Your edc and carry choice (Am i OTT?)

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
What light(s) are you EDC'ing these days and whats your method of carry? I mean what do you carry "with you on your body" not something in a coat or in a bag that can be put down and walked away from. I know i love flashlights, but im trying to think if im going over the top with the following.

P3D CE
P3D Q5
P1D CE

I have the space to carry both p3d's in my side pouch i keep on my belt, alont with 4 cr123.. and i keep the P1DCE in my left trouser pocket.. is that OTT compared to a hard core flashalolic orientated /geek/collector?

I look at my carry of lights as a safety and preparedness thing. If i need it i want to make sure i have backup batteries, and have something to lend out. My idea is that the 2 p3d's i have will be mine, just incase the Snot hits the fan... so to speak

Last edited:

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
I think three lights, and essentially 7 batteries is overkill.

Cut down to 2 lights and 1 extra battery (for day to day edc)

I've carried a Fenix P1 back in the day, then a L2T with CR123 tube for the past year. About three weeks ago I upgraded to a P2D Q5.

The light is always in my right jeans pocket.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orb NS on my belt, Orb Wee in my pocket and whatever is 'flavour of the day' ( probably a Fenix) in my other pocket. A well used Fenix L0P with a Cree upgrade on my keys.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
my normal edc, is P3D Q5, P1D CE, 4 spare Cr123

But since i got the space, and i dont like the idea of being in a place and time where something really bad happens, or something dangerous and im up the creek withought a paddle so to speak. If i have both p3d's then i have a backup, but i dont want to lend someone a £40 light... so thats why i thought about carry on carry the P1D CE in my pocket since its so small. I dont know. yes you can be over the top, but its not like im having to change my carry options because i have the room in my pouch to carry 4 P3D's if i wanted lol, but i think having 2 P3D's is better since they are better on battery life, rather that having a P1D CE, but then again as i said, i dont want to lend someone a P3D because i value it as my best light.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
my normal edc, is P3D Q5, P1D CE, 4 spare Cr123

But since i got the space, and i dont like the idea of being in a place and time where something really bad happens, or something dangerous and im up the creek withought a paddle so to speak. If i have both p3d's then i have a backup, but i dont want to lend someone a £40 light... so thats why i thought about carry on carry the P1D CE in my pocket since its so small. I dont know. yes you can be over the top, but its not like im having to change my carry options because i have the room in my pouch to carry 4 P3D's if i wanted lol, but i think having 2 P3D's is better since they are better on battery life, rather that having a P1D CE, but then again as i said, i dont want to lend someone a P3D because i value it as my best light.

I guess if you have the space and are comfortable, then by all means...

I like the fact that the "D" Fenixes are variable output. If I was in a bind with one battery, I can limit the amount of juice I use to save the battery.

I forgot to add that I carry a CountyComm white pocket light on my keychain.

Flic

Enlightened
I have to agree, that does sound a little much.

I do agree with the motto "If you got one, you got none. If you got two, then you got one".

I alternate between a P1 and a P2D carried in a holster on my belt. I wear at suit a work and cannot carry much in my pockets as it looks awful. The tiny P1 disappears behind my cell phone, so I don't get those funny looks when I take off my jacket. I usually have either an old ARC or Photon in my pocket. A spare CR123 cell waits in my briefcase. If someone needs a light they get the Photon or ARC.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also i forgot to mention that till the other day i was carrying a fenix E0 on my keychain, but a bus seat attackd me, and when i got up my light went flying and the ring was bent and snapped. then because i was not "on the ball" just standing looking at my light wondering what am i going to.... the driver put his F'in foot down and i almost went flying.... talk about adding insult to injury lol.. so now its in my coat, but i dont plan on carrying it everywhere since i do have all these other lights.

At the present time im testing the 2x p3d and 1x p1d scenario to see how i like it, just did it today. Yes anyone who finds out will think i am a true kook who needs psychiatric help or something lol. I just made myself a promis that i will always have light, and that i have something else to lend to someone. But since i have the spare room in my pouch i could carry the extra light, so in my opinion stuff what people think about me, because im sure most of us flashaholic orientated people are "looked down on" by people who think its cool to be in darkness, but until something dangerous or scary happens and they are plunged into darkness suddenly, they will continue to think what ever they like about me even if i carry 1 p3d light... so i really dont care what my friends and family think. I am who i am, and carrying a light does not affect my IQ.. know what i mean? I dont walk down the street dribbling on myself and talking to invisible people or something.. I just wanted to find out from other "flashlight orientated" people if they think i am OTT having 2 different p3d's and a p1d ce as a "lender"

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add, i am comfortable carrying 1 P3D Q5 and 1 P1D CE and my 4 batteries as normal. I just feel that my space in my pouch is crying to be used for something, and since i dont carry a full sized knife or multitool anymore, i figured i would just carry the extra light. "only testing for fit, comfort and easy of release and re-holster.

Brozneo

Enlightened
I always EDC my ML-1... Why would I need anything else??? Your carrying 3 x Fenix LED lights which have mutliple outputs - why don't you just carry one - I think your just doubling up.... and the chance of a light actually breaking is slim also...

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always EDC my ML-1... Why would I need anything else??? Your carrying 3 x Fenix LED lights which have mutliple outputs - why don't you just carry one - I think your just doubling up.... and the chance of a light actually breaking is slim also...

