Idea for emergency torch... power alternative

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably an upright LED lantern model.

My main thought, how about two separate (switchable) types of batteries contained within the lantern.

ie AA Alkalines for long standby period.

AA nimh's (or Eneloops / Hybrio) for recharging, by means of Solar Cells on top of lantern, or plug in power supply, 12v or mains.

With some safeguard to stop alkalines being put into nimh slots, or have these wired in.

Or substitute the AA nimh with RCR123 lithiums. Same safety systems.

Perhaps it's already available somewhere ?

Alternative 2...

A battery container that takes AA's in one direction, CR123's @ 90 degrees, similar to some chargers.

All one type, non rechargeable, or with built in charger, with safeguards.

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
The one I've found closest to (most of) your specs is the Coast (comes in two sizes; AA and D), and I think it's about good as it gets for a long runtime emergency lantern.
http://www.brightguy.com/manufacturer/coast.php

I personally don't agree with the idea of rechargeable lanterns, simply because, for me, these are emergency lanterns. Adding solar charging, I think, is really complicating a simple operation.

To me, the very definition of "emergency lighting" is that the main power of my house is down which precludes charging anything if needed.

Plus, there is no rechargeable battery that will hold a charge as long as a primary Alkaline or Lithium.
The implication of that is that if you want to keep rechargeables in the Coast (you could), you then would have to "babysit" it every couple of months or so and recharge. Since you can't plan on when you will suddenly need emergency lighting, it's more likely than not that your lantern will not be starting it's service with a full charge if you use rechargeables.

With long-date primaries, all you need to do is to have a couple or three packages on hand and you can forget about them for several years.
Yet, when you NEED those lights, you'll be good to go.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably an upright LED lantern model.

My main thought, how about two separate (switchable) types of batteries contained within the lantern.

well in the old times when I lugged a neon 4D light with blinker etc on camps I wished someone came up with a flashlight that would also have 4AAs or AAAs in separate compartment as backups when the 4Ds went low.

Yor idea is worthwhile with a lantern that has 4Ds and 4AAAs linked in a soler panel as a backup. And indead with natural disasters occuring all the more often I believe it would be market too. The issue is who will make it?

Damn....Kostas

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
well in the old times when I lugged a neon 4D light with blinker etc on camps I wished someone came up with a flashlight that would also have 4AAs or AAAs in separate compartment as backups when the 4Ds went low.

Damn....Kostas

For D cells, a lighter option could be AA's and AA-D adaptors, both as main, and AA's carried as backups.

Gaffle

Enlightened
For a real emergency, you need longevity.

The light cannot break. It would have to tailstand for a real "candel" mode. It must have hours of runtime.

I have to put a shout out for the Mag 4D with the Mag LED drop-in. I mean, 43 hour runtime (to 50%). Nice. Durable body. Take off the reflector and you have a homemade torch that could light up a whole room. It isn't dark all day so if you used this sucker at night you would have days worth of light.