Want to upgrade my headlights?

Deep6Osama

Enlightened
I would like to upgrade my headlights. I am currently running Silverstar's and want to upgrade to Silverstar Ultra or Hella Xenon. The guy at advance wants me to buy the Hella. Are the silverstar ultra's that much brighter than the regular silverstar's. Both the Hella's and ultra's are DOT compliant. Which one would you spend your money on?

steed77

Newly Enlightened
If you want to do it right, your going to want to do retro-mod; Meaning installing an HID projector set up into your existing housings.

Think Aucra TSX or Honda S2000 projectors fitted in your car.

few sites to check out
www.hidplanet.com

www.customlightz.com

Good luck! :twothumbs

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use the search feature, keep you reading for awhile.

I wouldn't spend my money on ANY whiz-bang bulb. The Silverstars you have now are actually downgrades from a stock bulb; Silverstar Ultras are no better. I'm not familiar with the Hella Xenons you mention, but if they're both legal wattage and have a color coating of any kind, then they're a downgrade as well. If you want to see better, go with big wires and relays to cut voltage drop, and aim your headlights. Depending on your beam pattern and headlight housing, over-wattage bulbs MIGHT be okay to use, with proper wiring.

Daniel Stern Lighting

:buddies:

Deep6Osama

Enlightened
From personal experience I have found the Silverstars are brighter than stock bulbs. If sylvania advertises the silverstar ultra to be brighter than the stock silverstar I imagine that it would be true. False advertising can be a real bummer for major corporations. As for the Hella's they are not HID so they must be dimmer than stock bulbs.

I probably should have said in me first post that I did not want to create warrany issues with my vehicle or creat a liability problem.

Has anyone tried xenon headlights aposed to halogen headlights?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There is plenty of false advertising in the lighting biz...assuming it's true just 'cause you read it on the package (or saw it on TV or read it on the internet, etc.) is a good way to set you up for wasting a lot of money. The silver star bulbs put out less light, not more than a standard bulb. Same goes for all of the so-called "whiter light" bulbs, they all use a colored glass to change the light color. This makes it dimmer because the filter absorbs (blocks) some of the light that would otherwise exit the headlamp and project forward to light things up for you. The "improvement" from these tinted bulbs is an optical illusion.

Putting an "HID kit" (Xenon burners) into halogen headlamps is a very bad idea. It's illegal and dangerous. See here for details.

Someone here might be able to make specific recommendations if you were to say what kind of vehicle you're trying to upgrade...in the meantime, you should read this thread.

Last edited:

Led-Ed

Enlightened
If you use an H7, The Osram Hyper 65W bulb puts out 2100 lumens compared to about 1500 for the 55 watt stock (legal)bulb.No useless coating and real Improvement.
For High beams, If you use the 9005-you can use a 9011HIR which is MUCH brighter for the same wattage.