Whats up Hotwire guys? Now help please.

Dr.K

Enlightened
I wanna get an incan. I wanna use Li-ion. I got some questions.

Can I take the LED ring out of my A2 and use rechargeables just on the incan without hurting anything? Still get incan regulation?

I read a master disscussion rechargeable compatability, and am even more lost on good li-ion technology in incan use.

Please recommemd something to put either 1,2, 3, or 4 Rcr123s in.

or something for 1 or 2 18650s

Lego maybe?

Brighter than the A2. Doesn't have to be by much, Just some good ideas that you are sure will work.

No, High tech modding please. just plug and play. :cool: thanks.

mdocod

Flashaholic
the simplest no hassle solution is just to buy a Wolf-Eyes light. They are already set up for use with 18650 cells, and east to obtain in full kits that include everything you need.

here's a $100 light that includes everything you need to get rolling on a rechargeable li-ion powered light.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-4-13-6036

If you want brighter, drop in a EO-9 bulb.

If you don't mind a larger light, I highly recommend the M90.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/category.aspx?uid=1-20-40
the standard 9V kits are good and you can upgrade to a LumensFactory EO-9L D36 which is darned bright. If you don't mind a hair longer, a 13V M90 configuration (either 3x18650, or a more reasonably sized 3x18500 model) can run the EO-13 D36, even brighter...

If you don't mind spending some more cash, you can build up a "SureFire" lego system. The trick here is getting ahold of one of the 18mm compatible leefbody lights, available through lighthound, most are out of stock as of lately, but if you are patient and keep and eye there or keep an eye in the BST section of the forums you may be able to score one. The SF system is nice because you have more lego options for tailcaps, bezels, turbo bezel upgrades, etc. Ideally a 2x18650 C-C leefbody running either a P91 or EO-9 lamp is a good setup, or slap a KT2 on it and run either a MN16 or a EO-M3T.

Bleh... I'm practically rambling at this point.. there are quite a few ways to go about it... You can even just take a stock SF light like the 9P and drop in a pair of 17500s. The capacity of the 17mm cells isn't as good, but it makes plug-n-play with SF lights easier.

Dr.K

Enlightened
Thanks mdocod,

I was actually hoping you would answer this thread.

I have researched your chart, and I was thinking of a 2x 18650 leef body with a head and tail from a 6p, with a p91 bulb kit.

The only thing is that these are out of stock at lighthound.
Is there any other 18650 x 2 CxC bodies out there?

I really wanna use the 18650s b/c they are already here, as well as the 6p.

mdocod

Flashaholic
18650s are the way to go for tactical diameter bodies.. I like their energy density.

The other option requires some MINOR modification that I think you can handle...

You get a Wolf-Eyes 6AX
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-3-6-6017
then install a M90 13V 168 extender on it:
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-20-40-87-6271

the only modification required that I am aware of here, is that you need to install a metal ring of sorts between the extender and the main flashlight body to fill a small gap to complete electrical connection. There are some key-rings that fit great, you can also take a piece of bare solid copper wire (like 16 gage or so), loop it into a circle and install it. It's a simple modification with no fancy tools or understanding required, all you need to know is that while the threads of the 2 components do fit, the spacing of the overlap does not, so you just need to complete the electrical path with something.

The 6AX head will support D26 lamps, like the P91. and with the extender it becomes a 2x18650 light.

Another option is that you could buy 2 extenders for you 6P, and bring the extenders and your 6P body to a machine shop and pay to have them bored to ~18.5mm.

donn_

Flashaholic
I'd keep looking at the Leef stuff. The new BigLeef system, in stock at the Hound, is really nice stuff. Look for the thread on B/S/T. Also, Leef just announced a fresh batch of 18650 bodies going out for plating.

abinok

Newly Enlightened
When I wanted a 2X18650 witha P91 on top, I went this route.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4314

Im running it on a pair of AW protected 18650s, and it is super bright, and super cheap. Its the only Pocketable (ish) light I have that will char paper in a reasonable time.

If you don't mind that its not a surefire, and the clickie tailcap, its a great, cheap light!

Dr.K

Enlightened
Ok, I got everything I need, BUT.....

Leef 2x18650
6p head and tailcap
P91
and these batteries http://www.batteryjunction.com/2600pcb-18650.html

The light is not firing up.

I am at work, and can't test the batteries, but I'm pretty sure that they can't handle the current and tripped the protection. They tested good at home before I left. Both were 4.18V

I've got some AW's ordered, but for now this is all I have.

I tried to direct short with a paper clip to the body, and I heard a very slight buzzzzz with no action at the lamp.

Any ideas until I can get home to my multi meter?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet that because the positive terminal is so flat, that the two batteries are not making contact with each other. If you know how to solder, you can put a solder blob on top of the batteries for better contact. You can also get a rare earth magnet (Radio shack) to put between them. But for future purchases, I would go with AW batteries.

Last edited:

Dr.K

Enlightened
I had a magnet in between them, but thats alright I found out what it is.

Some of you might laugh and make fun of me, but.........

all it took was a few double taps of the button to warm the filament.

This is something I am not used to doing.:crackup:

mdocod

Flashaholic
yep, protection circuits on those cells won't light up a P91 on the first click, and that's why I am so completely utterly repeatedly adamant that people buy AW, Pila, or Wolf-Eyes cells. If you want to use the tenergy's for awhile, pick up a lower current lamp, something like an HO-9 should fire up without any problems.

Dr.K

Enlightened
It is nothing short of spectacular :drool:

It took me about 2 months to get everything together, so you can imagine my dissappointment that it didn't fire right up. :sick2:

BUT, I had a blast walking around the yard last night with it picking up limbs and trash, while sicking the weiner dogs on "imaginary cats" in the bushes.

So, is there a "name" for this light? like the...."cats eye roaster"
Or, do we call it a "leef 2x18650, p91, 6P head-n-tail"

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as You also asked for other than 2 pc. 18650 lights:
that Streamlight Scorpion 18650 sold on lighthound is a ready to go light.
runtime the same as my 6P and definitly brighter