Has anyone modified one of the pelican recoil lights?

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just pulled the light module from my 2410 and with slight finger pressure I flexed the edge of the housing and broke the glue seal with no problem. The heat sink slipped right out and there was enough slack in the ribbon to get full access to change the led I guess I will be putting a ssc p4 in it now.:naughty::D
Chris

SIERRA

Newly Enlightened
Hi Chris,

Is it possible to post some pics showing how you opened up the LED unit? :twothumbs

Thanks !!!

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask and ye shall receive.

I put a little pressure on the reflector and it separated from the sink and I pulled it straight up there seemed to be a fair amount of slack on the ribbon but I wouldn't pull too much.
C

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did that with my 2020, but due to some unrelated screwing around, the reflector began to melt. Before that, it was a great mod, better throw and a wider beam, just due to the boosted output (and slightly different LED position).

5kids

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2460 (AA rechargeable version) that I use almost daily for work that I'd like to mod. I've been thinking about how to get to the emitter for an SSC P4 change, and now I see how its done. :naughty: I wanted to see if the black part that the emitter is attached to is plastic or metal, so I scratched a small area and sure enough it's metal underneath, so I guess this all works as the heatsink.

How did you mount the new emitter? Did you have to use an conductive expoy, or does the solder hold it inplace with conductive paste?

I bought 2 of these 2460 lights for work (1 for me and one for another Engineer) and they both failed after about 6 months. I sent them back to Pelican and they replaced both of them with new units.

5kids

Newly Enlightened
I'm just trying to locate some heat sink expoxy..all I have is the grease. I PM'd Christoph and he said he used expoy to attach emitter to the base.

jarris50

Newly Enlightened
I completed this mod about a month ago. I replaced the stock LED with a P4. The overall output is about twice the original. The head does get a little warm but doesn't seem to get to hot. The above photos show the same way I got mine apart. By far this was the easiest mod I've done.

Jarris

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I did one last year and it was quite respectable. I used one of the copper shims (.030") to elevate the Seoul and get focal adjustment on par with the Luxeon based design.