Polymer Optics?

Eddy

Newly Enlightened
I have some for the phillips part. Have not made the light yet. It will be primative looking. A bent copper pipe with the heat sink pad soldered to it. Wires soldered to the contacts sliced between LEDs so ech one can be aimed independantly. I cot them from Future fair price clean transaction.

Brum

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried these;
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut184
They look interesting but have never seen a light done with these.
Any thoughts?

Eric S
Expensive, but they do look nice and small. If you're building a large (number of emitters) array, these would probably work very well.
The LEDIL CRS are also very nice, but will be bigger.

One drawback I can think of: integrating it in a housing: you'd need hexagonal tubing... Would look very, very cool though! :cool:

MtLuke

Newly Enlightened
The one thing I like about these is they're compact.
I don't think you'd be limited to hexagonal tubing, I think it would fit fine in a normal housing. There would be some gaps around the collimator though, but who cares.
I'm just a bit concerned about the beam pattern and the amount of light thrown out front. They seem to be pretty efficient- >85%.

Eric S

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
The beam is not so nice. In other words: ugly.

Although the beam is relatively tight (10-12 degrees FWHM), the hotspot brightness is about one-third of the "official" Cree 8 degree optics.

SemiMan

Banned
Have been getting them from Future for years in this form or another. They are not too bad for a small optic. The spots tend to be splotchy if you get too close, but not too bad at a distance. If you are getting a square spot, you are likely not using the right optic for the right LED as your focus is wrong. You should get a fairly good round spot.

Semiman

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
My picture shows the 6 degree XR-E specific hex-optics on an XR-E (170 lens/147 holder)

Now I recognized that the first post links to Cutter and shows part no 124/147.
147 is the holder for Cree. That is ok.
But part no. 124 is a 25 degrees optics for a Luxeon style lambertian led. (Lux I, Lux III, old Cree (pre-XR-E) or maybe SSC)

I don't know why it is mixed, because 25 degrees optics for XR-E is part no 171? Maybe cutter should be more specific, they are mentioning only Cree leds and not Cree XR-E.

I'm using the 7-led cluster optics on SSC P4 leds and the spot is really nice and round. This is not the case for the XR-E version (There is no 7-led-cluster version for XR-E, I should use individual optics for it)

Last edited:

jmodic

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of any other distributor (beside Cutter) of those Polymer Optics hexagonal lenses. I would like to find a place where I can order just a few pieces, not a whole truck of lenses. :candle:

I'm particulary interested in their Seoul lenses - their part numbers 120, 124 and 155.

Thanx for any information.

jmodic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but they don't seem to have any Polymer Optics parts for SSC (nor for Cree, for that matter). Does anyone know if the lense holder for Luxeon leds (par no. 151) will fit on SSC Z-power P4 emitter without any major effect on the quality of output? It seems that lenses (part no. 120, 124) are the same for both kind of emitters, I'm just not sure about the holder (151 versus 155).

Any other pointers?

Martin

Enlightened
Does anyone know of any other distributor (beside Cutter) of those Polymer Optics hexagonal lenses. I would like to find a place where I can order just a few pieces, not a whole truck of lenses. :candle:

I'm particulary interested in their Seoul lenses - their part numbers 120, 124 and 155.

Thanx for any information.
This one German shop. Will ship abroad.

Martin

Enlightened
@ msxtr: Talk to them, say you don't need it insured, they can just send as a letter (this will work up to 50mm thickness)