Shark versus Maxflex

mofiki

Newly Enlightened
I see the new Shark driver with the Remora UI is available now, $50. What I'd like to know is what makes this board worth more than the Maxflex. Which one is better? They both seem to have the same options as far as I can see. The Maxflex's build quality actually looks better. I have a bFlex and the quality is really good. Does anybody know the answer as to why the inflationary price?

acourvil

Enlightened
Can't speak for the maxflex, but this particular item is (1) a shark converter, (2) a separate Remora UI baord, and (3) the labor to assemble and test the two. Basically, I think you are paying for two boards plus $21 labor to put them together. You can also buy them separately for $29 and do the labor yourself, if you have the eyes and the coordination to do it.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the SHARK can do more power, up to 4 Amps, while the Maxflex should be used till 2 A drive current
(means f.e.: 2 Li-Ion cells --> shark = 5-6 leds, MaxFlex = 4 Led)

I had a shark and remora here for quite some time and now finally installed them - and am heavily disappointed: the three levels or not too much of a differnce (for me!), the lowest level is too bright for my sense, the max is just 800 mA to the leds
(triple led with 2 Li-Ion 18650s)
also there is no option to change the levels - a feature I am now used to from my other Flupic-lights. Sure the Shark/Remora never ever proposed to have this, but ...
the remember last setting and ESPECIALLY the switching between levels is as unpredictable and safe, as those drivers from DX and I hate it.
(normally the remember works - something I also hate - but then switching to the levels means turning the driver on and off multiple times, till this function kicks in eventually)
... next multiled will see a taskled driver, just to get a comparison

except from this, the Shark is very rugged and runs totally cool

Last edited:

mofiki

Newly Enlightened
So the option to DIY the Shark & Remora are still on the table and help to reduce the cost. That's good. I couldn't tell by looking at the webpage because I don't think there was mention of it. I like the fact it can power more LED's too because I'm considering throwing all 5 of these new K2s I just got into a Mag. When looking at the two I thought the efficency of the Shark didn't seem as good as the Maxflex, is this because of the higher currents?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to flame the Sandwich Shoppe. I've gotten good service from them. I just want the best bang for the buck.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
the SHARK can do more power, up to 4 Amps, while the Maxflex should be used till 2 A drive current
(means f.e.: 2 Li-Ion cells --> shark = 5-6 leds, MaxFlex = 4 Led)
Actually, Georges recommends not to go higher than 2.6Amps, not only 2 Amps, and even 2.6Amps is a rather conservative rating. We've seen people using the maxflex at 2.8Amps with no problem at all.

I have the MaxFlex and it's really a great deal. You have a perfect UI, easy to use, easy to change settings. Also you have this very usefull feature which is the low voltage warning.

I would advise you to go for the MaxFlex, Georges is a pleasure to deal with and I suspect you will get much better support from him than from some others.

Also, don't forget you have ALL the information you need about the maxflex here including the user manual. Everything is written in a very complehensive manner. I don't think you can find complete and clear information about the shark driver so easily.

Last edited:

acourvil

Enlightened
So the option to DIY the Shark & Remora are still on the table and help to reduce the cost. That's good. I couldn't tell by looking at the webpage because I don't think there was mention of it. I like the fact it can power more LED's too because I'm considering throwing all 5 of these new K2s I just got into a Mag. When looking at the two I thought the efficency of the Shark didn't seem as good as the Maxflex, is this because of the higher currents?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to flame the Sandwich Shoppe. I've gotten good service from them. I just want the best bang for the buck.

To be candid, I think that Wayne listed the pre-assembled Shark/Remora option at my request. I've done a couple of projects with sharks, inc. one with an external pot, but fat-fingered the remora assembly when I tried it. I have a couple of Christmas present projects in the works that I wanted to use the shark/remora combo with, and Wayne was good enought to add the pre-assembled package to the options. This was a outstanding response to a customer request, not Wayne trying to increase prices or anything like that.

BTW, he also posted some tips on assembling the shark/remora recently for anyone that wants to do it themself.

spencer

Enlightened
A bump to an old thread. With newer versions of both drivers (Blue Shark and Maxflex 5) this thread is outdated. Input current is increased on both.

I don't like the lack of a really low mode for the Shark.

My application would drive 4 SSC P4's from a 3.7v nominal source. I believe the Shark is better suited but again with the low mode. Let me know more of your thoughts.

Latest posts