G2® LED impression this is one extreme....

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mly tough light. On the surface of things.

My first Surefire was/is a 6P I still have it.
It is green (rare)
One thing I learned about 6P's is that it was not a good idea to drop them while ON. The globe broke if they take a fall while ON.
So surefire made a special head which was a shock absorbing head for the 6/9P series of lights. they absorbed the high G's if dropped saving the globe. Was this a design to get us to either buy more globes or more accessories. I did both.

Cut to 10 -15 or so years later and I still have that 6P. I run it with a P61 globe.

So I got to thinking the new LED globe which they say puts out 80 lumens costs $39.00 and theG2® LED goes for 65. I want one of those new LED globes. I went to the local gun shop to get one but that didn't have any but they did have a
G2® LED.
So I bought one.
This unit seems to be a hybrid with the Nitrolon tail and switch assembly and an aluminum head. Not a bad idea since the emitter will generate some heat. I doubt it generates as much heat as a stock p61 but it certainly warms up. Surefire definitely wanted these to last a long time. Gone it seems are the days where you have to buy a shock proof head and multiple p60 and P61 globes.
At $39.00 the LED globe alone is a fantastic value. I used to say that about the kl3 head at $60.00.

So what I have here is an incredibly durable high quality can't go wrong twist it and it goes on LED flashlight with a momentary push button operation as an option. To many the perfect flashlight.

As time marches on I may report here how this light is doing. Others have literally dragged this light around on miles of rocks and not had it fail.

The point is this for around $65.00 you can buy a light which you can shove into your trunk and let it sit for 5 years and just when all is lost you have this beauty to light your way a real life saver. Or you can toss this into your tool box bang it around and treat it like your worst enemy after 6 patron's and it will come back swinging.
No matter how you look at it the G2 LED is a great beginner to advanced flashlight. If you are new and want a basic light to start with this is it.
If you are an old-timer but would never spend the kind of Money Surefire asks for their stuff finally they have a LED light without a sky high price tag.
I believe this light would be just as at home on the battlefield or the workshop.

I love aluminum. I have a lot of aluminum flashlights. But I have got to tell you this NITROLON stuff is a very dense material. I doubt it is glass filed but it may mot need to be it is HARD maybe just as hard as aluminum.
I don't know for sure but it is HARD tough stuff.
The G2 LED has a very solid feeling in your hand. It is a good size. The beam is very nice.
If I were to be at all critical I would say the emitter runs a little on the COOL side and could use a little warming up. Lottery I am sure.
BTW I love the idea that I can pull the LED based globe out and stick it into one of several body/head combinations I have instantly converting them to LED and cheap too.
OK there you go I am a surefire fan no doubt.
I find it very hard to find anything wrong with this flashlight.
I look forward to figuring out ways of really abusing it.
Some rainy nights on a late night movie set ought to do it some good.
I am sure some of you already have this sucker I would love to hear about how much you Love it or hate it.
Have a great day.
Yaesumofo

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one of these (G2L Nitro) yesterday morning. And dropped it on the concrete, while lit, the same night. A small scratch on the bezel is the extent of the "damage". So nitro now has a battle scar; no problem - chicks dig scars. :)

I'm probably the last person on CPF to ask for a review, though. This is the first light that I've paid more than $10 for. But I like it a lot. Of course, after seeing this puppy light the tops of the pine trees last night, I'm now power hungry - going for triple digits on the lumen count next time! :devil:

Steve

planex

Newly Enlightened
I agree that the G2 LED/P60L module is a great upgrade. Brighter, with much longer run times, extremely durable at a decent price with a lifetime warranty, and the ability to move the module to other lights makes it very versatile as well.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the G2 LED/P60L module is a great upgrade. Brighter, with much longer run times, extremely durable at a decent price with a lifetime warranty, and the ability to move the module to other lights makes it very versatile as well.

I am sorry, I don't get it... Manufacturer rated the G2L is 80 lumens and 12 hrs runtime and the P60L dropin is also 80 lumens and 12 hrs runtime...why do planex said it's brighter and longer runtime??? P60L have less of a blue tint, that's why it's brighter?

-E

pipspeak

Enlightened
what exactly is the difference between the G2 and 6P LED, other than slightly different bodies?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something else occurred to me about this light.
With the aluminum head it also makes a good host for use with the new and next gen (future and present) drop in globes both incancescent and LED based.

A good heavy duty relatively inexpensive host is a good thing.
I was just comparing the G2LED against the KL3 this evening.
WOW we have come so far I am amazed.
OK I will give you the fact that the beams are totally different. the KL4 is a tight spot type of beam while the G2 LED has much more flood..while having a hotspot which is very close in terms of brightness. I will put the G2 LED on the Meterman 631 here and get a snapshot of these outputs compared. What is more important really is that Surefire has managed to build a nice LED based globe in the P60L. I look forward to this globe in different colors.

There is so much more technology in the KL3. Drivers, emitters, TIR optics. In it's way the KL3 is an amazing hunk of technology. and as I said in my first post a true bargain at around $60.00.
Obviously Surefire who has always made money in selling globes has a very profitable globe in the P60L. There is a great use of existing technology getting put together to create a new high quality part which will be hard for most 6P 9P and G2 users will find hard to resist.

I also like the fact that the P60L will work with a 9V body like the 9P.
That is a good thing.

