Desire To Make Flashlight

lightemittingharry

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody here have a desire to make and manufacture their own flashlights?

I'm working on a design (just for fun) for a police flashlight that has two LED bulbs. One for shining/blinding and one for reading and general use. It has a crenelated bezel on the front for defense, two momentary on/off buttons (one small button for the nichia; one large button for the luxeon), and it has a long body which is made out of type II/III aluminum so it can be used like a baton. It would require 4 C batteries and two watch batteries to light the red indicator light in the tail cap.

And of course it would be submersible, have a regulator circuit, be shock proof (with internal foam padding to hold the components in place), be resistant to heat/cold, have a shatter proof lens, and have a rubber grip around the body for better holding.

Oh and it would have an anti-roll design around the head...:sick2:

Tachikoma

Enlightened
First :welcome:
There's a dedicated section in this forum called "Custom & Modified" where you can ask that sort of things, BTW I'd rather use a Cree with digital regulation to achieve dual output instead of an old Luxeon and an additional small LED :cool:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have always wished to own a lathe with various tools and especially after watching some of our more talented members turn out some awesome lights. No way do I have the skill required to come close however it would be fun to try.

I actually came close to buying a basic lathe however after reading some of the older posts telling of the many hurdles in competing with the many other talented companies I chickened out.

I think for many of us it would be done more for fun rather than for profit. It is hard to compete these days with some of the powerhouse players.

lightemittingharry

Newly Enlightened
I agree it is extremely competitive. I doubt I would be successful (if I pursued my little desire) but I haven't really found a light to my satisfaction. I need something that's balanced.:cool:

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: You sound like you might like the new light that is in the cpf marketplace, I would love to start a production light company and/or a custom light company, but they take huge financial backing as well as access to machinery. Your light sounds like a good idea, but I think the same general multi level idea is built into a lot of new lights, with the added bonus of regulation.

lightemittingharry

Newly Enlightened

Having thought about it for a while, I think it's dumb to have a flashlight that you can't keep handy. So here is the single AA version.