Looking For Aspheric Mag Maker!

djblank87

Enlightened
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a 2D sized or smaller Mag Host with Aspheric lens on the front. As far as what is put in the inside, that is up to you since I do not have the first clue what should be in there.

So again here is what I'm looking for:
1. 2D sized Mag Host or smaller.
2. Aspheric Lens
3. Light source is up to the builder
4. Black color Mag host.

I basically want a Mag that will out throw a Tiablo A9Q5. This light is going to get used and abused nightly. I have contacted a few custom guys on here and they are all pretty busy so I thought I would drop this in a public area and see what happens.

If you have the ability to make a nice Aspheric Mag please PM me or post in here and I will get back to you.

Thanks Guys. :thumbsup:

**Mods If This Is In The Wrong Place, Please Delete It**

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have several C-cell & D-cell sized aspheric mags, using also differing numbers of cells.

since you're asking someone to make one for you, we'll go with a very simple upgrade that you can build yourself from some easily obtainable parts.

these simple upgrades are really very simple to build yourself. on a scale of difficulty from 1 to 10 (with 10 being the most difficult), these are a 1.

haven't compared it side-by-side with the Tiablo model that you mention, but i recently saw some beamshots and the Mag appeared to have greater throw when focused down to a spot. again, not sure of the aspheric Mag's precise configuration/specifications.

here's what you can do to make a simple 2C aspheric Mag light:

1. buy a 2C Maglite from somewhere OnLine or brick-and-mortar - your choice & simple enough to obtain.

2. buy a TerraLux LED upgrade (from MattK, of CPF fame, at BatteryJunction.com, for instance) - TerraLux has at least two types (goin' fr/memory here, so please investigate for yourself; don't take it as "gospel") - a 2-or-3-cell version of a 3W (and a 5W - can't remember), and a 4-to-6-cell version of the same LED upgrade. [going w/LED, though i also have incand Mag upgrades, allows me to NOT need a combo all aluminum heatsink/reflector for these particular aspheric Mags, nor a new switch to handle the current used in this "upgrade" - some consider LEDs ALONE to be a "downgrade" and this is, in one sense (throw, not burntime), true.]. simply remove your original incand bulb and screw in the the LED upgrade.

[NOTE: there is much better performance to be had by going with 3+ cells versus just two cells, but 2C is the smallest and lightest]

3. buy a 52mm (IIRC) PCX/aspheric lens from SurplusShed.com. remove the bezel and lens from the Mag and replace the original lens with the PCX/aspheric lens and tighten it down using the original bezel. [please note that this lens could probably be used with any Mag - stock/original configuration or nearly any upgraded Mag.]

YOU'RE DONE!!!

just used it last night & it still retained the Mag's flood-2-spot focusing ability.

NOT the brightest aspheric Mag that i have, but it's the smallest and lightest.

compared to a P1D-Q5 that i also had with me, the modded-Mag greatly outperformed it (when SPOT-focused) at distances of 200'-250' (~61metres to ~76metres). also, i was using very old, partially drained Duracell 2C alkalline batts also (they were beyond their expiration date by a couple of years!!!), though i'm NOT sure of their actual SOC (state-of-charge). furthermore, the rain yesterday evening scattered some of the light, making the performance less than optimal.

was trying to spot my neighbors' 100lb mixed-breed dog in their fenced in backyard (which i'm taking care of while they're away). no problem spotting it even when his eyes were NOT reflecting any light and it's a dark dog in the midst of some vegetation.

NOT as bright as my 2C (powered AW C-size Li-ion cells) Mag hot-wire with 5Mega 2.5" Throwmaster bezel/reflector/heatsink combo) or a BlackBear Borealis, but it should have much longer burntimes than either of those, i would imagine.

it's a simple to do, relatively inexpensive mod for a Mag. even a klutz like me could do this mod in less than 5minutes. this simple version of an aspheric Mag really does make a difference in the performance of the Mag. call this an "entry-level" Mag mod.

at some point, you may want more power, and then the mods can get a bit more complicated, including "gutting" the Mag host.

hope this info proves useful.

