Advice on DIY area/flood light please :o)

Dangerboy

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to build a simple and cheap area light for my garage.
I was thinking of using primary c-cells in battery holders and star-mounted XR-Es- I'm sure I've seen this done somewhere before on here.
Stupid question, but what are the min/max number of batteries I'd need to power 2 XR-E's in series?
Many thanks,
Adam

bluecrow76

Enlightened
If you want it for your garage, you could use Xitanium or other 120V drivers instead of batteries. The number of LEDs and drive current depends on which model you order. I just ordered some smaller ones from Future Electronics. They're on the FedEx truck to be delivered today! Yeah!

Dangerboy

Newly Enlightened
Good idea, but alas, there is no power to the garage, hence the need for battery powered area light.

Thanks anyway though :grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to consider going with 12V SLA instead of alk (I'm guessing) C cells. Just hook up four Crees in series, and it'll DD nicely, at about 220mA.

If you really want to use alks, you'll probably need a driver. Try one of these, with 8C and a pair of Crees, or 12C and three Crees.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built a light for similar purpose.

Plastic box, small 12v SLA battery, reversing light screwed onto box, switch, 12v socket for charging from car charger.

Worked a treat for several years.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Second what they both said. I built a little light on a box (posted about it here) a while back. I used the same driver from Kai and 6V or 12V SLA batteries to run it. It is currently my night light. Nothing fancy but it serves its purpose.

J_C

Enlightened
I'd like to build a simple and cheap area light for my garage.
I was thinking of using primary c-cells in battery holders and star-mounted XR-Es- I'm sure I've seen this done somewhere before on here.
Stupid question, but what are the min/max number of batteries I'd need to power 2 XR-E's in series?
Many thanks,
Adam

It depends on the method you use to drive them (regulator board vs resistor(s)?) and your target output (current they receive).

I happen to have an extracted XR-E curent:voltage graph so I attach it. If using 2 or more LED in series just sum their total forward voltage drop for a bare minimum required voltage (which you'd do towards the end of the battery pack lifespan, the voltage at that end of life to assure you get reasonable runtime from them).

XR-E Forward Voltage vs Current.gif