Thanks Spencer....

Tom Krein

Newly Enlightened
......I THINK! :poke: HOLY CRAP this is a cool forum. I can already tell I am going to need some new lighting!! :devil: Thanks Sasha and Candlepower for setting up this forum to show case custom knives/makers.

Spencer asked me to sign up and introduce myself and my work. Here goes...

I started making knives in 1994 and shortly got a chance to go to work for knifemaking legend Bob Dozier. I ended up working for Bob for about 3 1/2 years. It was like going to knifemaking school. Bob is a GREAT guy and one seriously talented knifemaker! I owe Bob a HUGE debt of gratitude! After my first son was born I needed to make a bit more money and have benifits so I ended up going back to work in the ER (I am a Registered Nurse).

After a year of working in the ER full time and part time on my knives in my little bitty shop. A.G. Russell contacted me and asked me to start up their custom shop. I worked under A.G. and Goldie for a little over 2 1/2 years. I had a good time and made some neat stuff under the A.G. Russell ShopMade logo.

I have been working full time as a knifemaker for the last 6 years. I have been working full time as a nurse for all but the last 4 months of that. I recently was able to cut back on my nursing hours and only work 12 hours in the ER every 2 weeks... thats ENOUGH!! :D

Sooo.... what types of knives do I make?? For now I only make fixed blades. I have a few folder designs on the books, but really don't have enough time for my fixed blades. I really enjoy the strength and simplicity of fixed blades. My moto is Form follows Function in my work.

I make knives made to work and cut. They are thin, this makes them slice better and also makes sharpening relatively easy for the high wear resistant and hard steels that I use.

I work mostly in D-2 and A-2, this is good stuff!! I also use a good selection of the CPM steels like CPM M4, CPM 3V, CPM 154, and CPM S30V.

I make knives using the stock removal method. Most of the steels I use are extremely red hard and don't benefit from forging.

Here are some pics of my work....

TK-4 Drop Point in Crimson Bone.

crimsonbonetk4droppoint.jpg

French Chef Knife with a 5" blade in green canvas micarta with red liners.

dawkinschef.jpg

Here is a group of Micro Chefs with all different handles....

microchefs.jpg

TK-11 Tanto in green jigged bone, mosaic pin, and red liners.

tk11tanto.jpg

This is the Beast in amber canvas micarta with black liners.

rugerandbeast.jpg

Ultimate Caper with brown canvas micarta with black liners.

ultimatecaperbrowncanvas.jpg

TK-8 Defender with textured black/blue G-10.

blackandbluedefender.jpg

TK-7 Airman in green canvas micarta.

airman.jpg

Ultimate Boar Knife in textured black/blue G-10.

blknblueubk.jpg

I also do a bunch of regrind work on factory knives. Its amazing the transformation that happens to a HEAVY DUTY FOLDER when the edge is thinned down. The turn into great little cutters!

kershawzdpminicyclone.jpg

emersonregrinds.jpg

spydychinookregrind.jpg

regrinds11253.jpg

I do a bit of kydex sheath work also...

spydercosheath.jpg

busseadsheath.jpg

Here is a new venture that Dan Koster and myself just started. We started a new production company called K9 Knives. We just finished up this prototype and have started on the first run.

K9KnivesProto1206-01.jpg

K9KnivesProto1206-02.jpg

K9KnivesProto1206-03.jpg

Thanks!

Tom

Donny Dont

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for showing us your knives, Tom.
I really like the lines and how well the blade and handles go together.

All the best.

Joe

SAR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for coming over Tom, this place is cool and the folks are nice. Any chance you got with Lucus?

Talk to you later Tom
Spencer

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Welcome Tom. Good to see you over here at CPF. I really have been enjoying the sheaths you made for my spyderco lava. :thumbsup:

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
It's really nice to see CPF adding this section to the forums.

Cypher

Enlightened
I've read over and over about the amazing "Krein regrinds" on Bladeforums. Those are some beautiful knives. I've very much like to own a piece of your work someday.

Welcome to CPF!

Perhaps you should have a pow wow with one of the custom light makers here and put together a knife/light "Krein Kombo".

Greta

Flashaholic
Hi Tom! :wave:

I think I've done the equivalent of shot myself in the foot by creating this forum... :shakehead .... Now I'm going to have to get more shelves for more prettys... :sigh:

:welcome:

Bushman5

Enlightened
oh wow. :eek: :huh: :eek:oo: :drool: those blades are nice.....

something tells me my credit rating is gonna go to heck.....

:welcome:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave:
Welcome!
Thanks for showing your work to us. Keep the good stuff coming.