the one that looks bad :D

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
GreenLED.. you and grnamin RULE!!!!! :buddies:

Mine seems impossible to get off though. Do you have to turn the ring to a specific position first?
You gotta twist it past the lowest light setting, IIRC.

All the credit goes to grnamin, I ain't got the stones to open up my baby U2.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
before going to the extremes [removing the ring]
might be best to read these
U2 selector ring friction fix
The selector ring of Surefire U2. [stiff]
U2 - Very Stiff!! Selector Ring

:grin2:

That's the bad advice I now know not to use.. it doesn't really help much. The solution is to disassemble it and clean it.

That having been said my hands are sore right now, even WITH gloves. I don't think it's so much an issue of physical strength. I'm twisting hard enough to hurt myself THROUGH the gloves.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Maybe you need to warm it up? IIRC, Greg's light was easy to open but other people's are not. Shoot him a PM, maybe he's got some extra supah-dupah secret move to open it.