LED Lenser 7438 - Light turned yellowish after prolonged use

lightsabre

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a question regarding the LED Lenser 7438.

After turning it on for a while (10 mins or more), I noticed that color of the light becomes 'yellowish' as compared to the white light that it produced the moment it was turned on.

Can anyone confirm my observation or is it my eyes playing tricks on me.

Many thanks.

Stromberg

Enlightened
Hi, I have a question regarding the LED Lenser 7438.

After turning it on for a while (10 mins or more), I noticed that color of the light becomes 'yellowish' as compared to the white light that it produced the moment it was turned on.

Can anyone confirm my observation or is it my eyes playing tricks on me.

Many thanks.

Well, I can't confirm your observation without some kind of beam comparison but I've noticed that some Led Lensers are harshly overdriven. For example my LL David 19(with only 1watt Luxeon) draws 1A from the 14500 when fresh out of charger and typically about 700mA.
Once it went accidentally on in the belt pouch and was on maybe 15-30 minutes. The whole torch was hot as h*ll but I didn't notice any changes in tint or brightness.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
LEDs usually turn blue if overheating.

Maybe the batteries are suffering from too much draw(what batteries are you using?) and current decreases, that is a more probable reason for the yellowing.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1.. If you're using Heavy Duty or even Alkaline batteries,, that could cause the output to appear yellowish after a bit of use. The 7438 draws hard on the batteries, and primaries can't take it. At least not for very long. Rechargeable NiMh batteries work best in this light.

Edit: As an after thought, you also may have gotten an LED that is slightly yellow in tint. When an LED's current draw is reduced (in this case meaning the battery is weakening) the inherent tint of the LED will be more pronounced.

Last edited: