HELP!!I Need a race light.

nightracer

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I am a brand new user, I dont know any of the flashoholic abbreviations....so sorry for my noo-b-ness. However I find myself highly infatuated with getting vey bright flashlights. Anyway, I need a very bright backup light for night racing on my dirtbike. I have a trail tech lighting system that puts out plenty of light,(5000 lumens) but last time I was racing everything that could possibly go wrong...did. and I had no lights and was 30 miles from nowhere.:scowl: I only had a little 80 lumen light that I had to tape to my front fender to get back to the pit area. by the time I got back to the pits I had dropped from third to 24th place.:( So what is your suggestions, I would like 500 lumens or more and rechargeable if possible, money is not really an object. Obviously the lighter the better, no bigger than a 4D Maglite, 90 minute runtime(minumum). Thanks for you help!!!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Try the Transportation Lighting area.

I'm thinking 3-6 Cree XR-E Q5 LEDs driven by these drivers(after you cover them in epoxy to make them tougher, all you will need in one or two), a good sized heatsink(CPU kinds should do fine), and powered by a suitable battery pack. The would be the cheapest way IMO.

3 Q5 LEDs with the above setup should get you 570 lumen at the LED and 6 should get you 1140 lumen at the LED. If you use 6 LEDs and presuming a 14.8v and 3000 mA battery pack, you should get 2+ hours runtime.

What beam pattern would you like?

:welcome:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just get 2x Fenix P3D Q5's, at a bit over 200 lumens each (maybe somewhat less in real life, instead of the manufacturer's rating of 215).

You get two bike attachments from Fenix store that can fit the Fenix's and put them on the handlbar.

For the weight, you can't beat the combination, I don't think.

As to the rechargeable part of your wish list, you might have to use the RC123's, although why not primaries, as this is your backup lighting system. The primaries at least are supposed to last for 1.8 hrs (manufacturer's rating), which is about what you said you need.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dirt bike as in motor powered, or leg powered?

If it's former, some sort of head lamp with multi cree that use 12V power supply, wired into bike's electrical system.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which trail tech light are you talking about? The brightest one I can find is around 3000 lumens.

For a backup light, take a look at the lupine betty (1400lm) and wilma (800lm) series of bike lights. The smallest battery pack would easily do 90 mins. If you are looking for a cheaper single unit then look at the Wolfeyes thunder or storm (570lm). If the flashlight is likely to take a beating then look at the Barbolight U-15 (new version with KLC8 LEDs)

Last edited:

JB01245

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you need an Amoeba light! Take a look at this thread - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=354430

ameoba_moto_x_front.jpg

ameoba_moto_x_back.jpg

ameoba.jpg