Anyone have the Victornox Rescue Tool yet?

o0o

Enlightened
Just a thought.... usually we use really big tools to perform a rescue. I prefer Hurst.

Good point.

To me, this is an EDC... something small enough to carry yet has a nice range of tools-- a normal civilian doesn't own the big tools.

Question: Anyone know how the seatbelt cutter works? Is there a method to using it?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought one yet, though it is only a matter of time before I break down and get one.

As for the seatbelt cutter, most any blade works as a seatbelt cutter. It is just usually safer to those involved if you use something without a pointy end. The serrations and curve of the blade work decently in Victorinox seatbelt cutters though. I have used the seatbelt cutter on the Fireman model before (on an actual seatbelt) and it worked just fine.

I'm more interested in how well the auto glass cutter works. I've never done that before, not sure if I'll ever need to either.

o0o

Enlightened
I haven't bought one yet, though it is only a matter of time before I break down and get one.

As for the seatbelt cutter, most any blade works as a seatbelt cutter. It is just usually safer to those involved if you use something without a pointy end. The serrations and curve of the blade work decently in Victorinox seatbelt cutters though. I have used the seatbelt cutter on the Fireman model before (on an actual seatbelt) and it worked just fine.

I'm more interested in how well the auto glass cutter works. I've never done that before, not sure if I'll ever need to either.

Yep, I'm curious about that tool.

Is it just a punch that breaks the glass? Or does it actually cut it?

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I'm curious about that tool.

Is it just a punch that breaks the glass? Or does it actually cut it?

There is a punch AND a glass-cutting saw.

The saw is user-replaceable.

I keep it in the car.

I haven't actually had to break or cut any windshields with it yet, fortunately.

o0o

Enlightened
There is a punch AND a glass-cutting saw.

The saw is user-replaceable.

I keep it in the car.

I haven't actually had to break or cut any windshields with it yet, fortunately.

What does user-replaceable mean?

Is not not attached to the multi-tool out of the box? Does the user have to remove another part to make room for this part? Or is it already attached out of the box?

o0o

Enlightened
My SAK Rescue Tool came in the mail today, and I really like it. Highly recommended.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I have one too. It just arrived the other day. I will be leaving it in my truck.

Marduke

Flashaholic
What does user-replaceable mean?

Is not not attached to the multi-tool out of the box? Does the user have to remove another part to make room for this part? Or is it already attached out of the box?

If it wears out, you can pop out that blade and pop in a new one.

SpikeDad

Newly Enlightened
I've had it for a while. Very fine tool - top of the line quality. Their website has several videos showing how the tool works. It is primarily designed as an EDC for fire and rescue folks. It's designed to be removed from the case and opened with heavy gloves.

It's not a multi-tool - its in a pocket knife format. The blades swing out of the casing like a pocket knife.

It has a:

Serrated knive - very large open assist cutout to open with heavy gloves. Seatbelt cutter - reverse serrated with a blunt end and curved to catch belt and cut.
Window glass saw - saw-like blade with sharp end. Designed to puncture and cut laminated glass (windshield). Used with 2 hands.
Window break - heavy, blunt point at end for cracking safety glass. Always exposed at end of handle.
Pry blade - heavy duty flat screwdriver used for prying, etc. Also has bottle opener.

The glass saw and the window break are replaceable if they wear out. The manual shows how to do it - it's easy and is done by pushing on the blades at 90 degrees which slips them out of the handle. They are very firm and could never come out accidentally..

plus other standard Victorinox items like toothpick, tweezers, awl, phillips screwdriver.

It comes in a high-quality, cloth case (red) with high quality velcro which closes firmly and is easy to open. Also has a very wide belt loop for those large duty belts. The knife also has a long cord loop making it easy to pull out of the holster with gloves and by touch.

Another cool feature is the GITD handles. With a short charge, they glow very brightly yellow for a long time.

A very nice tool which would serve folks that need rescue tools at the ready. I keep mine close by in the car.

Be aware there are two models - 8623N has a standard blade and 8623MN has the easy open blade with the large assist cutout. This is the one I have - I guess the plain blade would be for folks that wouldn't be using gloves (whoever that would be?)