Microfire 35w and EzNite 10W

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just so happen to have both lights in hand tonight along with the new Canon 40D ready to go do I snapped a few pics.

I'm not at all impressed with the Microfire. It seems all there lights lack quality control. The Passaround Microfire seems to flicker even when warmed up. I know the first light in the passaround was returned to the dealer for flickering also. The 10W EZnite will easily out throw the larger Microfire 35w light though the 35w as shown emits much more overall light.

IMG_0074-vi.jpg

IMG_0076-vi.jpg

Notice the Poorly coated Microfire reflector

IMG_0078-vi.jpg

EzNite Stage Left Microfire Stage Right

IMG_0064-vi.jpg

IMG_0063-vi.jpg

IMG_0062-vi.jpg

EzNite

IMG_0068-vi.jpg

Microfire

IMG_0069-vi.jpg

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
Very interesting, Mac.

How does the EZnite compare to one of your MiniMiniHIDs with a SMO reflector in terms of throw?

HIDSGT

Enlightened
What does this mean? "The 10W EZnite will easily out throw the larger Microfire 35w light though the 35w as shown emits much more overall light."

I hear what your saying about the flickering. I have that issue with my Wolfeyes K500 and had the same issue with my Shark II. But for $400 I guess it is no Polarian.

The You Tube videos are quite impressive tho. That thing is still very bright! The coating does look kinda cheesy in that pic!

How do you like that 10W BTW?

Last edited:

stargzn

Newly Enlightened
I have the Microfire K2000R and my reflector coating looks different than the 3500. Mine does not look that cheap.

pete7226

Enlightened
Wow, considering I wasn't that impressed with the Eznite's throw when I had it, I'm expecting the Microfire to be a big letdown. My overdriven Mn16 in a Kt2 threw almost as far and had just as much output with a better bulb temperature. I should have the k3500 in about 1-2 weeks, Man I hope with that 3 inch reflector the Microfire can throw some distance, otherwise, as soon as funds permit, Polarion here I come.

vandraiss

Newly Enlightened
Wow, considering I wasn't that impressed with the Eznite's throw when I had it, I'm expecting the Microfire to be a big letdown. My overdriven Mn16 in a Kt2 threw almost as far and had just as much output with a better bulb temperature. I should have the k3500 in about 1-2 weeks, Man I hope with that 3 inch reflector the Microfire can throw some distance, otherwise, as soon as funds permit, Polarion here I come.
First let me say that I have one of the first K3500R's. I have no "flicker" outside at all. I don't see "flicker" inside either although the documentation with the light says you may notice inside flicker. If you see outside "flicker" send the light back. Second the reflector diameter is 2 3/4" not 3" just to be precise. Third, and most importantly "throw" and "flood" of high performance lights needs to be considered objectively. A light that can "see" for a 1/2 mile is useless if the beam is like 6' in diameter. At that distance you won't know what you are looking at.
A light that can see 1000' and cover a 100' area will do you a lot more good. If I am using a light to identify threats I'd rather be able to see everybody at 1000' than one guy in a crowd at 1/2 mile. The guy at 1/2 mile is no threat to me at all but the group of guys at 50 to 300 yards may be worth watching. Inside 50-100 yards the K3500R will blind them reducing even their risk. As far as lights are concerned, I base my opinions on the following lights I own.

I own Streamlights best, the Ultrastinger (good light-small beam). Surefires best (Dominator 10X) a great 2 bulb light that throws a huge amount of light but only for 18 minutes on high (3 hours on low beam). For small lights I have both the Fenix P3D premium 100 and 2 P1D Q5's (outstanding lights at 200 lumens and 180 lumens respectively). For lights that weight 3 or 4 ounces they will illuminate objects at 50 yards.

The bottom line is buy a light that suits your needs. Consider how much area you need to see, at what distance, and for how long.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting, Mac.

How does the EZnite compare to one of your MiniMiniHIDs with a SMO reflector in terms of throw?

My Mini Mini HID's are overdriven and produce at least 20% more output than the EZNite driven with 4 CR123's. I do not have any HID's built to compare them to the EzNite but I believe somebody already compared the 2 and said the modified mag was definetly brighter.

Mac

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you compare the Microfire VS the Helios?

I do have a Helios and i am just curios if i made the right decition putting up the extra cash for it.

:sssh:

Benny

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
First let me say that I have one of the first K3500R's. I have no "flicker" outside at all. I don't see "flicker" inside either although the documentation with the light says you may notice inside flicker. If you see outside "flicker" send the light back. Second the reflector diameter is 2 3/4" not 3" just to be precise. Third, and most importantly "throw" and "flood" of high performance lights needs to be considered objectively. A light that can "see" for a 1/2 mile is useless if the beam is like 6' in diameter. At that distance you won't know what you are looking at.
A light that can see 1000' and cover a 100' area will do you a lot more good. If I am using a light to identify threats I'd rather be able to see everybody at 1000' than one guy in a crowd at 1/2 mile. The guy at 1/2 mile is no threat to me at all but the group of guys at 50 to 300 yards may be worth watching. Inside 50-100 yards the K3500R will blind them reducing even their risk. As far as lights are concerned, I base my opinions on the following lights I own.