The other thing about dropping the G2LED is that you would be hard pressed to find any damage at least on the tail end. I may install this head into my stock G2 so the whole light will be NitroLOn.
Hmmm...
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
None really. The G2 is a Nitrolon version of the 6P. A budget version if you will.
Now that the new G2 Led has an aluminum head the difference is less clear.
The G2 doesn't have the same set of accessories like switch options and head options.
As far as I know, functionally they are identical.
Yaesumofo

what exactly is the difference between the G2 and 6P LED, other than slightly different bodies?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe he is comparing the G2L and P60L to the 6P and G2 (the incandescent versions).
The stock G2 will output 65 lumen's for about an hour. Clearly the G2L puts out more light for a longer amount of time.

The Cool tint of the emitter has little to do with run time. The P60 globe being an incandescent globe is much warmer. As the batteries become weak it becomes warmer and dimmer.
Yaesumofo

I am sorry, I don't get it... Manufacturer rated the G2L is 80 lumens and 12 hrs runtime and the P60L dropin is also 80 lumens and 12 hrs runtime...why do planex said it's brighter and longer runtime??? P60L have less of a blue tint, that's why it's brighter?

-E

93Chevy

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased at G2LED and was extremely impressed with how bright the LED was compared to the P60 lamp. It literally lights up my entire backyard, 1/8 acre, and lights up the side of my house. I'm very impressed and my next purchase will be a surefire LED with 100 lumens.

Garand

Newly Enlightened
I bought one last week. At first I was not too impressed with this light but over the weekend I spent some time with it comparing it to my other lights and I have changed my mind.

I would recommend it to anyone.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have now leggoed my G2 L.
I have replaced the light source with a malkoff M60 Q5. I replaced the tail switch with a Z48 clicky from surefire. I don't love the z48 much but it beats the hell out of a stock nitrolon surefire g2 tail switch. I sort of wish it was a z49. It would match better.
I don't care much. The point is now I have taken a perfectly good G2L and frankenstein/leggoed it into a good mixed use tool with a hellofa bright beam. This will likley change in to another light before long.

I have stuck the G2L's p60L into an old stock 6P. A perfect home for it.

I am quite sure that I will not be buying many more incandescent surefire globes. I will still need to feed my KT2/3 with high output globes but that is about it.
Yaesumofo

wishywashy7

Enlightened
So what I have here is an incredibly durable high quality can't go wrong twist it and it goes on LED flashlight with a momentary push button operation as an option. To many the perfect flashlight.

No matter how you look at it the G2 LED is a great beginner to advanced flashlight. If you are new and want a basic light to start with this is it.

I believe this light would be just as at home on the battlefield or the workshop.

I find it very hard to find anything wrong with this flashlight.

amen, brother :twothumbs but somehow i find myself EDCing my 6P more. Your post was a sign I should be spending more quality time with my G2:laughing:

dougie

Enlightened
I already own a couple of G2's and a 6P but I bought a G2L with the Aluminum bezel a few weeks back. Just like someone else here I also 'acquired' a nick in the bezel from a dropping it onto concrete. However, for me the G2L is a logical improvement by Surefire for lights which use a P60 bulb.

The improvement in useable battery life and from not having to replace bulbs every 30-40 hours is brilliant. IMHO the light now becomes slightly more dependable in an emergency as the LED is potentially less likely to fail at a crucial moment.

For those of you who don't use a head light but utilise your teeth to hold the G2 in your mouth the Nitrolon is just very, very, kind.

As a paramedic mine is used all the time and is now my favourite EDC duty light. If I only have one criticism it is that the bezel is type 11 anodised and IMHO should be HA matt black. That way it would match the matt finish of the black Nitrolon and be much more resistant to wear.

For those that say it's not bright enough or it's too tint is to blue that may be true, but I figure that the Surefire warranty and the quality of manufacture is more than a recompense.

Doug;)

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
yaesumofo,

I was reading this thread for the first time and was thinking about the Malkoff drop-in, but I was going to refrain from posting about it.... and then I read your update. :D The drop-in makes a huge difference, does it not?

I currently have a 6P and 9P, both with drop-ins from Gene. I *WILL* have a G2 very soon. I'm starting to think that the G2 is the best of the bunch.

Fird

Enlightened
Hey, does anyone make multi-level tailcaps for the G2? I'm considering a G2 + Malkoff + multi-level tailcap (if the regulator in the Malkoff can do that).

elt1

Newly Enlightened
My department recently switched their duty issue light from the Poly-Stinger to the G2L. I gotta say the Stinger was a solid workhorse of a light- mine took a pounding and delivered some as well.
But its nice that now everyone has a quality LED light thats pretty much bomb & idiot (very important- believe me) proof... at least people will stop asking me "Where'd you get your light from?"
(Actually no they won't cause mine will either be a G2L with a Q5 drop-in/Milky ML1/Fenix P3D. Now they'll just ask "How did yours get so bright?" :D
In addition, we get the V70 holster & free Surefire batteries... I may have 1 or 2 batteries in my Fenix :grin2:(hey its for work too!)

Numbers

Enlightened
Hey, does anyone make multi-level tailcaps for the G2? I'm considering a G2 + Malkoff + multi-level tailcap (if the regulator in the Malkoff can do that).
Check out OpticsHQ they are selling a dropin with multi level tail cap kit for the G2. There is a thread here, somewhere too.