Last edited:

djblank87

Enlightened
Hey Half-Watt,
Thanks for the information, I have a few brand new C-Cell mags sitting around my place, I will have a go at it and build a few myself and see what I get.

I guess I'm mostly concerned with the brightness. I have looked at the TerraLux LED upgrade before and didn't really know what I would get out of it, but since it seems easy to build I will do some ordering here tonight and hopefully get a nice throw monster.

Thanks again Half-Watt. :thumbsup:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Half-Watt,
Thanks for the information, I have a few brand new C-Cell mags sitting around my place, I will have a go at it and build a few myself and see what I get.

I guess I'm mostly concerned with the brightness. I have looked at the TerraLux LED upgrade before and didn't really know what I would get out of it, but since it seems easy to build I will do some ordering here tonight and hopefully get a nice throw monster.

Thanks again Half-Watt. :thumbsup:

again, not the brightest Mag-mod around, but one of the very easiest to do.

"entry-level", it might be called.

if 200'-250' of relatively bright throw is sufficient, then this light will work for you.

retaining the focusing was a plus for walking home with a flood focus setting - i was surprised at how big the flood-focus "spot" was (i know somewhat of an an oxymoron).

you will be able to use the PCX (plano-convex, i.e. flat on one side and convex on the other side - oh, BTW, probably NOT necessary to mention but the convex side faces out/front) lens for other purposes as you build bigger, brighter, and better Mag-mods later on.

the LED alone will be a decent Mag upgrade for use around the house or yard when major throw is NOT a requirement.

so, to my way of thinking, you haven't wasted any money by buying those two upgrade parts. i'm sure that you will find use for them.

if not, an LED upgraded Mag would probably prove to be an intriguing gift to someone who only knows stock/original incand Mags, i.e., someone who isn't currently into flashlights.

have fun!!

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm mostly concerned with the brightness. I have looked at the TerraLux LED upgrade before and didn't really know what I would get out of it

i'm pretty sure that there are 5W upgrades too (unless i'm really losing it to this "old-timers" that i have). i truly believe that i purchased some quite a few months back.

before ordering a 3W, look for a 5W. i will say that the TerraLux upgrades, even lower wattage ones, appeared noticeably brighter side-by-side than some of the competitors' (Mag-Lite included) higher wattage upgrades - i've purchased a bunch in my quest for the brightest Mag LED upgrade available at the time.

there is another TerraLux retailer. i have the link at home and will post back later when i get home (on lunch hour right now). they have even a larger selection than BatteryJunction.com and may have the 5W upgrades available.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe CPF has bought out Surplus Shed's entire stock of suitable aspheric lenses. That's just IIRC.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I you still need to do a little modification to the stock bezel for it to fit properly. Best solution I discovered is a scope lens cover.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a 2D sized or smaller Mag Host with Aspheric lens on the front. As far as what is put in the inside, that is up to you since I do not have the first clue what should be in there.

So again here is what I'm looking for:
1. 2D sized Mag Host or smaller.
2. Aspheric Lens
3. Light source is up to the builder
4. Black color Mag host.

I basically want a Mag that will out throw a Tiablo A9Q5. This light is going to get used and abused nightly. I have contacted a few custom guys on here and they are all pretty busy so I thought I would drop this in a public area and see what happens.

If you have the ability to make a nice Aspheric Mag please PM me or post in here and I will get back to you.

Thanks Guys. :thumbsup:

**Mods If This Is In The Wrong Place, Please Delete It**

Melles Griot has aspheric lens. it's about 30 bucks.
52x 37 i think is slightly better but you must cut down the threads of the bezel so it fits flush.
50x 35 size you have to cut down the reflector for it to fit flush.

djblank87

Enlightened
HalfWatt thanks for all those links :thumbsup: and f22shift thank you also for that information on were to get the lens. Most places seem to be out.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Melles Griot has aspheric lens. it's about 30 bucks.
52x 37 i think is slightly better but you must cut down the threads of the bezel so it fits flush.
50x 35 size you have to cut down the reflector for it to fit flush.

You take out the reflector. Or you can blacken it. But it's totally superfluous for this mod.