Pelican M6 Underwater Tests

brightnorm

Flashaholic
PELICAN M6 UNDERWATER TESTS

Static test: 1 Hour

More out of curiosity than great expectation, I turned on one of my M6's, placed it in the sink, turned the cold water on full, and let the sink fill while the M6 was buffeted by the intense stream which gradually calmed as the sink filled to its full eight inch depth. I returned after one hour.

Dynamic test: 15 minutes

This was a much more demanding test. I submerged the M6 and clicked it on/off at different speeds 450 times. I also banged it against the sink bottom with mild-moderate force multiple times.

Results: Static test

The light was still burning dimly when I hauled it out of the water, dried off the exterior, took the light apart and closely examined it. I was surprised to find that the interior was bone dry without even the slightest dampness anywhere within the light.

Dynamic test

The M6 never failed to light. After drying the exterior and opening the light the interior proved to be just as dry as in the first test.

Conclusion

This particular Pelican M6 proved to be fully and functionally waterproof at shallow depth. I don't have the time or patience to test my other M6's, but I would expect their performance to be at least similar to this one.

Brightnorm

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Thanks for the review. I was wondering how well it would hold up to water.

If you want to a different test you could perform another hour of the underwater test with the tailcap turned far enough back that it would be locked out. This would address the partially expossed "O" ring in the tailcap in the lockout position. I am too wimpy to try it myself. David

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Dave,

That was such a good idea that I just finished testing it in LOTC mode immersed for one hour with a partially exposed o-ring.

Result: Bone dry. Frankly I'm impressed and I won't hesitate to use it in the heaviest rain. Hopefully, Pelican will eventually get around to addressing the tailcap problem.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
Way to go, thanks.
This thread is unusally quiet? Hmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

That surprises me too. I guess it's just our usual CPF "flavor-of-the moment" syndrome.

Brightnorm

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe because it's not an SF, huh? I tell you this light continues to impress me. Maybe I'm easy but a light that's as water resistant and durable as a Maglite, focusing bezel, high lumen output, and lithium powered, comes with a duty belt quality sheath. If i were an LEO on a tight budget this light would ride on my belt. I wouldn't be afraid to lose it and could afford to keep another in my duty bag as well. Nice! Only extra I would like to see is a lanyard ring.

Still not quite as pretty as my C2 but it ain't ugly either.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Thanks, Brightnorm!

I think I just found myself a new ski light. Hmmmm.... now decisions, decisions... black or silver...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm just waiting on the bench...taking in info...it's sure looking good! I'd really like to get one in my hands.

That's the problem with so many of these lights and probably a major reason we buy and sell all the time. I read about these lights, but can't really find them in town to really "check out". So I buy and sell, buy and sell, trying to keep the inventory down but always wanting to improve that stock! All part of being a "Flashaholic" I guess!

I wish I had the funds to open up a store with an inventory similar to some of our "favorite" website retailers. Put the lights out there, teach folks, educate them about lighting technology...This is Alaska with a "zillion" hikers, hunters, fishermen, outdoorsmen....I think there's a market...may have to sell donuts on the side though! Oh and there's that several months of a thing we call "DAYLIGHT" to deal with, but on the flipside there's that several months of darkness also...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in contact with Pelican about the tail cap. They are sending me a tail cap, so I can ground the center post down slightly, so the tail cap screws down farther, yetr still remains locak-outable (is that a word?).

So far so good on both of my M6's. Glad to see they may be H2O resistant.

--dan

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Super Dano,
let us know the result. The light has it's weaknesses but none as great as the tailcap.

Off topic but I got another PM6 in the mail today. It came in a blister pack with the Energizer batteries. My other one came in a box with the el-cheapo batteries.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
if anybody has any issues with their pelican lights and waterproofness, i suggest you contact pelican customer service, and explore your options.

lighthead

Newly Enlightened
I'm so impressed with this light! ,i have to share this comparision . Brinkman lx,g2(p61), sf 8x, pt 40, and sf e2e ----- IMO it wins hands down as the" Best of SHOW or Best of Throw " in the small personal 6 volt lights. YOU WON'T be disapointed. LH

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
I'm in contact with Pelican about the tail cap. They are sending me a tail cap, so I can ground the center post down slightly, so the tail cap screws down farther, yetr still remains locak-outable (is that a word?).

So far so good on both of my M6's. Glad to see they may be H2O resistant.

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan,

Did you get a sense that Pelican might improve the tailcap? If not, would you consider some mods?

BTW, at 1.2oz that tail cap weighs almost as much as the M6's 1.5oz body.

Brightnorm

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved M6 in blister with the energizers too, but many others said they got the one in box with cheapo batteries.

Pelican is great about customer service. They replaced some lamps I bought in the past that burned out prematurely NQA. And replaced the body on a mitylite in a matter of days after the clip broke on it. I have a supersabre light that is probably 15 years old and is still a pretty bright light considering its age and the changing technology, it's completely submersible (some use 'em as dive lights) as well as being rated for use in explosive environments (although I'm not sure I am!). I'm sure they will stand behind these lights 100%. I am still amazed at the performance vs. economy of the M6.

I wonder if the spring in the tailcap will break in enough to solve the O-ring problem, it seems to me there is a decent amount of unused thread back there. Any thoughts?

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
..... Oh and there's that several months of a thing we call "DAYLIGHT" to deal with, but on the flipside there's that several months of darkness also...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigman,

It's too off-topic to get into here, but if you ever feel like posting your reactions to living in constant light alternating with constant darkness I think it would make great CAFE reading.

Brightnorm

Deviant

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
if anybody has any issues with their pelican lights and waterproofness, i suggest you contact pelican customer service, and explore your options.

[/ QUOTE ]

fc990be3.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anybody has issues with tkl, I suggest you contact Deviant and explore your options.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifLMFAO! Once I get my PM6 and the water gets warm I'll test it to 25-30' snorkeling.