Spyderco Help

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ok guys, I would like your opinions, comments, and ideas on a few folder.

I currently EDC the following:
Victorinox Rambler, or Classic Alox
Swiss-Tech UtiliKey
Victorinox Pioneer or Soldier

I would like to add a slim folder to that list. I like a little heft, and ruggedness, so plastic scales are out, and solid stainless steel bodies are in.

I have a small army of ~300 knives in my collection, but no quality folder that fits the bill.

With that in mind, I have been looking at some different Spyderco's (assume all models are the SS versions):
Delica
Endura
Police

Some of their cheaper line looks ok too, but most have sharp corners on the handle which I think would scratch my hand in my pocket.

I am open to other brands with similar styles, but I have had poor luck with autoassist open such as Kershaw Leek (ouch!)

I prefer plain or combo edge. No frame locks, but reliable liner locks ok. I would like to keep the price under $100. I know that Walmart has the Delica II for $49, so I'm in no real hurry to get this. Most likely, I will just keep an eye on Ebay until a good deal comes around on a model I want.

Comments? Suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys, I would like your opinions, comments, and ideas on a few folder.

I currently EDC the following:
Victorinox Rambler, or Classic Alox
Swiss-Tech UtiliKey
Victorinox Pioneer or Soldier

I would like to add a slim folder to that list. I like a little heft, and ruggedness, so plastic scales are out, and solid stainless steel bodies are in.

I have a small army of ~300 knives in my collection, but no quality folder that fits the bill.

With that in mind, I have been looking at some different Spyderco's (assume all models are the SS versions):
Delica
Endura
Police

Some of their cheaper line looks ok too, but most have sharp corners on the handle which I think would scratch my hand in my pocket.

I am open to other brands with similar styles, but I have had poor luck with autoassist open such as Kershaw Leek (ouch!)

I prefer plain or combo edge. No frame locks, but reliable liner locks ok. I would like to keep the price under $100. I know that Walmart has the Delica II for $49, so I'm in no real hurry to get this. Most likely, I will just keep an eye on Ebay until a good deal comes around on a model I want.

Comments? Suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks.

Knifeworks has the Endura in ZDP-189 steel for under 80 bucks, that's the ultimate folder in cutting power and egde retention in this price point hands down! Two flavors to choose from: http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8568 http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8567

Last edited:

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Couple of things:
Why no framelocks?
The stainless steel handles on the Spydercos look nice, but I'm not generally a fan of them for any kind of hard use. They're simply too slippery and good luck if your hands are wet, no matter the liquid. FRN scales/bodies like on the Endura's OF posted links to, are plenty strong, and you're simply not likely to break them unless you abuse them or regularly get set on fire.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Couple of things:
Why no framelocks?
The stainless steel handles on the Spydercos look nice, but I'm not generally a fan of them for any kind of hard use. They're simply too slippery and good luck if your hands are wet, no matter the liquid. FRN scales/bodies like on the Endura's OF posted links to, are plenty strong, and you're simply not likely to break them unless you abuse them or regularly get set on fire.

The SS has the right weight to it, and the slickness lets it slip in and out of my pocket without abrading on anything. If I need grip in wet conditions, the Vic Pioneer/Soldier I carry has some texture, or I'll grab something else. I don't like framelocks because in my experience they are finicky and make too much of a compromise between function and weight savings. Liner locks have proven to be more reliable, and backspring locks being even more so.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on the SS handles. I personally consider them kinda useless.
As for the framelock thing, in the immortal words of the Virgin Mary, "come again?"
If anything, framelocks are a simpler lock, and a far stronger one than linerlocks. A properly made framelock sacrifices nothing to weight savings.
What framelock knives have you used or handled that has led you to this belief?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have had Kershaw and Gerber framelocks not fully engage, and close on my finger, once with a worrysome outcome (it's all healed up now, just a small scar...). I've had linerlocks do similar, but only on very cheap knives.

For this purchase, I prefer a quality lockback, partly because it takes a deliberate effort to actually release the blade. I have never had a quality lockback fail on me.

For now, I am leaning towards the Delica II, for it's smaller size and ability to switch the clip from point up to point down carry. However, I have had the chance to handle a Police from a cop friend, and it did impress me very much, so if I run across a good deal on it somewhere, it will probably end up in my collection also.

Now, if I can just find a TSA Lot confiscation on Ebay that has both :whistle:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had any folding blade knife lock fail on me. If I had a framelock that did not reliably engage every time I opened it, i'd get myself a new knife. Gerber and Kershaw would fix them if you had a problem.

For framelocks, I have had a few kits, a bunch of buck's, and a CRK and never had the lock not engage... My linerlocks were all solid (one with LAWKS made me feel better, but was never needed) as well, but I have only had a few and two of those were Strider/Bucks. I've never had a lockback fail either.

Go for what you trust and feel confident with, but don't be afraid of a certain lock type if its from a quality manufacturer.

schiesz

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I own a Spyderco Police model. Very nice folder, but I don't EDC it. The length of the blade is just over 4 inches. It's not street-legal where I live. Safe to say, it's not street-legal in many places.

The SS Endura is under 4 inches, and street-legal in some places. If it's legal where you live, it should make for one tough as nails EDC knife.

The SS Delica is the ideal size to EDC. Some say it's too heavy though.

Also consider the Spyderco Lava. (SS only).

carrot

Flashaholic
For framelocks, the Kershaws I'm a little surprised at, but with the Gerbers, that seems to be the norm.

Personally I don't like the SS versions as much because they are not as grippy as G-10. G-10 wears in nicely and will give good grip but not abrade your pockets too much. In my experience, none of the Spydercos will tear up your pants, however. (I have a LOT of Spydies.) Every other brand I've used, including the Chris Reeve Sebenza will eventually wear out your pockets from the clip.

I do not think the SS Delica is slippery enough to warrant grabbing an Alox SAK over one, as the handles are designed well. Keep in mind that the thumb jimping provides excellent grip as well. If I EDC'd a SS Delica I'd probably put some nice filework on the underside of the handles by the index and middle finger to enhance the grip even more.

Last edited:

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
I have a Navigator that I like a lot. Smaller than the Delica, it's still well designed and fits my hand. With its all-stainless construction, it's a tough little knife.

With the Delica or Endura, as long as the weight isn't a problem, you could pick either one. They're among the top sellers in folders for a lot of good reasons. From what I've seen the Endura seems almost as big as the Police, but at a lower price, generally.

For carry, I used to favor an FRN Delica. It's almost effortless to carry. I finally retired it (lots of great memories; I didn't want to lose it) in favor of the Navigator.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Last edited:

fugleebeast

Newly Enlightened
I like the new Delicas and Enduras much more than the last generation. The new generation has a less pointy tip which makes it much more durable and also as steel liners under the FRN which adds quite a bit of heft to it and makes it feel much more solid. I prefer it to the SS handle because of the extra grip and you don't have to worry about it getting all scratched up.

The only thing I don't like about the Endura is the size, it is a rather large knife. However, if you're in the market for a large knife then it's great. They use a nice steel too. The VG-10 is easy to sharpen and holds an edge well.

The best part is the price. Online you should be able to find a new Delica for about $50.

IMO, I wouldn't spring for the ZDP on the Delica or Endura. In my experience, the ZDP works great with a full flat grind like the Calypso Jr. I've heard though that it's not quite as amazing with different grinds. Also, there's been some reports of the blade chipping and some people find it very difficult to sharpen.

mikehill

Enlightened
ZDP is a truly great steel, but will be difficult to sharpen "in the field" as it is so hard. I'd go for a Delica in VG10.
What's the problem with framelocks though ? I EDC a Small Sebbie and you can't open it by accident ... no way. It will never fold up on you either :cool:

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
No current and likely future blade steel will be difficult to sharpen with diamond hones. They're light enough to carry in the field as well.

mikehill

Enlightened
Maybe you have the technique. I know I can only sharpen them well on a Tormek or , just about, on a Sharpmaker. Not something I would want to carry round. In an emergency something like VG10 or 154 could be done on a rock :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Maybe you have the technique. I know I can only sharpen them well on a Tormek or , just about, on a Sharpmaker. Not something I would want to carry round. In an emergency something like VG10 or 154 could be done on a rock :D

If you can sharpen 154CM on a rock, you got ripped off!

ATS-34 is a b*t*h to sharpen out in the field. (Main reason why I prefer AUS-8. Won't hold an edge as long, but more rust-resistant than ATS-34 and easier to sharpen).

154CM being the American version of ATS-34, forget about ease of sharpening out in the field.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
It's an acquired skill. Just learn it. Teach yourself. Read a book about it. You didn't learn to walk, swim, or ride a bike the first time you tried it either. Anybody can do it. And frankly, if you can't sharpen a knife with a diamond or ceramic hone, you're not likely to be able to sharpen much of anything on a rock. It's the exact same skillset required.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's an acquired skill. Just learn it. Teach yourself. Read a book about it. You didn't learn to walk, swim, or ride a bike the first time you tried it either. Anybody can do it. And frankly, if you can't sharpen a knife with a diamond or ceramic hone, you're not likely to be able to sharpen much of anything on a rock. It's the exact same skillset required.

Regardless of skill, it does indeed make a difference whether you use a diamond hone or a rock. With some steels, it makes a huge difference.... And this is coming from someone who has sharpening skills. :D

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
So carry the ******* diamond hone! It's not rocket science. All this crying about "super steels" being hard to sharpen is ridiculous. Use the right tool for the job. Diamond hones can be had for less than 20 bucks, they're credit card sized and they last for a very long time. There is simply no credible excuse to not use them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So carry the ******* diamond hone! It's not rocket science. All this crying about "super steels" being hard to sharpen is ridiculous. Use the right tool for the job. Diamond hones can be had for less than 20 bucks, they're credit card sized and they last for a very long time. There is simply no credible excuse to not use them.

Well.... After you calm yourself down a bit, hopefully you'll realize I wasn't complaining that certain steels are harder to sharpen than others. I was pointing out to another CPFer that if he can indeed sharpen 154CM, using a rock, then perhaps he was ripped off.... as in, the blade isn't really 154CM but perhaps a lower quality steel. That comment though was made with a bit of fun thrown in.

Then again, would you like to make the claim that it's easy to resharpen 154CM, using only a rock?

mikehill

Enlightened
Well ... I am out of this thread ... I was stating what I have found, and others knife nuts I know have found. Merry Xmas guys :thumbsup: