Need a sugestion. Keychain light for Christmas

xringx

Newly Enlightened
I would be getting this for myself and my father in law. We are not light nuts, but we do appreciate quality.

Having said that, I am looking for a light that goes well on a key chain. Size is always an issue so nothing to big. Cost isnt much of an issue for quality, but of course if 2 items seem roughly the same, the lower priced option sometimes wins.

Can you please make a suggestion. If you have a link, that would be great also. At worst a suggestion of where to buy it online would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best coin cell keychain lights come from Photon. I'd get the Photon II (the one with a locking switch) and forget the micro controlled ones. I had one and I never had use for the nifty modes or even dimming. I'd also bypass the X-Light, even though it's cheaper. It's cheaper for a reason :) It's the ONLY Photon light I've ever had break, and it broke in a matter of days. The Photon II is simple, tough, bright and completely reliable.

http://www.photonlight.com/LED-Keychain-Flashlights-s/1.htm

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered myself two small AAA keychain lights for Christmas. :)

I went with the new Fenix LOD-CE with a Cree Q4. Not sure if you and your father would be into the red finish with snow flakes though. :)

https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=370&osCsid=172b7867ed0e7a6a57a4a4dacb19a05e

There are other LOD-CE versions on Fenix store, but here's a black one with a Rebel80 LED, which probably won't be as bright as the new Cree Q4 version:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=326&osCsid=172b7867ed0e7a6a57a4a4dacb19a05e

I also have a LiteFlux LF2 on the way, I went with the SSC version:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169290

Both can use AAA batteries. People feel the Fenix LOD peforms best with Ni-MH batteries, but it can be brighter with 10440 lithium rechargables, but there are mixed feelings on how safe this is for the light, and is kind of a try it at your own risk thing. It also means buying specialized batteries and a charger.

The LiteFlux is more designed to work with 10440 batteries and it sounds like it performs best with them. If you are just feeding the light with regular AAA akalines the Fenix should be brighter. The Fenix LOD-CE is probably also brighter than the LifeFlux LF2 if both are using 10440's as I understand it. I'll know more when I have both in hand. :) I'm sure others that own both can add more to this.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if youre not a light nut unlike most of us here are proud to be, go with the photon light, but I would suggest the micro series, i have actually found the other modes useful..:) and these arent the 2dollar kind you find a discount stores or ssupermarket, you are paying that extra 10-15 more dollars for a really a good product. I would actually suggest the X-light, its not that bad, but i have yet to get my hands on a freedom..

Crenshaw

xringx

Newly Enlightened
Lots of neat things to look at!!!! I am think I like the Arc and then either the E0 or E1. I like the 10hrs+ of light for the E0 5hrs vs 10-12hrs. What else distinguishes those lights?

Thanks so far!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if youre not a light nut unlike most of us here are proud to be, go with the photon light, but I would suggest the micro series, i have actually found the other modes useful..:) and these arent the 2dollar kind you find a discount stores or ssupermarket, you are paying that extra 10-15 more dollars for a really a good product. I would actually suggest the X-light, its not that bad, but i have yet to get my hands on a freedom..

Crenshaw

Note -I never said the Freedom was a BAD light! :) I am however a fan of KISS. And I could never keep all the modes straight. If a keychain light is going to have modes, they should be few and obvious, like dimming. That's my two cents anyway :) The Freedom was made like the other coin cell lights; bulletproof.

Now if I could only get my ReX which, I just found out, is delayed until AFTER Christmas! Shoulda got in sooner!

Photon. Get one. Doesn't matter which really, you're getting a good light. Maybe I was just unlucky with my Xlight. DON'T preorder new lights from them though. You'll end up as bald as I am!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always thought of my keychain light as sort of a last resort back up and as such I keep a simple one level light on my keys. I had a Fenix E0 for over a year but it has been replaced by an Arc AAA. Nothing fancy about them, just simple one level lights that have long runtimes and produce more than enough light for up close tasks.

The Fenix E0 is not as bright as the Arc but I actually like the beam of the E0 better. Ther is a secondary ring of light that surrounds the beam of my Arc. Nost time i do not notice it but there are times when I do. It's not a huge deal considering everything else about the light is great. Either of these would serve you well. If you want durability and brightness then get the Arc AAA. If you want a more affordable slighly less bright option then go with the Fenix E0. Keep in mind that Arc has faster shipping that ranges from about $8.00 to $20.00 in the U.S. and $16.00 to $26.00 International whereas the Fenix-store has free (but slower) worldwide shipping.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are looking at the E1, jump up and get the L0D-CE. I think You would be much happier with the output(high has more overall output then the Maglite 3D and low has a runtime of 5 hours). UI is pretty simple, Twist on and it would be on medium. If you leave it off for more then 2(It might be a bit less but more then 1)? seconds, it will reset and start over at medium. Turn it on within 2? seconds and it will change to the next mode.

The ARC would probably be tougher(and Have HAIII, there is no such thing as HAII if you were wondering) but the E0 has a longer runtime and a cheaper price.

Last edited:

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
My dad is as practical as they come. WWII guy that is as far from a light nut as you can get. I gave him an Arc AAA---and he carries it every day, even shows it to friends. Seriously nice piece of kit for the money.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photon Freedom gets my vote. The ReX sounds interesting, too, but since it's not out yet, can't vouch for it.

The Photons are so tiny that you really don't notice them at all. I carry two on a keychain, back-to-back, for a two-LED light and/or for a back-up and twice the runtime. For gifts, you may also want to consider providing an extra set of batteries.

Other keychain contenders would be the Arc, the Drake/Draco, and/or the Wee from Lummi. There may be others, but can't think of them offhand.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The ARC would probably be tougher(and Have HAIII, there is no such thing as HAII if you were wondering) but the E0 has a longer runtime(But no HAIII, it has type 2 anodizing which wears quicker but doesn't affect the actual functioning of the light).

E0 is HA-III, as are all Fenix lights. The black ones aren't quite as durable as some HA-III, but the natural finish is very good.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon freedom micros are the ones I would go for. They can be had for 10$ if you look around. sometimes they do crop up on the marketplace B/S/T....multiple brightness, long runtime.