Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

dutchguy2

Enlightened
Please can somone explain to me why this 6P is so damn good. I have several other lights like a Mag 5D, Mag 2C, a Fenix P3D, and some no name models.

Some of them throw more light or have greater reach but none of them is overall so good as my P6!

Is it its size, is it the bulb, the looks, the feel, all of them??

What are your feelings about the 6P??

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, I'd say it's all of them :eek:

I really, really like the 6P. It is a really great design. A classic. Very simple, clean design. Great size and shape; it feels very good in the hand.

Its practicality is also very impressive. If the stock configuration is not to your liking, then the chances are that you can adjust it to how you want it. Add a KT1 TurboHead for vastly increased throw. Add an A19 extender and run it on three SF123a batteries, using the P90 or P91. With three cells you also have the option of using the KT2 TurboHead. Add a KR2 conversion kit and you have a rechargeable 6P. The recent release of the P60L lamp assembly has added further to the modularity of the 6P, allowing to to easy swap out the stock incandescent lamp assembly for an LED. Other models such as the 6PD, 6PN etc further allow you to get a 6P that is right for you.

Not to mention the fact that no light looks as good as a well worn 6P :thumbsup:

Regards,
Tempest

cenz

Enlightened
Yup, I'd say it's all of them :eek:

I really, really like the 6P. It is a really great design. A classic. Very simple, clean design. Great size and shape; it feels very good in the hand.

Its practicality is also very impressive. If the stock configuration is not to your liking, then the chances are that you can adjust it to how you want it. Add a KT1 TurboHead for vastly increased throw. Add an A19 extender and run it on three SF123a batteries, using the P90 or P91. With three cells you also have the option of using the KT2 TurboHead. Add a KR2 conversion kit and you have a rechargeable 6P. The recent release of the P60L lamp assembly has added further to the modularity of the 6P, allowing to to easy swap out the stock incandescent lamp assembly for an LED. Other models such as the 6PD, 6PN etc further allow you to get a 6P that is right for you.

Not to mention the fact that no light looks as good as a well worn 6P :thumbsup:

Regards,
Tempest

Modular concept is powerful for upgrading. I think 6P is a standard component.

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
I don't that there are many other lights that have the package size as well as the power and the ease of customization that the 6P has. There are both incan and led option from dozens of companies. Plus, with a Pyrex lens and all aluminum construction, it can take the heat and the abuse.

It is also a very simple light. Think about it, the switch is momentary, not much to break. If you get led, it basically indestructible!:twothumbs

If you have it stolen or lose it, it can be replaced for around $50.

Last edited:

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
Please can somone explain to me why this 6P is so damn good. I have several other lights like a Mag 5D, Mag 2C, a Fenix P3D, and some no name models.

Some of them throw more light or have greater reach but none of them is overall so good as my P6!

Among pretty big Surefire M/L/A/P collection are are a C3, C2/M2, but the 6P is still a darling. I don't EDC it because it they are a bit bulky compared to today's wonderfully bright EDC lights (Fenix) that I've switched to but I still love the 6P. Why, I don't know...When I break out my 16-year-old 6P (it does fanny pack time with a snubbie revolver) I'm amazed at how well it's held up.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the very simple design, there's less that can go wrong. From an engineering and design standpoint it makes more sense, too. As the old adage goes, "don't fix it if it ain't broke"!

Dudemar

woodlandmand105

Newly Enlightened
I HAVE HAD MY 6P FOR LIKE 6 MONTHS AND IT IS A BEAUTIFUL LIGHT. LIKE TO OTHERS SAYED IT IS A CLASSIC. AND THE ALUMINUM I AWESOME. :twothumbs

jslappa

Enlightened
I also love the 6P.

Like others, I also think the C2 is a logical upgrade to the 6P. It still fits the 6P sillouette, plus the convenience of a clip, lanyard, cigar ring and 4 flats for a better "Surefire" grip.

Again, let me say that I love the 6P too.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P is great. I prefer the C2 though, for the HA finish and the better grip. To me it's worth the extra price of admission. I also like to align the filaments horizontally with the grip for the widest field of vision.

That's not always necessary though with most LED drop-ins and certain incan lamps. Aside from that, it just looks cool.

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
The well thought out design, the quality manufacturing, the simplicity, the beam quality, the durability, the lamp and reflector as a single unit, the size (small enough to be pocketable yet big enough to offer sufficient throw for most common uses), reliability in extreme conditions, the company that stands behind each one, …

Need more reasons?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is from 2007 :poke:

Old does not equal bad and new does not equal good. This thread could be from 1987, it doesn't matter! The Surefire 6 and the 6P still stand among the all time great lights. The platform has proven the test of time. If you're uncomfortable with the quality or versatility, there are plenty of lights out there that are not easily upgradeable and have few aftermarket parts. Enjoy! :wave: