What's (edited) inside the Terralux 6EX?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
(edited and title edited)
WAIT, I missed a good general thread for mag dropins here --- go there instead for that, it's already in progress!
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2199085

----------------------------------------------------

The link below would be interesting as a look at the guts of the Terralux and improvements thereon, if anyone wants to pursue that particular idea here.

Found an informative dissection here:

http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/terralux.htm

Very nice; his came apart, so he looks inside, finds greatly inefficient design, suggests how they could have done better for a few more pennies in parts.

Just in case anyone besides me was starting to get tempted, looks like waiting is still a good choice for those old M@gs I have lying around with incandescent bulbs still in them.

What's better? The fellow at that link writes:

"... Had TerraLUX spent a few more cents in the design, to greatly increase the converter efficiency, the benefits would have been multifold, reduction in heat produced, more light output, less LED tint shift, longer LED lifetime, longer runtimes .... Like a number of "mass market" designs, there are too many trade-offs for my personal tastes. I'm considering modifying mine ..."

Last edited:

Bob K

Newly Enlightened
Re: What's better for M@g C/D? than, say, Terralux 6EX?

I have the name brand Mag LEDs in three of mine. I can't make any comparisons to TerraLux stuff, but the Mag LEDs are definitely a huge improvement over the stock incandescents.

I was going to purchase TerraLux stuff for my Mags, but the bad reviews drove me away. I haven't had any problems with the Mag LEDs.

IcantC

Enlightened

1 word. Malkoff.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends on what you want the light to do and how many cells you have. For a long running emergency light, the stock Mag LED dropins will do well. They put out a small but usefull amount of light for days. If you want the Mag to be a real screamer, then Malkoff and Elektrolumens are two good options. There are also some custom/mod routes you could take.

donn_

Flashaholic

The Terralux drop-ins were my first LED upgrades for my Mags, and they are a huge improvement for not very much money. I've had no trouble at all with mine.

That said, I'm gradually going to the increased brightness of Malkoffs, Elektro-Lumens and even a couple of privately modded Mags with LED's. My latest are a 3xLED drop-in from Elektro-Lumens, in a 3D Mag, and a 3D I bought from another member, with a P4 and a lovely 5-stage switch, also from Elektro-Lumens. My favorite, so far, is a quad bored 1D with a Malkoff running on a 4-pack of AA Eneloops.

The latest course for Mags is the new BigLeef body/neck/tailswitch system at Lighthound. In addition to being able to string together multiple 1-cell segments holding either Li-Ion C or A123 cells, the system offers necks which will accomodate C or M series Surefire heads, and, you guessed it, the D Mag head.

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened
The link below would be interesting as a look at the guts of the Terralux and improvements thereon, if anyone wants to pursue that particular idea here.

Found an informative dissection here:

http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/terralux.htm

Very nice; his came apart, so he looks inside, finds greatly inefficient design, suggests how they could have done better for a few more pennies in parts.

Thats a very informative article. Any chance you can get him to do a few of those mods? Id be very interested. Theres no way I could do it myself.

Is there any way of contacting the author regarding this mod?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know is what's on that page, just happened on it; perhaps there's contact info there, I don't recall. Or maybe he's here at CPF too, could be. Dunno.