TerraLux TLE-6EX MiniStar5

LarryC

Newly Enlightened
I bought a TLE-6EX MiniStar5. I put it in my 6D cell Mag-lite. Initially on power up it was very bright. But, when I began rotating the bezel to adjust the beam the light went very dim. I checked my batteries with an ohm meter and they are good. There is a burnt electronic smell coming from the unit. Would it make any difference that I have a metal reflector in the Mag-lite? Could the reflector have shorted the unit? Anybody else using one with a metal reflector?:(

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened
My experience with mag compatible reflectors is that there are two styles. The Camless(normal bowl shape) and the cammed which allows the 1/2 turn focusing. The camless design is used primarily in high output incan applications, and usually is of a smaller diameter for the purpose of greater throw. Depending on the drop-in, you may have either clearance issues or heat-disapation issues. More info please.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a TLE-6EX MiniStar5. I put it in my 6D cell Mag-lite. Initially on power up it was very bright. But, when I began rotating the bezel to adjust the beam the light went very dim. I checked my batteries with an ohm meter and they are good. There is a burnt electronic smell coming from the unit. Would it make any difference that I have a metal reflector in the Mag-lite? Could the reflector have shorted the unit? Anybody else using one with a metal reflector?:(

"burnt electronic smell"...

as Robin would have said to Batman in the 60's TV show,...

"Smoldering Semiconductors Batman, it's a short".

now, not bein' able to smell what you're smellin' i could be wrong (and in this case, for your sake, i sure would like to be), but...

that telltale odor is tellin' a tale, and the tale that it be tellin' is that the 'tronics could be totally toast - not a happy tale to be told, neither a tall tale told, but a truthful tale, so sad.

[sorry, stuck on 3rd shift this week, and only 3hr sleep the last two nights, plus out Friday eve, and now my body thinks i should be gettin' up for work when, in fact, it's the weekend and i'm not workin' on Saturday.]

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using the TLE-6EX in my 2D, 4D, 6D and 6C Mags with fivemega's cammed alloy reflectors for almost a year with no problems.

Are you using alkaline cells or rechargeables in you 6D setup? The TLE-6EX was only designed with standard alkalines in mind, not rechargeables.

Its common knowledge that the heatsinking properties of the standard maglite is a joke, and the fact that you're running at the maximum recommended 6 cell configuration into the TLE-6EX could mean that the electronics are cooking under the load of 6 cells.

Return the TLE-6EX to your point of purchase and see if you can get an exchange or refund.

LarryC

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,

I have a cammed reflector in the light. Don't remember exactly who made it as I have several aluminum reflectors in several lights. Alkaline batteries not rechargeable. Didn't even have it on long enough for heat to be an issue. It is so dim now that it will not even throw a beam across the room. Guess I will send it back to the seller for a replacement. Thanks!

LarryC

Newly Enlightened
Jennifer from Terralux Corp advised in an email that it should work fine with metal or plastic reflector. Probably was just a defective unit. I sent it back to the seller for a replacement.

roymail

Enlightened
Let us know the outcome... I'd like to know about Terralux customer service. Thanks. Not sure about their products. I've heard both good and bad.