New LED idea

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking today about a custom light I have been planning based on tri emitters, and a standard single reflector, and it dawned on me...

why not remake the Luxeon V, with todays current rebel LED's putting out up to 180 lumens at about 2.6 watts, 4 dies could be run at about 8 watts or even 12 watts, and produce about 800 lumens from package the size of a Luxeon LED. With the curves these lamps are outputting in terms of l/w , it only makes sense to run multiple dies at lower current for more l/w. It would be a great LED in my opinion.

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I noticed that Luxeon has like three emitters on one die. I was wondering if that would be better than the current crop of P4's and Q5's that are running around.

Please fab together such a light as that and report back how it does. I think you are onto something that really deserves investigation. Particularly when you could stuff 12 AA batteries in a 3 D light, you could reall put some power to that tri-emmiter. Love to see it done....and it certainly would be simpler than trying to put 3 or 4 led with rings and spacers and insulating the rings from the emitter. I think you get the point. One die, one reflector....easy.

Bob E.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently Luxeon produces a multitude of single die LED's the Rebel, Lux 1/3's 2 different K2 and 1 4 die LED the Lux 5.

The rebel being the smallest and most efficient LED they make, and the smallest LED around.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
> 8 watts or even 12 watts, and produce about 800 lumens from package the size of a Luxeon LED.

Geez, I was going to post where to get a 30-36 amp hour battery pack so I could run a 3 watt for 10 practical hours (light under this running time aren't useful for daily use. Maybe a 5.5 hour quickswap, but swapping 12 AA is not a quick swap.)