Recommendations for optics to use with Cree XR-E

drgannet

Newly Enlightened
First some background - a couple of years ago I built a dynamo light using W bin Luxeon III LEDs - 4 wired in series to run off a Schmidt hub. I used the manual switched voltage doubler circuit from that top man Martin, and Optics from Carclo. Being only for on-road use I selected the 4 degree optics to get the highest light intensity on the road. The LEDs were mounted in a 2x2 arrangement on a large heatsink bent so that the optics projected the light about 7 degrees apart - the result was that 15-20m in front of the bike the light was exactly where I wanted it on the road. The set-up worked pretty well, and the dynamo Solidlights (which a lot of people here in the UK are using) looked pretty dim by comparison.

Anyway, I recently got hold of some samples of un-mounted Cree XR-E LEDs (P4) and compared the light output to the Luxeon III. Despite the datasheets predicting that the Crees would only be slightly brighter, it turns out that the integrated light output of the Crees (as measured in an integrating sphere) is about 2.6x that the the Luxeons at 350mA to 500mA. So, what I want to do is to replace the Luxeons with Crees, but with minimal disruption to the mechanics of the light (that being the hardest bit to do in the first place). I've ordered some star heatsinks from DealExtreme onto which the Crees will be surface mounted, but I can't use the 26mm Carclo optics that worked so well before.

So, to come back to the title of this post, I would be interested to hear people's recommendations for the best optics (lens or reflector) to use with Cree XR-E to give the narrowest beam spot (without having to go to aspherics), but which are be compatible with a start mount (I am assuming the ones I have ordered are the same size as the Luxeon ones).

Thanks for your help.

znomit

Enlightened
Hey Ive built a few bent lights like that.
You can get a nice wide oval beam.

These are a tight, claim 8 degrees.
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1603
10$ for 10, I think you can buy singles for less on kai too.
I used a dab of epoxy to mount to the star.

I think this is +/- 6, they are a little wider then the one above and more spill.
http://www.ledsupply.com/l2-optx-1-006.php
Much easier to star mount, make sure you get stars with 6 electrical connection pads(the ones with 4 don't fit!)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are a tight, claim 8 degrees.
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1603
10$ for 10, I think you can buy singles for less on kai too.
I used a dab of epoxy to mount to the star.
These mount onto Crees without epoxy - they're just a push fit, and extremely easy to use. Four singles cost one cent more than the ten pack. If it was going to take direct knocks (ie, exposed, not within a box) or get a lot of vibration (eg, mountain biking) then epoxy away, by all means.

I think this is +/- 6, they are a little wider then the one above and more spill.
http://www.ledsupply.com/l2-optx-1-006.php
Much easier to star mount, ...
I'm surprised you say that. I once used that sort on a Luxeon K2. Only once, never again. It was diabolically hard to mount because the plastic of the optic base covered the contacts so my wires couldn't fit. :hairpull: I ended up having to saw and melt access for them. :banghead: The adhesive pad was also too small to hold the thing on, as most of its useful area was off the sides of the star. :rant: The thing just wasn't designed to be used. I really hope the Cree versions are better.

If you want a bit more spill with a good central spot you could try this reflector. It does need to be glued on.

drgannet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered the Seoul P4 route, but I have a sample coming so I'll see how well it matches the existing optics and whether any shims, etc. would be required. If no success then I'll consider changing the system to Crees. I'll let you know how it goes.