Upgrading Fenix L2D-CE P4 to Q5 - how?

meuge

Enlightened
I have a Fenix L2D-CE P4, and I wonder if anyone on this board has upgraded the LED and could provide some insight into the method for the upgrade.

I presume one has to heat up the head (with a dryer?) to open it up, but then I do not know how the LED is mounted, and what I have to do to change it out.

I'd appreciate it if someone who has done the upgrade would chime in... most especially if someone could help me with the part(s) list for purchasing (as in - which Q5, star or bare, and from where...).

Thanks in advance.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Bare emitter, arctic alumina glue, solder. Heat and 2 thick leather padded vicegrips. Heat up and twist, then de-solder leads. Scrape off old emitter, clean up glue spot. Solder leads to emitter first then attach to heatsink while centering. Reverse can cook led while trying to gain enough temp to overcome heatsink and melt solder. Leave head open while curing to prevent lens fogging. Hope you get it centered properly, it can be tough.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solder leads to emitter first then attach to heatsink while centering. Reverse can cook led while trying to gain enough temp to overcome heatsink and melt solder.

Sorry didn't quite get that, wouldn't you want to attach the led to heat sink first so the heat from solder has somewher to go?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Nope, I want the heat to quickly melt the solder and thats it. Not to charge up the heatsink with high tem's waiting for the whole package to get hot enough for the melting job. Heat to LED would be about the same either way but for me I'd rather have it exposed to it for as brief a time as possible. Using the correct iron wattage/heat setting helps too. But hey do it whichever way you feel more comfortable. Just reporting my methods, not the only way.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh okay I see, thanks.

Tried to open my p3d without success, the rubber strap wrench I have is too big to get a grip. Didn't try vice grip because it's my only pocketable light and I don't want to break it.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
First apply I apply heat then I use a really thick leather belt cut into sections. 2 Vice grips 1 on head 1 on threads. You can boil in baggie, hairdryer, or heat from high wattage setting of soldering iron laid on bezel too. Biggest difficulty for me is patience.