G2

Mustangmoh

Newly Enlightened
i have searched the site but i cannot seem to find the information on how to get a sf g2 to run the p90 or 91 lamp assembly with the rechargable batteries. What do i need to make my g2 run this. It is the older model and already has a glass lens installed. Im a newbie so the simpler the instructions the better.:confused:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming your not talking about a mod...Get a G-3...the G-2 (or 6-P) is a 6-Volt system (2x123's) that will run the P-60 (65 Lumens) and the P-61 (120-Lumens), while the G-3 (or 9-P) is a 9-Volt system (3x123's) that will run the P-90 (105-Lumens) or the P-91 (200-Lumens)...hope this helps...also, the rechargeable conversion kit comes with an "extender", that basically converts a G-2 to a G-3...then you'd be able to run the P-90/P-91 Bulbs...

Mustangmoh

Newly Enlightened
Edited, is my best bet a led drop in module, and is that module as bright as the p60 lamp assembly?

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
click the link in my signature to the li-ion incan guide.

For starters, there is currently no rechargeable configuration that can drive a P91 in a G2, just isn't enough space for cells. No li-ion cell that small can pony up the juice required safely, but you CAN run a P90 and MANY OTHER 9V tactical lamps in your G2 on a pair of decent quality RCR123s. There are also many 3.7V lamp assemblies out there designed to run on a single li-ion cell that is the length of 2xCR123 cells. Read through li-ion incan guide that Rat6P linked to (conveniently, you will also find the link in my signature).

Now.. In the form factor of a G2, there are a lot of LED assemblies that will actually be brighter than any of the rechargeable incandescent options. It's simply a factor of power restrictions, and LEDs have the efficiency to make this size class their territory. However, the G2 doesn't make the greatest platform for an LED conversion because it is made of an insulator, rather than a heat sinking material. So you might start with an incandescent rechargeable conversion on the G2, and later do a LED conversion on an aluminum bodied light.

For future reference, while most 2xCR123 flashlights have some option available to make them rechargeable, many of those options are far from ideal as far as the power source is concerned. In the future, if you think you want rechargeable li-ion, look for lights that support the 18650 cell size.