Fenix T1 first impressions

NickDrak

Enlightened
Okay, heres my initial impressions of the new Fenix T1....

Mine showed up today that I ordered from Fenix-Store.com. Serial # US233940. The overall feel of this light is excellent. Very solid and nicely machined. The stainless steel bezel ring is a nice addition in my opinion, as it should naturally cause the light to drop onto the bezel end due to the extra weight of the ring, and I dont think much, if any damage will occur to the lamp assembly if dropped due to the steel ring.

The anodizing on the light is good & bad. The anodizing on the tailcap and battery tube is outstanding, and appears to be equal or superior to Surefire HA finish. However, the anodizing on the bezel is much lighter then the rest of the light, but also appears to be excellent. The anodizing on the section between the bezel and the battery tube where the serial # & the pocket clip is attached, looks poorly applied with several imperfections. This does not concern me at all, but it may concern you.

The checkering on the tube looks nicely & cleanly cut, but the checkering
offers absolutely zero extra gripping benefit, and might as well be smooth. The checkering should be much more aggresive for this lights intended "tactical" usage.

The only other issue so far is the way you adjust the output of the light. You merely have to turn the bezel a few millimeters to switch from high to low (225 high/60 low emitter rating), but it is very awkward to do this function. It must be done with both hands, and the pocket clip is integral with the bezel, so when you turn the bezel to adjust the output, the stainless steel pocket clip rubs on the aluminum battery tube. If the pocket clip was integral to the battery tube instead, this would iliminate this issue. Im suprised that Fenix didnt go this route instead, as im sure they will get alot of complaints about this feature.

The tailcap seems very positive in its operation: Momentary on, Click constant ON, Click OFF. This is all I need and want on any of my duty lights. I couldnt care less about having a strobe feature along with 500 other levels that I will never use. I am not crazy about its "Impact" style design, but it doesnt affect its function at all, so it is a non-factor for me. However, what the hell is up with the ORANGE tailcap button??? Looks odd to me, and it is "glow-in-the-dark" which doesnt make any sense on a "Tactical" light, as I dont want anyone being able to potentially locate me in the dark by means of a glowing tailcap on my flashlight
noway.gif
And they even throw in an extra GITD orange button cover. Just give me a plain black button and be done with it please???

As far as output goes....

This light is super bright. Compared to my 3xCR123 Surefire "Frankenlight" made up of a C3 Centurion body, M2 bezel, SW02 tailcap, and a Malkoff M60 (Q2) drop-in module, the Fenix T1 appears to be noticeably brighter. I would estimate that the T1 is putting atleast 150 true "Out-the-front" lumens on "Turbo", and probably closer to 170. Yes, this light is REALLY bright! On low or "General" I would say it is putting out about 45-50 "Out-The-Front" lumens. It comes with a OP reflector and not the smooth reflector shown in the original pictures of the T1. I am glad it came with the OP instead of the smooth reflector, as it likely puts out more "useful" light for its intended purpose.

Aside from the quirky output adjustment, and the GITD tailcap, I am impressed with Fenix's first real entry into the "Tactical" light market.

Sorry, no pictures as my digital camera has taken a dump, but I hope my review has been of some assistance to those considering this new light from Fenix.

Stay safe,
Nick

Last edited:

NickDrak

Enlightened
I gently pulled the pocket clip away from the body (about 1mm) and it seems to be staying put, and it no longer rubs on the tube.
:party:

I feel the Fenix T1 is a good alternative to a Surefire 6PL, considering the price point of each, and the much brighter output of the T1 along with the included clicky tailcap of the T1 which I prefer as long as it has the momentary function as well. A SF Z48 clicky tailcap will cost you an extra $30-$35 on top of the 6PL which puts the total of the SF at around $100.00

The T1 clearly outperforms the 6PL in output, and it has the additional low "General" mode. Only time will tell if the T1 is up to the challenge of daily patrol/duty use that Surefire has already proven itself nearly perfect with.

R.I.P. "EVEL KNIEVEL"

Last edited:

wishywashy7

Enlightened
However, what the hell is up with the ORANGE tailcap button??? Just give me a plain black button and be done with it please???

On low or "General" I would say it is putting out about 45-50 "Out-The-Front" lumens.

