It finally happened, a power killer storm!

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope it makes it down here to Ft. Liquordale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, those are fantastic picts, I especially liked the oneof your office kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

and then totally off topic, on your main page you mention "Semper Fi" Do you say this because you were/are a Marine? Whats the etiquette for me saying that, should I just not cause I'm not a Marine? Or can I say that to someone to show my support. I have gathered from some folks that there is a certain amount of sensability about similar things between the folks that have served and those that have not. Just don't want to get myself into trouble, or offend anyone!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I am a former Marine and as far as I am concerned it is A- OK for anyone to say Semper-Fi. You could probably offend someone but I don't see why. It's a remark of respect and support and you can tell them I said so! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am chuckling right now. I was guessing "Klaatu Barada Nikto" was some place in Japan. I know better now.

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

Dave,
That hail stone looks pretty big! Did the hail cause any major damage? Nice photos, BTW!

Dan.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
...I am a former Marine ..."Klaatu Barada Nikto"...

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Dave, Dave, Dave...Once a Marine -ALWAYS a Marine! (I was an Airman and will always be an Airman - retired though still a "Wingnut")..."Klaatu Barada Nikto"...(soon to make a return! Stay tuned...) and let us not forget "Robby the Robot"!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
TacticalWarehouse/DTM,
That was one of the bigger stones. Most were between pea and marble size. I don't think we have any appreciable damage but will know more tomorrow. It was one of those storms where everyone stands outside and watches the approach. I had no idea it would get so wild when I started shooting. I am not prone to shoot weather but this one looked special and I wasn't disappointed. The power of nature blows away anything man can invent. They exploded that 21,000 pd. bomb about 30 miles from us yesterday and we didn't feel or hear a thing. On the other hand I bet they felt this storm.

David

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Holy commoly!!
Pictures 5, 6, and 7 look like they're of a wall cloud! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Any tornados or waterspouts from that storm?!?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Not that I have heard of but we felt the same way. I missed the news tonight so I will have to check the paper in the AM. I didn't want to admit it but that's the initial reason I grabbed the camera. It really looked like it had potential for activity.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Albany Tom said:
What are the two olive drab lights on the right side of the kit?

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Pelican L1 "Government Models", Frank was selling them over at "CountyComm", but I'm not sure if he has anymore.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
The pack holding the gear is a Corvette owners manual case. I think that one is a 1997 model. It came with the Corvette LED pen at the top. They are great for holding torches and extra batteries but hard to come by unless you have a Vette, which I don't!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
Holy commoly!!
Pictures 5, 6, and 7 look like they're of a wall cloud! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Any tornados or waterspouts from that storm?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my first thought - I looked at the early photos, saw the shelf cloud, then the photos of the wall cloud. The NWS would probably LOVE to have larger copies of those photos for Skywarn Training

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
I am a former Marine and as far as I am concerned it is A- OK for anyone to say Semper-Fi. You could probably offend someone but I don't see why. It's a remark of respect and support and you can tell them I said so! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Last November 9th (Note the date), I was waiting for the Subway at Penn Station here in NYC, when 2 Marines in Full Dress (Including carrying a sword case) came walking down the platform in the opposite direction. When they came to me, I said "It's a day early, but 'Happy Birthday'"

I got a double take, and got a "Semper-Fi" - Made this dumb fat civilian feel good

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
KC21XE,
The Marine Corps birthday ball is normally held on the Fri. or Sat. night before or on the 10th.

My memories of the Dress Blue uniform are that it looks great but feels like a straight jacket with a TID collar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Looking at the Calendar, it was Friday the 8th - the 10th was a Sunday last year - who knows

I can picture that the Dress Blue is uncomfortable

Anyway, like I said, they were a bit surprised to be wished a Happy Birthday on a subway platform in NYC