ROP with Kai adapters vs FM adapter

fugleebeast

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I've seen this question pop up before and I was curious myself:

What is the difference between using a FiveMega 6aa-2D adapter vs using more affordable, plastic 3AA-1D adapters like the ones that Kaidomain sells?

Forgive the beamshots, these are my first ones. In general, they look a bit brighter than they did to my eye. The color is pretty accurate though and you can notice the difference in brightness pretty easy. I used the exact same camera settings, white balance, etc. for all pictures.

The light is a 2D ROP HOLA, Boro lens, Kai MOP reflector, 6 fresh charged Eneloops. There are no resistance fixes done to this light. No Deoxit was used. It is the exact same host for both pictures. All I did was switch out the battery adapters.

The purple you see in the pictures is the camera; it was not visible to my eye.

Here is the ROP HOLA with the Kaidomain battery adapters:

rophi6eneloopskaiadapteda0.jpg

Here is the ROP HOLA with the FM 6AA-2D adapter:

rophi6eneloopsfmadapterrw3.jpg

I was absolutely shocked when I turned on the light after I dropped the FM adapter in. The difference was VERY noticeable. Much whiter light and much brighter.

Now onto the ROP LOLA. Once again, exact same camera settings and host. Same light as above except now with a LO bulb.

ROP LOLA with Kai's adapters:

roplo2d6eneloopskaiadapgr2.jpg

ROP LOLA with FM adapter:

roplo6eneloopskaimopfmafq6.jpg

As you can see, there is still a difference but not nearly as large. The light was noticeably whiter and brighter but nothing like with the HOLA bulb.

My conclusions? I have no problem using the Kai adapters for the ROP LOLA bulb. They work pretty well. I'm definitely going to do the resistance fixes and Deoxit everything though.

For the HOLA bulb, I don't see myself using the Kai adapters. Compare the ROP HOLA and LOLA shots with the Kai adapters, there is not a whole lot of difference between the two. You can tell that the HOLA is really suffering from the extra resistance. Maybe if I Deoxit and Progold all the contacts on the Kai adapters that would help a bit, maybe I'll try that later.

Anyway, hope you all find that interesting.

By the way, I'm not ragging on the Kai adapters at all. They are a great value for the money and I'm very glad he offers them. I've ordered quite a few from him and plan to use them for different projects.

Last edited:

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
Thanks for the photos!

Build-quality. Kai's battery adapters have much higher internal resistance, hence the noticeable difference when switching to FM's adapter while running the HOLA. Your resistance fixes and Deoxit'ing should offset some of the added resistance from the Kai adapters.

Happy Modding,
Gary :D

kavvika

Enlightened
Doesn't it take around twice the lumen's to even notice a difference? And given than I see a huge difference....well, I think the 5Mega adapters are the way to go.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
no, it only takes about 10-15% difference to notice something is different. but even then you really need to do a side by side or one right after the other.
those pics look more like a 30-40% improvement

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't it take around twice the lumen's to even notice a difference?
Isn't that if they're not viewed side by side or right after one another timewise? Anyway, an obvious difference, and a nice practical test. Thanks fugleebeast.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried the very cheap 3AA adaptors (well below Kai's quality) in a hotwire and the difference was less in the light output and more in the shrivelled-up battery springs and deformed plastic!

I would agree that the Kai adaptors (I bought a few of his a month back) are OK in a RoP-low configuration, and my opinion is they have about the same capacity as the stock Mag reflector - about 10 or 11 watts.

Probably not a bad rule of thumb.

Right now I'm using these with #3854L, HPR71 and GH44 bulbs in a variety of ancient and modern torches, and love all of them.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
You have to remember that FiveMega has been working on his battery holders and lights for a very long time, and realizes the importance of things like the resistance and other handy features. He may charge more for various items, but you won't find a better seller in terms of service and quality. I'm not surprised that your excellent pictures show such a difference in current being delivered to the bulb.

Fivemega.gif

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh certainly.

If you want to build a RoP (or higher) with AAs, his is the ONLY choice.

Going to buy a FM 9AA myself now, as it happens.

Edit: Erm, not the ONLY choice. I believe you can also get welded battery packs...

Last edited:

RoyJ

Enlightened
Wonder if the Kai holders can be modded for lower resistance? Like soldering a piece of copper wire on every contact to contact connection.

The only problem would be trying to solder without melting the plastic.

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened
I have the same configuration in a ROP Lo 2D. The problem with the Kai adapters is more than simple resistance fixes. Firstly, 1 in 5 of my adapters arrived faulty with no negative plate attached. Not worth trying to make one up or even bothering to contact Kai. The springs will crunch up after just a few battery changes and the positive and negative bits get very close to each other. If you insist on using them then ensure the batteries haven't moved the springs so a short circuit occurs. I charge the batteries in place now. However the main problem I have noticed is that the positive button top does not make consistent contact with the Maglite terminal. The adapters themselves are inconsistent and some are better than others in this respect. While I will continue to use these adapters they are only suitable for low draws and non critical applications. Kai himself acknowledges that the FM adapters (which I use in a Mag85) are the gold standard.