B&M IXON upgrade?

mimis

Newly Enlightened
ok, i know this headlight isn't that popular around here-except in central europe, mostly germany- but since i own one i'd like any possible input on potential upgrades. It's not B&M's latest IQ Speed model, it's their 2006 light, the light output is quite insignificant by this forum's standards, but it's a robust and quality item certainly upgrade worthy. So, what kind of led emitter could replace the existing and how feasible is tinkering the job?
:confused: thanks!

Szemhazai

Enlightened
That's not a problem - almost ;). You have only to crack the head and replace Luxeon star by SSC P4 Star.
ixondp3.jpg

mimis

Newly Enlightened
thanks, szemhazai, i think i'll give it a try. Isn't it IQ speed opened up in the photo or it's exactly the same process?

mimis

Newly Enlightened
That's not a problem - almost ;). You have only to crack the head and replace Luxeon star by SSC P4 Star.
ixondp3.jpg
Szemhazai, sorry to dig this out from history. After receiving the SSC P4 you've suggested, I've tried to open the damn thing in any possible way but every effort in vein. I've sent a mail to B&M asking for help and their answer was to not attempt any further as the front lid with the optics is sealed off. So, what kind of spell did you cast on cracking it open?
thanks again master!

Arapiles

Newly Enlightened
Szemhazai, sorry to dig this out from history. QUOTE]

Ditto, sorry to dig this thread up again - but this was the only thread I could find relating to my light: I have an Ixon (i.e., not Ixon IQ, not Ixon Speed nor Ixon IQ Speed) which fell off my bike and stopped working. The batteries were OK and I couldn't see any loose connections in the back but I could hear bits rattling around in the sealed head/reflector area so took a punt and cracked it open on the theory that it might be a quick fix. No such luck - the rattle was from some loose bits of plastic but were not the problem. There's nothing obvious in the electronics to suggest why it's not working. So, two questions:

- can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

- presuming I can get it working could I fit a P7 like the P4 mod above?

- if the electronics are kaput, can anyone suggest a suitable alternative?

I like the reflector so like the idea of the same pattern but a brighter light.

Apologies for all the questions, my first post so obvious noobie questions.

Edit: actually that was three questions.

:)

Last edited:

Latest posts