I own Streamlights best, the Ultrastinger (good light-small beam). Surefires best (Dominator 10X) a great 2 bulb light that throws a huge amount of light but only for 18 minutes on high (3 hours on low beam). For small lights I have both the Fenix P3D premium 100 and 2 P1D Q5's (outstanding lights at 200 lumens and 180 lumens respectively). For lights that weight 3 or 4 ounces they will illuminate objects at 50 yards.

The bottom line is buy a light that suits your needs. Consider how much area you need to see, at what distance, and for how long.

Vandraiss I understand your points and agree with you but I don't even think lights specifically designed for throw such as the MaxaBeam would be 6' diameter at 1000'.

You need to choose the lights that fit your application and for me if I needed a light to Identify threats there is no way that it is going to be a Microfire. In terms of light failures of HID lights Microfire is currently at the top of the list. Just be sure to purchase one from a stand up dealer such as Optics HQ just in case problems arise in the future. I know the K3500 passaround was delayed for over a month as the first 2 lights where DOA.

Mac

dwminer

Enlightened
I just so happen to have both lights in hand tonight along with the new Canon 40D ready to go do I snapped a few pics.

I'm not at all impressed with the Microfire. It seems all there lights lack quality control. The Passaround Microfire seems to flicker even when warmed up. I know the first light in the passaround was returned to the dealer for flickering also. The 10W EZnite will easily out throw the larger Microfire 35w light though the 35w as shown emits much more overall light.Notice the Super Cheap Cheasy microfire reflector coating

"cmacclel", that's good to know. I will cancle my order that I have with OpticsHQ's for the Microfire 35 watt when they open on Monday.
Dave

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heey...
Im serious.

I have actually considered selling it to buy a Microfire.
Or another similar 35W HID.

But dangit i dont wanna,the light that gave me the most WOW factor was your MiniHID and after owning the K2000R,The Eznite and now the Helios the MiniHID is still the light i will always remeber as an insane throw light in a small package.

Sadly i dont have one anymore to compare against the Helios.

Not that i dont like my Helios,i LOVE it.Just wondering if i could get more bang for the buck with another cheaper light without beeing dissapointed.

Benny
Compare? Benny good joke :) Your just showing off !

Mac

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac, thanks for the lowdown on the Microfire. I was considering it but for $400++ it had better be a good light, even if it is HID and all that. If it isn't, I'd rather spend that $$ elsewhere.

Congratulations on the new 40D. Nice photography too :)

A slightly OT but still light related question. What's your flashlight photography lighting setup? I'm guessing one flash, umbrella/softbox off camera to the left?

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac, thanks for the lowdown on the Microfire. I was considering it but for $400++ it had better be a good light, even if it is HID and all that. If it isn't, I'd rather spend that $$ elsewhere.

Congratulations on the new 40D. Nice photography too :)

A slightly OT but still light related question. What's your flashlight photography lighting setup? I'm guessing one flash, umbrella/softbox off camera to the left?

I use a Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro lens and a 430ex bounced off the ceiling.

Mac

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro lens and a 430ex bounced off the ceiling.

Mac

Nice :) I have that setup - well had the 50 macro until 2 weeks ago. Thanks for sharing. I light mine using either a light tent or off-camera flash with shoot-thru white umbrella.

Niteowl helped me get one of those Vector 35W's in the end, so that will be my HID. Gonna install some nice new A123 packs in it.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Heey...
Im serious.

I have actually considered selling it to buy a Microfire.
Or another similar 35W HID.

:huh::eek::faint:

Morpheus, you already have the ultimate. I can't think of another HID, at any price, that comes close the to output of the Polarion while still being ergonomic and useful. I'm buying the 3500 because I can't afford the PH40, but I'm not going to kid myself. I realize that there is NO comparison between a cheap, chinese, play thing and a serious instrument like the Polarion.

Thanks for the pics Mac. To bad that Microfire really over-frosted the reflector for some reason. It seems to me that they could have given it a nice MOP reflector and still attained good spill without sacrificing so much throw. I really like the little Enzite though.

Patriot

Flashaholic
What is the status of the EZnite? Sorry to ask but I've kinda lost track. Couldn't find any info in the Marketplace.

Border

Newly Enlightened
It seems to be available from jillite.com. I dont' know whether they accept international orders or not.
:anyone:

If your Korean is as "rusty" as mine, Google Translate helps out a little bit - even though it translates the Korean Won symbol (₩) to EUR in a rather incorrect way.

KRW 462,000 for the EZnite is about USD 492.

What strikes me, is that they sell the Polarion at KRW 1,540,000, which corresponds to something like USD 1,641.

Hmmmmmmm - I wonder...
No, better not. :broke:

Last edited: