New Surefire L1 Cree.. improvements over older L1 is amazing!

cy

Flashaholic
Just received a new Surefire L1 Cree.
Improvements over older L1 is amazing!

besides lumens increase going to Cree. this light has been redesigned end to end. could be wrong, but seems two stage tailcap is the only part in common.

a new stainless steel contact ring, similar to A2 is now added. don't have first gen L1 to compare to, but seems more compact.

common mod for first gen L1 was to replace optic with reflector. that's no longer the case, as L1 cree's optic is simply amazing!

performance is similar to a reflector. was real surprised to find an optic with a beam this nice.

Quality of HA finish is typical Surefire or of highest quality. Knurling is aggressive and reminds you of a military grade tool.

don't know if you are suppose to... but running R123 li-ion cell with no problems. lanyard ring really gets in the way. pita to remove.

one of the best new lights I've handled!

here's a pic next to ti PD and Titan for size comps..

l1cree.JPG

l1cree2.JPG

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1st gen. coming to me. I've always wanted one but never bought one. I got a deal I couldn't pass up and am very excited to see what everyone has been talking about. I'll eventually end up getting a Gen 6 if I like this one.
Anyone have beamshot comparisons between the 1st and 6th gens?

Any other noticable improvements?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yep, it's a great light. You'll also fine that the light coming out the front is a bit deceiving, meaning you think it's mostly hot-spot, however it actually lights as much as similar reflector lights. Now you need to drop a tritium vial in that space on the clip where a lanyard would attach to complete it.

cy

Flashaholic
here's a pic showing how L1 lanyard comes apart. a real pita if you don't know how it clips together.

l1lanyard.JPG

cy

Flashaholic
what a great idea!

tritium added.... had another E1E clip w/tritium tube on a TW4. they are identical in size to new L1. swapped right across.. Mut did this tritium tube long ago.

l1cree3.JPG

l1cree4.JPG

Yep, it's a great light. You'll also fine that the light coming out the front is a bit deceiving, meaning you think it's mostly hot-spot, however it actually lights as much as similar reflector lights. Now you need to drop a tritium vial in that space on the clip where a lanyard would attach to complete it.

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smaller, single cell, 2 stage, higher output.....should get one. Used to have the previous version.......I would definitely get one if rechartgeables can be used safely...

cy

Flashaholic
now that I've figured out how to remove lanyard ring easily from L1.
here's L1 cree fully configured with Lanyard and Ripoff holster.

between new L1 and Titan...have not had this much fun playing with new lights for quite some time :D

jumpstat, using R123 li-ion with no problems.. would be real surprised if Surefire didn't include li-ion support. to help light survive if nothing else. Surefire is well aware of possibility of folks sticking in a R123 li-ion cell.

l1cree5.JPG

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy,
Good to hear that R123s are ok. I intend to get one BTW is the beam pattern smooth? The previous gen is smooth but squarish...

cy

Flashaholic
here's beamshot of new L1 cree... looks sooo good, thought it came with a reflector. nice white tint too... leaning cold like I like it...

bsl1cree.JPG

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received a new Surefire L1 Cree.
Improvements over older L1 is amazing!

besides lumens increase going to Cree. this light has been redesigned end to end. could be wrong, but seems two stage tailcap is the only part in common.

a new stainless steel contact ring, similar to A2 is now added. don't have first gen L1 to compare to, but seems more compact.

common mod for first gen L1 was to replace optic with reflector. that's no longer the case, as L1 cree's optic is simply amazing!

performance is similar to a reflector. was real surprised to find an optic with a beam this nice.

Quality of HA finish is typical Surefire or of highest quality. Knurling is aggressive and reminds you of a military grade tool.

don't know if you are suppose to... but running R123 li-ion cell with no problems. lanyard ring really gets in the way. pita to remove.

one of the best new lights I've handled!

here's a pic next to ti PD and Titan for size comps..

l1cree.JPG

l1cree2.JPG
I agree!! The new L1 replaced all my previous EDCs.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
here's beamshot of new L1 cree... looks sooo good, thought it came with a reflector. nice white tint too... leaning cold like I like it...

bsl1cree.JPG

Is your lens much frosted? My 1st L1 that went to SF for repair had a frosted lense and a nice beam pattern. The one I received in replacement has almost no frosting, it looks clear from distance. There is a yellow/green ring on the outermost edge of the spill and the hotspot has a strange shape with a smaller round brighter spot inside. It looks ugly on a white wall but I'm now used to it and I don't notice these "defects" at all!

Nice purchace, it's really a nice light!

Djren12

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on the L1just got one myself after the devistating loss of my E1L.what exactly is a tritium vail and what is its function? Yes I am a Newbie sorry.

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf Djren12 and hold on to your wallet!!!

tritium tube contains a tiny amount of radioactive gas that emits a small amount of light until it's half life expires.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

lens/optics on my L1 cree is perfectly clear.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yep, the new SF optic for the Cree is amazing. It has the perfect balance of a generous spot and some spill ... perfect field of vision in medium distance despite the relatively low power in comparison to brightzer 2-cell lights.

The E2L and the L1 are a real homerun IMHO.

bk

Numbers

Enlightened
I cant resist any longer will order the L1 on Monday, for EDC, and the KX2 bezel when available. Till now I have been a fan of two cell lights but I converted my existing E2L (non cree) to an E1L that I use around the house at night (with beam shaper) to kill left over cells one by one. I like it because all of my good lights, including L4 and G2L still get USED for specific purposes and none are shelf queens. My lesser lights are loaners or are used for very dirty jobs - if they are up to the task. Going forward I will be in trouble because I will be replacing good lights with updated versions - when the new L4 and L2 come out - what to do with the old ones or am I being converted to single cell lights only... Anyway its fun.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
l1cree4.JPG

Ok, now I am intrigued by the whole tritium vial in the clip deal. How is it held in place? Epoxy of some sort? :)

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
By coincidence, I happened to get mine today too :D
Nice idea with the H3 vial, cy.

gunga

Flashaholic
For fitting RCR123s,

my powerizers (unprotected) fit but my ultrafire (unprotected) and AWs (Proctected) don't fit.

I just dunno if i's a good idea due to the higher voltage...

I'vre read a few threads already and I'm stil not sure.

:ohgeez: