Black Moon LTD

Thread: PLEASE HELP THE NEW GUY!

Default PLEASE HELP THE NEW GUY!

Hi guys, I am new here and was looking for some suggestions on a flashlight for everyday carry.I want extremely bright,doesnt have to be majorly small...I was looking at the Fenix T1 and the Jet II....I could use some help here and preferably need to stand under $100.thanks

Default Re: PLEASE HELP THE NEW GUY!

why not a SureFire 6P LED from opticshq.. you get a nice discount from opticshq too.. or even better a SureFire L1 Cree.. I think you will like the price opticshq have for us in CPF..

T1 is a bit big for EDC. What lights do you have, and what have you EDC'd before? Do you have a lumen expectation or runtime preference. Flood or throw? Battery preferences AA AAA CR2 123- Li-ion rechargeables? Clicky or twisty switch? Multiple output levels a must? I know this is a lot of questions, but it will help us all get to where we're going much faster.

If the multi-modes don't bother you, try the Fenix P3D Q5. About $65, and turbo mode is very easy to access; and very bright.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    T1 is a bit big for EDC. What lights do you have, and what have you EDC'd before? Do you have a lumen expectation or runtime preference. Flood or throw? Battery preferences AA AAA CR2 123- Li-ion rechargeables? Clicky or twisty switch? Multiple output levels a must? I know this is a lot of questions, but it will help us all get to where we're going much faster.
    I have a scorpion by streamlight now.
    Have had a Surefire E2E..wasnt impressed with brightness.
    150-200+ range for lumens.
    cr123 batteries unless I can get a pretty bright light going with AA.
    clicky switch
    output levels not a must,but nice.
    Gonna carry mostly in jacket pocket or holster,pocket carry would be good in summer.
    I'm new to all this so ask away if you need more info

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    If the multi-modes don't bother you, try the Fenix P3D Q5. About $65, and turbo mode is very easy to access; and very bright.
    I have had a few suggest that one lately

Flashaholic

Both that you are looking at are pretty decent lights although the T1 as an EDC light (especially for pocket carry) might rip some holes through the Levis pockets with such an agressive tailcap on it. As a small nice everyday carry (if u want uber-bright) try the P3D-Q5 or even smaller P2D-Q5. Or a similar AA style that Jetbeam makes (Jet 1 MK IIR) etc.

If your looking for a less bright but possibly arguably better quality light (not argued by me... im just saying...) try a smaller surefire.

L2D Q5 if you want to be able to use NiMH AA's

Ok...here is another question? Doesnt the P3D require 2 hand to turn on rather than the Clicky button of the T1???

Quote Originally Posted by pens-66 View Post
    Ok...here is another question? Doesnt the P3D require 2 hand to turn on rather than the Clicky button of the T1???
    nope, you just press the button on the back and it's on (same as the t1 i think), then light presses switch between low, medium, high, and sos. but it does take two hands to switch it in and out of turbo mode.

oh and definitely +1 for the p3d.
    Last edited by shroomy; 12-13-2007 at 12:53 PM.

1st get a newer KX2 head for your E2e you won't be disappointed. Then get the T1 it rocks.

If you want 2 AA batteries, the L2D-CE Q5 should work. About 150 lumen out the front on turbo. Same UI as the P3D so you don't have to twist the head to turn the light on or off. there is also a 8% off coupon at Fenix Store for CPF users, "CPF8".

If you want a bright ans easy to upgrade light, look at the Dereelignt CL1H.

+1 on any -Q5 from fenix, you will luv it, and then buy more!

welcome to CPF!
    Shinning on

Ok..one most question here guys...got some telling me to get a Surefire 6P and get one of the BOG or Molkoff drop ins and I'll hit 200+ lumens.true or not? and would I still be better off getting the Fenix T1?

Flashaholic*

I vote for the T1.

I would not rate the 6P extreemely bright. Therev are many brighter choices.
    Just about any of the cree q5 based FENIX lights will fill the bill. They are all less than $100 way less and the Q5 emitters are VERY bright especially for their size.
    the Dmini is a VERY bright THROWER which is inexpensive.
    The Surefire L1 while is a great light is not EXTREEMELY bright.
    For this he needs to go to a well driven Q5 emitter.

Quote Originally Posted by di.corp View Post
    why not a SureFire 6P LED from opticshq.. you get a nice discount from opticshq too.. or even better a SureFire L1 Cree.. I think you will like the price opticshq have for us in CPF..
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Well I think I narrowed it down to either the Fenix T1 or a Surefire 6P with a drop in lamp...what do you think?

Well I think I narrowed it down to either the Fenix T1 or a Surefire 6P with a drop in lamp...what do you think?
    Either should be decent. I don't have a T1 but it might be hard on pockets. The 6P I have is old, and I'm having trouble getting a drop-in to fit right. It will be easier on pockets. Both these lights are a bit large for EDC for me, especially considering how bright the new smaller lights are. I've been testing P3Dq5, L2Dq5, L1Dq5, P2Dq5 for EDC for the past few weeks, and now just starting to experiment with a Proton PRO. I'm finding that the L1Dq5 is really quite adequate and easy to feed on one Hybrid HiMH AA. It is very bright, not the brightest, but within less than one f-stop of the brightest, so the difference is noticeable but not large. If I really need that small increase in light I will carry the P2Dq5 or the P3Dq5. While I like my 6P, it does not compare in size efficiency to these new smaller lights, and getting a drop-in to work reliably has not been easy, at least for my older 6P.

-- Alan

I thought about that a while back (the 6P with a drop-in) but i was put off by the type II anodizing it had. I don't know if that's an issue for you.

Also, there's speculation of a new version of the T1: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=183158

so many different options