supercharge 2 for $3 2d rayovac's

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
how can i upgrade these little 2d walmart lights.
is maglite xenon as bright as i can get without going over 2 cells.
basicly i think i want them brighter off of pulling higher amperage to the bulb, not higher volts.
what is the brightest 2 cell bulb we know of.
this is to hook up non-flashoholic friends at a cheap price, so it obviously doesn't need to be uber bright.
does radio shack have a high amp 2cell bulb?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You could do a ROP mod...........and melt the flashlight

You could also use 6 AA batteries and a 6D bulb(Or 5D if you are using rechargeable batteries).

You could also buy some DX lights(Like the MTE Seoul or the RC-G2) and use that to draw them in.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Dorcy (sold under Craftsman name) PR base 1 watt LED upgrade comes to mind. $15 at Kmart and Sears. Not "knock your socks off" bright, but it's useful in a range of lights, 2-4 cell, and is brighter than the incans it will replace. I picked up half a dozen on the cheap a while back, and they make nice upgrades to various old incans lying around the house. My favorite is one is a 2xAA Dorcy Gelbrite. Hangs nicely off a doorknob, but the rubber outside keeps it from scratching. The SMJLED is good for PR-2 lights, but is meant for runtime, not brightness.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok, i'm half liking the six cells driving 5cell xenon bulb idea.
kia adaptors, 2 for $6 ( i use to have some)
5cell mag bulb $2-3
cheap upgrade.

however, i'm thinking of building 10 of these and using them for givaways. friends, congreation junk drawer, etc.
so, i'm thinking if i could find a brighter 2cell bulb (besides the obvious 2cell maglite xenon) then i would be golden!
this way i can keep the build price down cause with 10 lights it adds up fast.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
dunno if they will fit but some use 3C cells in a 2D light may only work on a particular light though.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
that 8aa to 2d looks awesome.
how much is it?
is that a high voltage bulb like rop?
the review said about as bright as a 3d aluminum light, which isn't extremely impressive.
the soft start is however.

still no 2.4 volt high amperage bulb options.
probably not an option?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok, i've been doing some research and i think i like either the krypton star or xenon star from carley.

they even have some high drain if you like that kind of thing (1.3 amps) for 2 cell lights.

anyone know where i can pick a few up.
i think the maglite xenon are made by them and are from their xenon star for alkaline batteries.
2cell 2.5v .84A 2.1W 1.9 Spherical candlepower

BUT the one i want it made for rechargeables
2cell 2.5v 1.3A 3.3W 3.3 Spherical candlepower

yea runtime won't be the greatest cause alkalines suck at high drain, but is that even a high drain number for a d cell alkaline where runtime is no longer proportional. in other words, where the high drain causes runtime to more significantly be reduced!

what do you all think about that bulb i picked out and how can i buy a carley. their website seems to not have links to purchase.

also i might be able to pick up some bulbs there for my 6 volt lantern project.