I always have at least 2 lights. ot because output or anything, but i must have a light i can lend to someone, because i refuse to lend my one and only light that i have, and i am a nice guy and dont want to deny a friend or family member light because they would think on top of being a computer geek and flashlight kook that i dont want to share lol. Only reason at this present moment i have 3 lights is im testing to see how it all fits and uses. I may only carry the P3D Q5 and P1D CE as normal. but i mean wtf am i going to fill my extra space with? I have a P2D also but i dont want to put a smal light in my pouch witha big light because the small will fall over and cause problems when re-holstering my P3D.

GBone

Newly Enlightened
I am a firm believer that one is rarely enough, I EDC lights, knives and handguns, and almost never leave without out least two of each. If you ask why it's simple, if it is important enough of a tool to have with you at all times than you had better be prepared for it not to work and have a backup.

So back to EDC lights on my person:
Work= Novatak 120T in my belt and Fenix L0D Cree in my pocket.
Casual= Galdius (with Seoul mod) or SF E2d on my belt and Fenix P1D in watch pocket. At times SF L1 Cree is a third light.

"Overkill Never Fails" it is that simple... :twothumbs

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L0PSE in my left front pocket, at night I add an X0 (tiros version) or X5 to my left hip pocket. Red and white Photon IIs on keychain.

East German Makarov or Witness .45acp in holster behind right hip or Kelt-tec Pt3AT in right front pocket, Meyerco Bolt Action in left hip pocket, Spyderco Cricket in right change pocket. Spare magazine and Gerber Multipliers in dual mag pouch behind left hip.

Thats about what I carry on a daily basis.

Ritch

Enlightened
Mostly I am wearing a suit at work. Arc AAA-P in the inner pocket of the jacket, leatherman micra in the right trousers pocket. If necessary, the NovaTac 120P is hooked into the belt or the Fenix P1D CE Q2 (Leef Body) is in the left trousers pocket.

edit: After my experience, mentioned in the following thread, I am never going to the washroom without the 120P or the P1 D any more ... :D

Funny flashlight experiences - Tell here!

Last edited:

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
At the moment I EDC:

Liteflux LF2(CREE version) with 10440 on my keychain along with a custom-made diffuser-fob which holds a spare battery. (link)
I can unclip the LF2 and use it alone, which I often do. It serves as my, low level, trip to the bathroom or reading at night, light.

On my belt, a P1D-CE(RCR123), but occasionally a P3D-RB100(RCR123s) if I think I may need the lower levels or the longer run time.

I live in such a brightly lit world that I have disappointingly few chances to put my lights to use, but those old boyscout words of wisdom still ring true...

Be prepared.

fishx65

Enlightened
MTE Seoul 5 mode in the front pocket for the last 4 months. I know it's a cheapie but it has the smoothest beam I've ever seen and so far it has been very durable and trouble free.

Flic

Enlightened
I always have at least 2 lights. ot because output or anything, but i must have a light i can lend to someone, because i refuse to lend my one and only light that i have, and i am a nice guy and dont want to deny a friend or family member light because they would think on top of being a computer geek and flashlight kook that i dont want to share lol. Only reason at this present moment i have 3 lights is im testing to see how it all fits and uses. I may only carry the P3D Q5 and P1D CE as normal. but i mean wtf am i going to fill my extra space with? I have a P2D also but i dont want to put a smal light in my pouch witha big light because the small will fall over and cause problems when re-holstering my P3D.

Well you are very generous. I started carrying a flashlight after three incidents (Yes, I am sort of slow and needed three lessons).

The first was a major ice storm that hit Eastern Ontarion and Western Québec as well as some parts of New York. My brother who lives in rural Ontario was without power for three weeks!! A flashaholic's dream but we had not seen the light then. I then was stuck in a subway car underground in Toronto when the power failed (yeah, a 60W bulb will light an escape tunnel - NOT!). And then there was the great Northeast blackout of 2003. I have not been without a light since (drives my wife nuts though). But I have never really thought of carrying lights for those poor unfortunate folks around me. I'll have to rethink that.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Overkill Never Fails" it is that simple... :twothumbs

Here, Here! There's just no reason to limit yourself to one. Primary tool has got to be handy. Backups close at hand - belt, backpack, glovebox, whereever. I keep an ARC AAAP in a pocket & use it constantly. Another on my keyring. And never leave home without a backpack with other essentials.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I typically now have 3 lights on me most of the time. In my pockets I carrry either a McLux PD-S or HDS U60 as well as an Arc AAA as a backup. On the keys is a Fenix E0. I would not consider what you are carrying to be over the top if you are in stuations where prolonged darkness is a frequent possibility. For me it would be too much because day to day I could get by with just a 5 lumen light. When I am out in the country though I do have with me more lights and batteries.

Just out of curiosity, do encounter frequent power outages or do you work someplace dark where prolonged flashlight use is required and where you also need to lend someone a light?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac in a holster on the belt.
McGizmo PD miser lanyard carry around the neck at work.

Fenix E1 on the key chain ( testing durability vs arc AAA)

Between the Novatac and the PD I have all of my edc needs covered.
IMHO Holster carry is great if you have the right holster.
I also EDC (on occasion) HDS EDC in a custom holster which holds the EDC along with a swisstool, an unbeatable combination.
I have so many choices for edc I have a lot of fun deciding what to carry on any given day depending on the activities I will be performing on that day.
At work I rarely switch from my PD as my primary edc. the secondary light is the Novatac 120P edc (amazing light).
Keep on collecting and playing and you will find a combination which fits you best.
Yaesumofo