I agree with the orange button. The spare was also ORANGE!:ironic:

don't you just wish the low mode was just a bit lower? I still feel it is too bright, but that's just me:confused:

sed6

Enlightened
Great info Nick!

I'm going to wait for those concerns to be addressed before I pick one up. My P3D Q5 is serving me well for now.

-Scott
OKC, OK

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! This think seems to be built like an M1A1 tank, I was wondering about the heat management. I'm using my P1 more with the onset of colder wither. Anyway the T1 could be my last light for 2007.

chiphead

davidra

Enlightened
I got two that arrived yesterday, used both outdoors last night. They are very nice lights. The finish is not quite up to Surefire HA-III but seems like it will do quite well. It remains fairly slippery like every other Fenix light ever made and in rain and fog, where I'll be using it, that can be a downer. More aggressive knurling would be appropriate on this light. The brightness is pretty similar between the two, but one clearly has a warmer tint than the other on a wall across the room and might be just a tad less bright. On the ceiling they look identical. Outdoors not much difference between them at all. My major disappointment is that I expected a smooth reflector because I need this light to throw as far as possible for picking up channel markers in the dark. While I didn't expect it to throw like a WF-600 because of the smaller reflector, I hoped it would come close. It doesn't. Still throws very well, and has more useful spill than the Cree Projection/WF-600 DX lights. I'd love to see if changing the reflector would make any difference in the throw. Likely not, but I'd probably give it a try because any throw improvement would help my specific usage.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens has stated that his store now generally only orders the OP reflectors. This makes sense given the complaints here about the then new XRE CREES that they had a kind of dark ring with the SMO reflectors.

I remember agonizing over this issue when I ordered my Lumapower M1 with the XRE CREE, and eventually decided on the OP reflector. I haven't looked back since, it was the right choice since it still has a great throw but also has a smooth clean beam for when you are using it indoors.

(actually you could buy both and change them whenever you wanted with the M1, though I believe this is not possible with the T1? Haven't gotten my T1 yet so I cannot say for sure).

At least from the specs, the T1 says it has a very long throw because of its special (and new for Fenix) big reflector, this should be perhaps a more important factor than whether the reflector is OP or SMO.

BigD64

Enlightened
First it was a little bigger than I anticipated. I was thinking it would be something SF L4 sized, It's more like a 6P on steroids. That being said Fenix has another good light on their hands. Fit and finish are great, WOW factor is incredible. Throw is similar to my Lumapower CREE MRV (non-Q5) even with the smaller reflector. The only issue I see is the clip rubbing against the body when rotating bezel or unscrewing the head. Eventually you will have a wear spot worn onto the body. The second one I purchased for a friend and has to be RMA'ed. There is an issue with the tailcap. I suspect I could have steel wooled the HA finish off the threads to fix it but don't want to do that to a new light. All in all once I'm sure it's reliable. It will replace my L4 on my gunbelt.

I disagree slightly with Nick on the HA I think it's slightly inferior to SF's finish but still well done and +1 for the silly tailcap button.

Last edited:

davidra

Enlightened
At least from the specs, the T1 says it has a very long throw because of its special (and new for Fenix) big reflector, this should be perhaps a more important factor than whether the reflector is OP or SMO.

Compared to other Fenix lights, that's true; the reflector is bigger. Compared to a DX WF-600, which costs less than half as much and has an even bigger reflector, it gets it's doors blown off. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it; it's a much more sturdy light than any DX light, but it doesn't compare in terms of throw, and I had hoped it would.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one of these.
I would like to see the size compared to a Gladius.

I want to carry it on a duty belt and the clip may be a deal breaker. I may end up upgrading my Gladius.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
This is my first Fenix light and I'm impressed with the output and solid feel but the HA III has hairline cracks in it. They're not noticeable unless looking close but still a bummer on a $70 + light. Anyone else seeing this on their lights?

bspofford

Enlightened
Just wanted to say my serial number is also US233940. Is anyone else's number the same?

My unique serial number is US233940, so you two guys must have copies! I ordered three, and now I have to figure out which of mine is the real Fenix. :devil:

BigD64

Enlightened
Mine is the same also But it may be a patent # not a serial number.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
the numbers are not serial numbers, they indicate the dealer country, the first two letters indicate the country. there was a previous thread on this when the P3D Q5 first came out.

we were able to point out US - United States, SG Singapore, FR France etc.:crackup: