4 Sevens        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'secret' Photon auto-off mode? Freedom and Rex; 3 min. w/ ramp

Ooo 'secret' Photon auto-off mode? Freedom and Rex; 3 min. w/ ramp

Hello,

Have I found a 'secret' method to activate a 3-minute auto-off behavior for Photon Freedom Micro, and also for the new Photon Rex (rechargable 4-LED keychain light)? All web posts I've seen so far about this (even from Photon staff) say an auto-off mode is not available on the Freedom -- are these posts wrong? (Note: what I've seen does _not_ seem to be the 10-second, no-flashing, Point-of-Sale (POS) mode.) Can anyone else replicate the below on their own Photon lights, and/or tell me where I should have been looking to learn this or other 'secret' Photon features/firmware Easter-eggs?
    = Activate Auto-off: =
    1. Enter Signal/Morse-code mode by rapidly pressing button 4 or more times in succession. (button should act as momentary-on for any press < 2.5 seconds)
    2. Press and hold button. Continue to hold after light turns off; continue holding until after light emits a short flash, then release button . (No hurry, you can wait many seconds after you see short flash to release button)

= Use Auto-off: =
    3. After step 2,, light will be in normal (Continuous) mode with Auto-off activated. Turn ON light with either short button press (straight to full brightness) or press-and-hold for ramp-up from dim to full-brightness. (Can then also ramp-down to a lower brightness, and/or advance to a flash or SOS mode)
    4. Around 2 minutes, 50 seconds after ON, light will blink once, then begin slow dimming ramp. Ramp is about 10 seconds for full brightness, shorter for dimmer
    5. Around 3 minutes, 0 seconds after ON, light will reach 'off' in the dimming ramp.

= Deactivate Auto-off: =
    (enter and leave Signal mode)
    6. Enter Signal mode by rapidly pressing button 5 or more times in succession.
    7. Press and hold button until light goes off, then release button. (e.g. do not wait the extra seconds for 'blink')
    ...or...
    (engage 'smash' protection)
    8. From off, press and hold button about 40 seconds, until light cycles through modes a few times, then turns off. Release button.
    ...or...
    9. Other methods???

Dimming ramps seem to be from the current brightness setting.

The flashing and SOS modes will also auto-off -- so this 'secret feature' could be a safety hazard if it is active one is in expecting light to signal or summon help for hours/days unattended. I hope that in my next emergency-beacon-requiring situation that I remember to deactivate auto-off..

Note also that this is still not a perfect 'lock-out' to prevent unintentionally draining batteries when light is in pocket or bag and not in Signal mode. Battery drain could still happen with a 40-second 'smash' (deactivates auto-off) followed by single press (turns on light; stays on until battery drained or user notices). But this seems much lot less likely than the normal path to battery drain: a single press. Also less likely to happen than the beats the 3 second press, single press condition required to drain batteries from Signal mode.

Above works for both my years-old Photon Freedom, and my days-old Photon Rex. Worked across multiple turn-ons as long as I stayed away from Signal mode.

I just noticed this last night, so not sure how long auto-off stays activated if one does not deactivate it-- for example, could deactivate after given amount of wall-clock time, number of turn-ons, or auto-offs, or after other press combinations/functions, or battery change (likely) or recharge. Maybe if can find some time to experiment...

Let me know if this works for you, or if I just have some weird lights....

Cheers,

Bazzers
    Last edited by bazzers; 12-12-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Default Re: 'secret' Photon auto-off mode? Freedom and Rex; 3 min. w/ ramp

Yes, you've found a hidden feature. The auto-shutoff has been built into the chip for some time (a couple years I think), but is not an advertised feature. I'm not certain, but I believe there was some legal issue with advertising the auto-shutoff feature, so it was just left as a hidden 'easter egg' feature. To my knowledge, you're the first person to discover this secret auto shut-off mode. Congratulations. :-)
    Bryan Avery
    PhotonLight.com: Photon LED flashlights, Leatherman tools, PowerEx batteries/chargers & more.

Flashaholic

Wow, if you're the first to find, quite a post #3 on CPF. Welcome bazzers.

Nice find bazzers. Now I'm wondering what other hidden features are out there that we're unaware of. I'm assuming you know of the 50% brightess/power trick, correct?
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

WOW.... simply WOW !...

Great find Bazzers...

nothings happening......im actually scared that it will overheat...lol..too much time around crees..
    oh well, it needs new batteries anyway....

Crenshaw

EDIT: about 30 seconds later...

UBER COOL!!!!
    lol i love how Photonlight confirmed it straight away....the freedom circuitry really is marvelous, probably the best UI we've seen

PS: Bryan (Photonlight) was wondering, is your job by any chance to watch CPF for photonlight and alert them to anything concerning it, sounds like a fun job...? or are you the owner of photonlight?

Congratulations bazzers!!
    Great find

WOW! Thanks. This also works with my original 6 led proton, Cool.
    Question, Does leaving the light in this mode draw any current from the battery?

Grinser2 Re: 'secret' Photon auto-off mode? Freedom and Rex; 3 min. w/ ramp

Awesome find! This is implemented now on my freedom and will be on my Rex!

Photonlight: Any other secret modes we should know about???
    Last edited by phatalbert; 12-13-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Nice find bazzers. I've got my Proton set now in this mode. Thanks.

Geoff

Enlightened

How long do you have to wait for the "flash" after putting into SOS mode, then holding button down till it shuts off? I have held it for 2 min and no flash.

I think this would be a great feature to have. Good find.

Ready
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Theodore Roosevelt

Not having auto-off was one of the primary complaints against the Freedom. There goes the weakest link. This light has been on my neck for two years now, this new feature will come in handy for my kits and bag strap lights. It also got me drooling for a ReX and Proton.
    Last edited by AlexSchira; 12-13-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post

PS: Bryan (Photonlight) was wondering, is your job by any chance to watch CPF for photonlight and alert them to anything concerning it, sounds like a fun job...? or are you the owner of photonlight?

I'm the owner of PhotonLight.com. Unfortunately, I don't get enough time to check CPF as regularly as I would like, but just happened on this post since I've been trying to follow the ReX comments the last couple days.
    Bryan Avery
    PhotonLight.com: Photon LED flashlights, Leatherman tools, PowerEx batteries/chargers & more.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonLight View Post
    I'm the owner of PhotonLight.com. Unfortunately, I don't get enough time to check CPF as regularly as I would like, but just happened on this post since I've been trying to follow the ReX comments the last couple days.
    Awesome, congratulations on such awsome little lights

Crenshaw

Flashaholic*

Welcome to CPF bazzers. NICE FIND!

@this is nascar: what is the 50% power trick?

Grats and .

I love the Photon UI. Now I love it even more. God I can't wait to get my Rex and my new Cree'd Pro.
    1) Neutral white, it's the new black. Heck, it's not even "new" anymore.
    2) User Interface... KISS.
    3) Proprietary cells and battery packs - Just say NO!

to bazzers --

Way to Go !

Oh, and welcome to CandlePowerForums !

Looks like yer' gonna' fit right in.

_

Thanks, I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by LED_Thrift View Post
    Welcome to CPF bazzers. NICE FIND!

@this is nascar: what is the 50% power trick?
    On the Freedom or the Proton (I'm assuming this still works with the Pro, since the UI is the same), press to activate and as soon as the 1st blip of light comes on, let go. Then, press again to get to what level you want. This will allow your light to be running in 50% power/brightness mode for that particular activation. On the white Freedoms it's really nice, since you only have a white beam to deal with. On the Proton and Pro, it works in the RED LED mode only.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

Thanks!

Been playing with this on the Proton. In slow flash it will still turn off, but it takes somewhere around 15 min. Also, the red seems to stay on a bit longer than the whites. Neat trick. I wish there was some way to adjust the timing. Maybe there is.

Geoff

Hello,

Thanks, Bryan Avery, for the incredibly quick reply. And thanks, Candlepower folks, for all the warm welcomes and kind words!

Over the weekend, thought I was on the trail of an additional Freedom/ReX mode or two, but nothing yet. A few days ago, managed to find what must be the 'shortcut to SOS' that's advertised as provided with purchase of a Doug Ritter edition of the Photon Freedom (and apparently once came in some of the Photon instructions) -- although was clean-room reverse engineering in this case, promise.
    Also noticed a couple of minor as-yet-undocumented ReX features, which I'll add to the ReX thread.

Cheers,

Bazzers
    Last edited by bazzers; 12-18-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Flashaholic*

Seems like my earlier
    Congradulations Post !

Never made it into the thread.

I have one small note: unlike the Fusion, it seems that with the Photon Pro when the Red Beam is in Signal mode, it is at 100% power, not 50% power mode as is documented for the Fusion here: http://forum.photonlight.com/50-powe...vt1158-30.html

bazzers, thanks for the tip. My Proton seems to just dim to off. Unless I'm missing it, there's no blink first.

I've been trying for the past 30 minutes to set the auto-off mode on my Freedom, but I seem to be doing something wrong.

How long should be waiting after the light turns off for the "short flash?" I've held the button for 2-3 minutes several times, and I assume that I should be seeing something sooner than that.

Despite repeated attempts, I have not succeeded in activating auto-off mode (at least not a ~3 minute auto-off). Do I have a defective thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by theamazingrando View Post
    I've been trying for the past 30 minutes to set the auto-off mode on my Freedom, but I seem to be doing something wrong.

How long should be waiting after the light turns off for the "short flash?" I've held the button for 2-3 minutes several times, and I assume that I should be seeing something sooner than that.

Despite repeated attempts, I have not succeeded in activating auto-off mode (at least not a ~3 minute auto-off). Do I have a defective thumb?
    My Freedoms wouldn't program either. I'm wondering if they're too old for the feature. I have it working on my Protons.

Another mode I've found is a 'quick' way to SOS mode.

Press and hold to ramp level to the flash...and then release as soon as the LED's extinguish. You'll immediatly be in SOS mode...

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtoo View Post
    Another mode I've found is a 'quick' way to SOS mode.

Press and hold to ramp level to the flash...and then release as soon as the LED's extinguish. You'll immediatly be in SOS mode...
    This documented mode is also present in the Proton, as well as a mode which allows the light of the RED and WHITE LED at that same time. I'm not sure why anyone would ever what to do that, but you can if you'd like.

Good work Bazzers. And I thought I had photolights figured out.

I wonder what other surprises are out there...

Flashaholic*

This thread needs to be bumped up.... in light with the other easter egg thread of NovaTak.

Dear Mods, would you consider this as a 'stiky' ? It's very useful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast